How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

This is a discussion on How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Weatherby vanguard s2 is a Japanese made gun, but I bought it a couple of years ago when the s2 line first came out, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

Re: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

My Weatherby vanguard s2 is a Japanese made gun, but I bought it a couple of years ago when the s2 line first came out, so they may or may not have changed. If they are still howa barreled actions, then at least that portion of the rifles are Japanese... Excellent shooting rifle either way. My 300 win mag shooting 210gr berger vld hand loads is a 3/4 moa rifle if shooting smaller groups of 3 rounds or so. It does string some if it heats up too much.

As far as made in America or not, I don't get too hung up on that with firearms. I just try to buy the highest quality I can afford for the task at hand / budget available. On bolt guns it isn't uncommon for me to spend more on the optics than the rifle itself.

sent via iCarry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I avoid buying junk. If the quality isn't up to speed, I pass on it, regardless of where it comes from. For those who tout "American made," it needs to be "American Better" to survive in today's market.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Re: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

"Made in America" doesn't factor into any of my purchases, including guns. If two items were basically the same (similar price, similar features, etc), I'd maybe go for the American one but otherwise I don't pay attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Is there a reason you only have American-made guns?
    I'm not against imported guns. But in the last few years I have been drawn more and more towards revolvers so my collection has increased in Ruger revolvers.

Glocks don't fit my hand well but I acknowledge their quality. H&Ks are out of my price range. I don't like how Springfield masquerades itself as an old American armory when they are really from Croatia or somewhere thereabouts. Sigs are good guns but not up my alley, same with Beretta. I've read/heard that Bersa and CZ are good quality but I have no experience with them. Taurus are just plain junk. I know I'm missing some of the other major imported brands but I've covered the main ones I know of.

Guns are one of the few remaining well made products produced in America. On another subject I would not even consider buying a modern American made car. The Japs, Germans and Koreans produce far better products. My family had a run of bad luck with Fords and has soured us all on American cars.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It doesn't. I seek what meets my criteria. Have typically purchased firearms that have been made in the U.S., but several have been European made.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm not a "made in America" kind of guy, in general, so it doesn't factor into my gun purchases.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I like to buy excellence, or at least what I want. This is really an issue for us in MI where there can be a lot of peer pressure to buy American cars. Seems odd to me in a country that values freedom that people would scorn you for exercising it, but I acknowledge their right to their opinion.

That being said, my next vehicle purchase is likely to be a Ford and my next gun will probably be a Colt 1911 (hope they're still an American company).

I buy made in America firearms only. I have made a conscious effort to do so. Sure, I'd like to own some SA or G Lock's but I don't. Maybe someday when the money is flowing like honey, but as for now all of my guns are purpose guns. I don't have a "fully round" collection yet. For example: HD Shotty is something I lack.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    I like to buy excellence, or at least what I want. This is really an issue for us in MI where there can be a lot of peer pressure to buy American cars. Seems odd to me in a country that values freedom that people would scorn you for exercising it, but I acknowledge their right to their opinion.
    I agree, wholeheartedly.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    I buy made in America firearms only. I have made a conscious effort to do so. Sure, I'd like to own some SA or G Lock's but I don't. Maybe someday when the money is flowing like honey, but as for now all of my guns are purpose guns. I don't have a "fully round" collection yet. For example: HD Shotty is something I lack.
    Why have you made a conscious effort?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

we live in Global economy. I buy what is best suited for the job at an affordable price. I will not support inferior American Union made products just because
    they were made here....and I acutally avoid anything that I can that is made by a Union. My mommy didn't promise me a $50 hour job with a high school education,
    and I don't think Unions are "entitled" to it either. If Unions can produce a product and still be competitive in the marketplace, then kudo's to them.
    If not, they should be eliminated.

...buy Austrian.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I buy the best (according to me) firearm within my budget I can find.

I'm in the market for a full size, high cap, striker fired, polymer framed, 45acp, without an external safety, without a mag disconnect, and without an internal lock. I'll look for guns that meet that criteria and try them out. All things being equal, I'll buy American. all things are seldom equal though. I'll not compromise on my requirements or on quality in the name of consumer patriotism.

I don't care where it comes from just as long as it works and functions like it should.
    BigCityChief and Taurahe like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    I don't care where it comes from just as long as it works and functions like it should.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    we live in Global economy. I buy what is best suited for the job at an affordable price. I will not support inferior American Union made products just because
    they were made here....and I acutally avoid anything that I can that is made by a Union. My mommy didn't promise me a $50 hour job with a high school education,
    and I don't think Unions are "entitled" to it either. If Unions can produce a product and still be competitive in the marketplace, then kudo's to them.
    If not, they should be eliminated.

...buy Austrian.
    Or a country that shares a border with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links