Why is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many bullets? - Page 3

Why is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many bullets?

This is a discussion on Why is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many bullets? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 You train with the issued carry ammo so there will be no difference in function of the weapon. The muzzle flash ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Why is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many bullets?

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    You train with the issued carry ammo so there will be no difference in function of the weapon. The muzzle flash will be the same, the recoil will be the same. Also if someone forgets to unload and reload all of their magazines they are not hitting the street with FMJ training ammo. The info is out there if you have the time to look, but you might be surprised when you see the numbers.
    I've heard this before, and it's still BS. I can find practice ammo that has the same recoil, velocity, and cycling as my carry ammo. I can remember to empty my range mags, clear my weapon, and load my carry mags. It's pure laziness in spending someone else's money.

Your insight on maximum bids is eye opening. Having some (very little) experience with gov. bidding, that actually makes sense. An oxymoron in gov. work, right?

To suppress the uprisings by the serfs?
    CharlesMorri and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I've heard this before, and it's still BS. I can find practice ammo that has the same recoil, velocity, and cycling as my carry ammo. I can remember to empty my range mags, clear my weapon, and load my carry mags. It's pure laziness in spending someone else's money.
    But does it also duplicate the bullet profile? If not you may have feeding issues with the duty round that would not show up with the practice rounds. The only product line I am familiar with that takes that into account is the SXZ line from Winchester that is sold at Bass Pro. That line is built specifically for that purpose.
    But yes it is part laziness but also recognition of the fact that they have to set their SOP for the lowest common denominator in their workforce. And it simplifies logistics. You only have one product to stock. It is kind of a fail safe for them in that if they have any ammo in the locker it is safe for the street.
    Your insight on maximum bids is eye opening. Having some (very little) experience with gov. bidding, that actually makes sense. An oxymoron in gov. work, right?
    That little snippet from the actual contract language is from one of those big purchases. It specified 194,000 of this, 80,000 of that 500,000 of something else. Litterally tens of millions of rounds in assorted calibers. The term of the contract was for one year with four optional one year extensions. As protrayed in the media it is for five years and hundreds of millions of rounds. In reality it only obligates the government for one year and even if interpreted as being one thousand rounds of each load specified that would be less than one hundred thousand rounds total.

If people bothered to read the documents they could see for themselves that this is all overblown bull puckey. But the chicken little media types are counting on their viewers/listeners to not care enough about the truth to look for themselves.

ETA: And of course that is also how the government is buying and stockpiling billions of rounds of ammo. All you have to do is take the maximum that the contract could be for (over it's potential five year term) and say that is what the government bought. Now when the government solicits again a year later to see if they can do better than renewing the existing contract, you add the maximum potential purchase on that contract to what you say they already bought.

And that is how you can turn what in reality could be only a couple of thousand into a billion.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

So even if the "government" is buying the ammo, supposedly, why is it so hard to find .22LR? You can't tell me that the "government" needs this ammo too, LMAO. Even if I can't go to the range because I don't have "range ammo" for my pistols or hunting rifle, I would still like to go with my kids and shoot the .22 but I can't find any ammo for that either.
    kb2wji likes this.

Why is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    1.5 billion rounds over 5 years. That isn't much, heck SIXTO shoots that much in a month!
    That's only one per man, woman and child per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrb7 View Post
    That's only one per man, woman and child per year.
    Sixto can double tap you with a single shot.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Homeland Security is an Agency without a mission. There are no INVADERS. There are no TERRORISTS. The whole thing is a farce. It's a police force to be used against the people of this nation, when the time comes that enough people wake up to the reality that the govt. is NOT working in our best interest, but instead stole the couffers, bargained away our lands and assets and robbed us of our true freedoms.

That's what they need the ammo for. ;)

It's not a conspiracy. Homeland security is preparing for Obama to drag our country to the ground through economic collapse in order to usher in his dictatorship. They are preparing for martial law when the economy collapses in the next couple years. That's why the police are getting drones and tanks. And that's why they are preparing concentration camps for veterans and anyone who believes in the "old" constitution. What better way to take over a country than to let it fall economically, and in the confusion, void our constitution for a dictatorship. No one will know what to do and he will be in charge

BAC
    Did anyone even read the article? There are 90 agencies and about 70,000 agents and officers under the DHS. ICE alone is getting about 650 million rounds over the next 4-5 years; the IHS guys/gals under ICE probably do quite a bit of shooting on their own, to speak nothing of the thousands of agents in ICE that are not in IHS. The FBI has over 13000 agents, Secret Service some 4000, US Border Patrol has over 20000... all of whom do a lot of shooting. Law enforcement at local and federal level has been trying to improve their shooting for years and as a result are shooting more now than they had in the past (this is a good thing). I'm very curious what kind of bulk discounts they're getting.

The lack of critical thought here baffles me. If you aren't buying ammo to prepare for war, what on God's green earth would make you think law enforcement is?
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

JD
    Administrator

I think they just guessed that Obama was going to be reelected and wanted to order as much ammo as they could before we bought it all.

LE was hit by the same ammo crunch we were in '08.

Yep. I read the article.

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If people bothered to read the documents they could see for themselves that this is all overblown bull puckey. But the chicken little media types are counting on their viewers/listeners to not care enough about the truth to look for themselves.
    Ain't that the truth!

Still, it doesn't take a million rounds to ensure reliable cycling. Always using premium duty ammo is an excuse for laziness and wasting other people's money. Use it or lose it budget appropriations.

Re: Why is the Department of Homeland Security buying so many bullets?

http://journalexpress.net/local/x364...ng-ammo-market

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

DHS is our future national police force...consider this interesting video I received recently.

Gun Control Works

Gun Control Works - YouTube
    Snub44 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links