Cleaning Obsession

Cleaning Obsession

This is a discussion on Cleaning Obsession within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's nothing that beats a successful day of shooting, but like all good things there must be an end. But does it really have to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Cleaning Obsession

Cleaning Obsession

There's nothing that beats a successful day of shooting, but like all good things there must be an end. But does it really have to end after the last round is fired? For me personally I have equal anticipation to race home and bust out cleaning supplies as I had on the way out to the range. Call it a cleaning obsession, a ritual. A way to extend the experience after my weekly ammo allowance is expended. The joy of sitting back in my chair and turning on my favorite Pandora station. You can't buy this sort of peace with therapy. What I would like to know is if there is anyone else out there who enjoys a cleaning ritual of their own. I know a lot of people that despise the process of cleaning their firearms so I wonder, which is the minority?
    Pyzik, Snub44, Mr B and 1 others like this.

The smell of Hoppe's is addictive !
    Yes I enjoy the ritual and will never put a fired gun away "dirty". Hopefully I've
    passed that attitude on to my children and grandchildren. I don't consider it an
    obsession as much as good firearm maintenance. My 02.
    moonraker, pistola and Ksgunner like this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

I find cleaning my guns therapeutic.
    GH and Naufragia like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Cleaning Obsession

I truly hope you're not in the minority. Firearms maintenance is a critical part of responsible gun ownership. Enjoying the experience makes it likely that our children/grandchildren will follow suit.
    moonraker likes this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Cleaning Obsession

I hate cleaning anything. My guns, the dishes, the car, etc. I do clean the gun, but not RIGHT after the range. It may take a day or two...ok, maybe a week... I'm not overly concerned, I've taken it shooting a couple times within a few days of a previous range trip without cleaning it in between and it gave me no problems whatsoever.

I enjoy the cleaning almost as much as the shooting. I clean and oil my EDC every two weeks if it hasn't been fired.

I tried an experiment one time. Put 1,000 rounds through my CZ without cleaning, just to see if it would jam up. Darn thing wouldn't stop, so I went ahead and cleaned it anyway, because I couldn't stand it any more.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I look at cleaning guns the same as wiping my butt; a dirty job that needs to be done and nothing glorious about it. There's no "Ready for inspection, sir!" afterwards.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I started the obsessive cleaning regimen with the first pistol I owned. While I don't get so aggressive quite so often, these days, I am fairly rigorous in keeping things clean and functioning well. Particularly on defensive guns, it's hard to do it any other way. I'd hate to be faced with the alternative to a crappy regimen that I could have corrected if only I'd had the will to do so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Cleaning Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I look at cleaning guns the same as wiping my butt; a dirty job that needs to be done and nothing glorious about it. There's no "Ready for inspection, sir!" afterwards.
    Lol! I appreciate your sense of humor, sir!
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

always enjoyed it

GH
    Since over-cleaning was an obsession in the Army I've gotten in the habit & find it very enjoyable. Since my range gun is also my EDC it becomes as important to me as having my assigned weapon ready for battle at all times. It must be clean & not overly lubed. Clean mags & ammo as well.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

What I would like to know is if there is anyone else out there who enjoys a cleaning ritual of their own. I know a lot of people that despise the process of cleaning their firearms so I wonder, which is the minority?
    I do. I'm sure I clean mine beyond what's necessary for adequate maintenance but I like doing it. It's part of the pleasure.

Can't say I enjoy it. I see it as part of the package of gun ownership. use em = clean em
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I used to be obsessed about cleaning my guns. Then I found out that most rifles get ruined by over cleaning. I clean them when they need it.
    OldVet likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links