How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

This is a discussion on How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Most of my guns are American made. That in itself is not a deciding factor on whether I buy it or not. If I like ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

Most of my guns are American made. That in itself is not a deciding factor on whether I buy it or not. If I like it and the reviews on the gun are positive, I'll probably buy it. I don't really care who made it.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    My Weatherby vanguard s2 is a Japanese made gun, but I bought it a couple of years ago when the s2 line first came out, so they may or may not have changed. If they are still howa barreled actions, then at least that portion of the rifles are Japanese... Excellent shooting rifle either way. My 300 win mag shooting 210gr berger vld hand loads is a 3/4 moa rifle if shooting smaller groups of 3 rounds or so. It does string some if it heats up too much.

As far as made in America or not, I don't get too hung up on that with firearms. I just try to buy the highest quality I can afford for the task at hand / budget available. On bolt guns it isn't uncommon for me to spend more on the optics than the rifle itself.

sent via iCarry
    That very well could be Sir, their web site only mentions the Mark V. Weatherby® Mark V® Rifle Production Coming Home | Weatherby.com
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?
    I consider these factors, listed in order of priority:

1. Does it meet my functional requirements? The gun has to have the features I'm looking for including acceptable handling.
    2. Is the specific model known for good quality? I want it to perform reliably and durably.
    3. Does the manufacturer stand behind their product by providing good customer service and warranty? If I have a problem with the gun, I want to have a good experience getting it resolved.
    4. Is the ammo affordable? I'll spend a lot more on ammo than the gun and if the cost/round is reasonable, I'll shoot it a lot more.
    5. Is the gun affordable? If multiple guns meet the preceding factors, I'll buy the less expensive one if it costs less by a considerable margin.
    6. Is it American made? If multiple guns meet the preceding factors, I'd rather spend my money in-country where my friends, relatives, and countrymen need jobs.

I have never consciously thought through this, but I think that pretty much describes how I buy things in general except of course #4 would not apply for other kinds of products.

Being American-made will certainly swing a gun into favor if I'm choosing between similar firearms, but it's not a top priority. Lots of junkers are American-made, and lots of quality weapons are made overseas. "American" does not equal "good".

Re: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That very well could be Sir, their web site only mentions the Mark V. Weatherby® Mark V® Rifle Production Coming Home | Weatherby.com
    Love the mark V rifles! Beautiful firearms....I just wish I could afford them more often. :)

sent via iCarry

If I'm on the fence of two comparable guns, say the Glock 17 or S&W M&P 9, and all is equal, I shoot both equally well, cost isn't an issue.. I go smith all day every day because of the American made factor
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

VIP Member
    I try and purchase Made in USA but with todays market conditions its not always possible.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I just go for quality over where they are made. I have noticed a trend that I have though and I noticed that I prefer pistols made in Germany and Austria and rifles made in America.

I don't care where its made. I care about the quality.
    remington79 and Taurahe like this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quality before country...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When it comes to a buying a tool for defense I don't care where it's made or what it looks like, only that it performs reliably and accurately.

Not at all. I buy quality from wherever its made. Its like cars...make a good American car and I'll buy it. Otherwise, its back to the Honda dealer every 3 years.
    Taurahe likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Quality, form, function, and reliability are my first considerations. Made in America is great, but I won't be a slave to that requirement. Presented with two weapons that equally meet those criteria, I would buy the American made product provided I did not have to pay a premium to do so.

Re: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

Obvioulsy functionality and reliablity as the top factor in my decision. But like most people, cost wieghs heavily when all criteria equal out.

Understanding that it's a global economy, I will try and purchase Made in USA, but it's not always possible.

Intresting enough, as I think about my collection, I own more American made firearms (S&W, Ruger, Ithaca, Remington, Mossberg, and Crown City arms) then I do foreign-made (Glock).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JJBat150; February 17th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.

SDG
    I won't buy an inferior product simply because it's made in the U.S. but I definitely do my homework prior to purchasing and will buy American made if it meets my criteria. Keeping my money stateside is a win for myself and my countrymen.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links