The Rifle Book, by Jack O'Connor

This is a discussion on The Rifle Book, by Jack O'Connor within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine lent me his 1964 edition of Jack O'Connor's 'The Rifle Book'. I'm not very far into it, but I found this ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zacii
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Ratpacker

Thread: The Rifle Book, by Jack O'Connor

The Rifle Book, by Jack O'Connor

A friend of mine lent me his 1964 edition of Jack O'Connor's 'The Rifle Book'.

I'm not very far into it, but I found this gem in Chapter 3:

It is probable that the American M-1 has made every other military rifle in the world obsolete and that the next great war will be fought entirely with semiautomatic infantry rifles. But it is equally probable that for many kinds of sporting use, particularly when precision shooting and telescope sights are in order, the semiautomatic will never be popular.
    I found this statement quite humorous given the popularity of the Stoner rifles today.

I also found it a little short sighted, as it was/is inevitable that advances in technology will eventually produce better and better designs in all things.

If I end up with a Model 70, in .270, you'll know why

This book was originally written in 1949, I believe.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You'll have to remember that in his day, and at that time, semis were not known for accuracy, not near what a good bolt action could acquire. Even today, if it came down to putting one and only one bullet on target, most would prefer a well-built bolt action over an AR.

And as popular as Jack and his theories were, several have been disproven or made obsolete. It's called progress.
    zacii likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The philosophies of O'Connor were for the most part, true then, and some hold water today.
    The same may be said of Jeff Cooper......... sad; that relevancy leans toward the new& innovative. Although I still believe the .270 rifle, I have, will shoot as tight groups as anything made today.[O'Connor] & My choice of battle rifle is .308 (Scar17) as opposed to the popular .223 poodle popper.[Cooper]
    oneshot likes this.

I have my copy of that famous O'Connor work and still enjoy reading it. I admire the rifles and big game hunting of that era and O'Connor wrote with a very admirable style.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links