How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

This is a discussion on How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just posting to another thread and made the observation that of all the handguns I've ever owned, only one has come from an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

I was just posting to another thread and made the observation that of all the handguns I've ever owned, only one has come from an "American" company, although more may have been assembled here. I don't take it into consideration when making my choices. However, it may be that I avoid guns and some makers with bad quality or durability reputations, and that seems to fall more heavily onto the American firms, which may or may not be backed up by the data.
    Would enjoy hearing your take on it.
    Last edited by JD; February 16th, 2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Moved to General Firearms.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

All of my guns are American made.

However, I could swear by the looks of it that my Kel Tec PF9 was made in a dimly lit Chinese garage.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Still looking for a "made in Japan" 9mm or 45...Made in Japan used to be a joke....now they make the finest products on the planet.....they should make guns
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    All of my guns are American made.

However, I could swear by the looks of it that my Kel Tec PF9 was made in a dimly lit Chinese garage.
    Is there a reason you only have American-made guns?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I buy quality over location of manufacture. I want it to go bang when I need it, regardless of where it comes from. I own several USA made firearms ( 2 rugers, a smith and wesson, a marlin, mossbergs) and several that are not ( glock, CVA, )
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Re: How does "Buy American" factor into your weapons preference?

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Still looking for a "made in Japan" 9mm or 45...Made in Japan used to be a joke....now they make the finest products on the planet.....they should make guns
    They've made Brownings and Howas for years.

In God and Glock we Trust

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The majority of my handguns/rifles are American made, others are imported by large well known American companies such as Springfield. If there is an equivalent American gun produced in America by Americans I will purchase it over a like foreign produced gun.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

They do. Winchester, Browning and Weatherby rifles are currently made in Japan. My S&W shotgun (c. 1982) was made in Japan. All are high quality guns, nicely finished.

But to the OP's question, "made in America" does not consciously enter my firearm purchasing decisions. I just looked at my list and other than my milsurp guns (Russian, Swiss and Yugoslavian), only three guns are of non-US manufacture, the aforementioned S&W shotgun, a Beretta shotgun, and a CZ-75. In general, I look for rugged, quality guns, regardless of where they're made. The Browning Hi-Power and a couple more CZs are on my wish list.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just for me and the rest can do what they please but from now on I will only purchase firearms from manufactures that have taken a stand for 2a in some fashion like Smith Ruger on their websites and Larue Olympic Magpul and York.
    The ones that dont I dont need.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

OD*
    Smitty, I think all the Weatherby rifles are made in Paso Robles, California now.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Three of the four firearms I own are US made. That's not by deliberate choice, just that three of the four I wanted to own happened to be US made.
    I'm more than happy to "Buy American," but I have no pangs of conscience when I don't.
    BigCityChief likes this.

OD*
    Miroku Corporation (Browning, Winchester, branded as Miroku in the european markets) and the Howa Machinery Company make some of the finest firearms you can buy.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

The main consideration in purchasing a firearm should be reliability, not geography. I own S&W, Ruger, SA, Beretta, Bersa, and Uberti firearms - all of them very reliable. By the way, some of my "American" guns, Ruger SR22 and S&W M&P .22 are designed and manufactured by Walther, a German company.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

I have many american made firearms as well as imported ones. All imports consist of Beretta, Benelli, and Sako's.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I buy whichever i think will most likely keep me an alive American... Oh, and it has to look cool.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links