How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference? - Page 4

How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

This is a discussion on How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I buy what I want....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

I buy what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post
    I won't buy an inferior product simply because it's made in the U.S. but I definitely do my homework prior to purchasing and will buy American made if it meets my criteria. Keeping my money stateside is a win for myself and my countrymen.
    Why do you think keeping the money here is necessarily a "win"? I think whoever creates the value is deserving of the reward, regardless of where it's from. Good work should be rewarded independent from the government a person lives under or what language they speak. Any other perspective puts us in a position where we identify more strongly with our government and less strongly with our fellow human beings. Once we do that, we are owned.
    remington79 likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

SDG
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Why do you think keeping the money here is necessarily a "win"? I think whoever creates the value is deserving of the reward, regardless of where it's from. Good work should be rewarded independent from the government a person lives under or what language they speak. Any other perspective puts us in a position where we identify more strongly with our government and less strongly with our fellow human beings. Once we do that, we are owned.
    If equal or better value is created by a U.S. company then I buy U.S. If I spend my money locally, it is a much shorter (and more likely) route back to me. You make it sound like I'm rewarding inferior work simply because of the borders that work is contained in, which is not true. The same logic was applied when I bought my wife a used Honda Odyssey because it's a great car and no domestic auto builder can match the bang for my buck. I would have much rather bought a domestic but the same value just isn't there.

When I buy a good product from my neighbor, I'm identifying more strongly with said neighbor, not any government.
    OD* likes this.

Look at Toyota. They are more of an American car company now than the ones based in Detroit. Don't get me wrong I love my Chevy pickup but when it will be time for a new truck I'm going to take a look at Ford and Toyota. I'll be hard pressed to buy another GM product ever since the stockholders got screwed over and it started to get run and owned by the government and the unions. Ford didn't take the bailout.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

I like Glocks and ComBloc guns, but I buy them from American dealers...

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Good work should be rewarded independent from the government a person lives under or what language they speak. Any other perspective puts us in a position where we identify more strongly with our government and less strongly with our fellow human beings.
    Hold on now. America is a people, not a government. Buying American is identifying with my fellow Americans, not my government. Even so, our free market economy is best served by buying the product I need at the lowest price, regardless of the country that made it. When all else is equal, I'll buy American when I can.
    OD* likes this.

Simple I buy only American made firearms anymore. and not just made here but US companies also .
    Go to Germany and see if they let you have your weapon. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post
    If equal or better value is created by a U.S. company then I buy U.S. If I spend my money locally, it is a much shorter (and more likely) route back to me. You make it sound like I'm rewarding inferior work simply because of the borders that work is contained in, which is not true. The same logic was applied when I bought my wife a used Honda Odyssey because it's a great car and no domestic auto builder can match the bang for my buck. I would have much rather bought a domestic but the same value just isn't there.

When I buy a good product from my neighbor, I'm identifying more strongly with said neighbor, not any government.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm just suspect of the prevalent idea that we have more to fear from the citizens of other countries than we do any government.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    I'm an equal opportunity gun owner, having bought products foreign and domestic with equal enthusiasm.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Hold on now. America is a people, not a government. Buying American is identifying with my fellow Americans, not my government. Even so, our free market economy is best served by buying the product I need at the lowest price, regardless of the country that made it. When all else is equal, I'll buy American when I can.
    I agree with your point but it's our common government as much as anything that affords us the title. To the extent that we are all people, I see that it's most often our governments who gain from promoting the differences. I don't necessarily identify more closely with someone because they happen to be American.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I think about 60% of my guns happen to be American made. It does not factor into my purchases.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Simple I buy only American made firearms anymore. and not just made here but US companies also .
    Go to Germany and see if they let you have your weapon. Good luck.
    what does going to Germany have to do with owning a German firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    what does going to Germany have to do with owning a German firearm?
    They manufacture fire arms for sale to the public here , but they do not allow them there As far as I am concerned then they should not sell them here.
    To many out standing Weapons made here. At least for a little while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    They manufacture fire arms for sale to the public here , but they do not allow them there As far as I am concerned then they should not sell them here.
    To many out standing Weapons made here. At least for a little while longer.
    I don't agree with anything you just wrote but I applaud your zeal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links