Personal Handgun Safes FAIL

This is a discussion on Personal Handgun Safes FAIL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was looking for personal handgun safes to keep small fingers out and possible something to store in the car, and ended up stumbling ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ventus
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Personal Handgun Safes FAIL

Personal Handgun Safes FAIL

So I was looking for personal handgun safes to keep small fingers out and possible something to store in the car, and ended up stumbling upon some Defcon videos related to gun safes. The link below shows the lack of security these common personal handgun safes offer.

Skip to the last few minutes if you don't want to listen to a lecture, although there is clips of them being professionally opened and Stack-On's lack of care.

DEFCON 20: Safes and Containers: Insecurity Design Excellence - YouTube

Here is another one from a previous conference:

Caution: F-bomb dropped in first 10 seconds...

DEFCON 19: Safe to Armed in Seconds: A Study of Epic Fails of Popular Gun Safes (w speaker) - YouTube
    Fisher10 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Probably a good thing for people to see and realize...faulty security.
    I did insert a warning for language, but still think the vid has merit.
    Diddle likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not all handgun safes are created equal. The inexpensive, Chinese made electronic ones leave a little to be desired. Look for a mechanical pushbutton lock and a better made box that is not 16ga steel. Extra holes, backup keys and gaps just create more insecurity. These won't be in the $100.00 range.

have not had a prob with my biometric gun vault has worked fine for 2 years

I've got a bulldog that I haven't had and problems with. It has a combo lock and a backup key lock (I don't keep the keys on the premise). I've go it lagged to the floor and am comfortable with it's security.

I bought a Ft Knox with mechanical lock , seems pretty tough and well built as it should be for a $200 night table item. However I intend to buy a safe to secure rifles, ammo and the remaining handguns. Just haven't decided the intended purpose yet. One that would deter a casual thief/teenager might be $500 or so ( I only have 2 rifles but plan to add a shotgun and maybe one more rifle). One that would provide reasonable fire protection and security against a more determinetd thief would possibly be 3-4 times as expensive in the size I need. So still mulling it over.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Good info. Sadly due to the language you can't really share it.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I watched this for a few minutes, and found it to be more drama then realistic for everyday life. There is NOTHING that is secure given enough times, skills and money. These experts are very very specialized in bypassing locks. They even admit that one of their companies specializes in the creation of tools to get past locks.

My gut tells me they are trying to sell one of their own products. I quit watching after all the "we are the experts, we are so smart" and when they badmouthed a lot of companies.
    Last edited by DMan; February 16th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I watched this for a few minutes, and found it to be more drama then realistic for everyday life. There is NOTHING that is secure given enough times, skills and money. These experts are very very specialized in bypassing locks. They even admit that one of their companies specializes in the creation of tools to get past locks.

My gut tells me they are trying to sell one of their own products. I quit watching after all the "we are the experts, we are so smart" and when they badmouthed a lot of companies.
    Totally agree. We're just trying to make it not worth their while, dissuade them into moving on to an easier target, or slow them so they are caught in the act.

OP mentioned small hands. These work fine for childproofing (if not, what are you teaching your kids ). This is my main concern.

They are passable for cars. Most thieves are breaking glass and grabbing whatever looks valuable. If they bring tools, it's to steal the car. Your Ft. Knox cabinet safe bolted to the frame won't protect your gun then. In this case, I have insurance. I think the $60 safe would absolve you from liability (who knows with today's liberal judges).

A wooden box with a padlock is better than nothing. I have a very inexpensive pistol safe in my closet that is cabled to the floor. I paid 30 bucks for it.( department / LEO safe purchase program) It has a digital keypad and a manual lock. Is it a 500 dollar fire proof, ninja proof, coffee making, shoe shining machine... nope. It protects my guns from young hands and prying eyes. Nothing is truly safe in a safe but it serves its basic functions well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Notice this safe is the cover photo in the first OP slide show link?
    My take away- be aware of customer recalls. Cribs kill kids too. Some products are crap, some have unforeseen defects. Remember, the guys in the videos are at a convention selling security devices. They do educate and provide expertise. Their information is good, but they are still selling products.

If you want to secure your firearms, you will need to spend serious cash ($1,000 +) for a high end floor safe and secure it to your foundation. I have a Gun Vault for mobile temporary storage. I'm realistic about its deterrence, not absolute security.

My Dad's belt was a good enough security deterrent for me. The rest is trying to slow the honest people.

Links