First shots Walther PPQ 40 dissapointing

This is a discussion on First shots Walther PPQ 40 dissapointing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took my new Walther PPQ 40 out for the first time and was disappointed by many FTF's. The nose of the rounds would just stop ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: First shots Walther PPQ 40 dissapointing

First shots Walther PPQ 40 dissapointing

Took my new Walther PPQ 40 out for the first time and was disappointed by many FTF's. The nose of the rounds would just stop against the feed ramp. After a while I found if I hit the
    bottom of the mag with the palm of my hand that would be enough to jolt it and it would cycle in. I only put 100 rounds through it and would estimate that it failed to feed at least 8 times.
    Also there were many times when it would hesitate while cycling. Like it would hang up momentarily then finish. This was very annoying when attempting to double tap and seeing the slide hesitate
    I would have to hesitate myself before firing the next round. I was shooting some 12 to 14 year old ammo I had from the last time I had a 40. They were Speer Lawman 180 grain FMJ and Winchester
    155 grain silvertips. Had issues with both.

Other observations were that accuracy was very good. If I took my time hits were good if I went a little faster then I was hitting low and left a bit. I'm sure that was all me. I have never shot
    a striker type gun before and only 1911's for the last 12+ years. I think I would be ok with the trigger after more practice and if the gun cycled correctly all the time. It released well but the take up
    will take some getting used to. I was also surprised at how snappy the recoil was. Again after only shooting my 45's for so long I guess I was expecting softer than that. I can't be sure until I remedy the feeding issue and shoot it more but I would guess that I would be able to run 8 rounds much quicker and more accurately with my 1911's than with the PPQ. The PPQ is very comfortable in my hand and points naturally which is why I bought it. That and because I wanted to have something with a little more capacity in my inventory.

I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with this gun or have any thoughts as to what might be going on. Is it possible that I just need to run more through it to break it in? Could it be that it is just finicky on ammo, what have you found works best. Other than a used Kimber that only needed a new extractor to make good I have never had a problem with a gun I have purchased.
    I am questioning whether I made the right choice. Don't tell me I should have bought a Glock they just don't point well for me and they are ugly. Just my opinion no offense intended.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a PPQ in 9mm and it has been flawless.

Clean and lubricate the gun and try using some new ammo (if you can find it).
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My first guess is a magazine problem. From your description, the nose of the top bullet in the mag may be aimed at too shallow an angle toward the feed ramp, but a smack on the butt of the gun makes it jump into place. Do you have additional magazines you can use to see if the problem is isolated to just one mag?

Another possibility is that due to newness the slide may be binding up a bit and not running smoothly on its rails, which could inhibit full slide velocity and travel. While I'm sure you broke the gun down and cleaned it before you shot it, I would repeat that drill. Put the slide on the gun without the barrel or recoil spring, and check for binding or excessive friction over the full range of slide travel. If the slide runs smoothly, then I'd focus on the mags.
    Honk and NewtownSam like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I 1,000% agree with the above posts.....
    I feed mine Hornady, and maybe ran 150rds through it?
    Not a missfeed/jamb..nothing but good.

Of course, trigger is different, and if you're used to a normal trigger action,
    that MIGHT be contributing?
    My opinion....great gun!

VIP Member
    No problems with the 9MM version and Lawman ammo. Keep working it and I am sure it will work out.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Clean gun..work the slide ..change ammo and magazine...call me in the morning..lol. I have the same gun in 9mm and I always..clean and work the slide on a new gun before taking it for a ride. Good luck..don't give up on it yet..that is an awesome gun.

Distinguished Member
    Good advice so far. This is the first thread I've seen of a ppq, or any walther, not running flawlessly.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

You think the Glock is ugly so you got the PPQ which is the slightly better looking cousin of the Hi-Point?
    sebring and Taurahe like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    You think the Glock is ugly so you got the PPQ which is the slightly better looking cousin of the Hi-Point?
    ... note to self ... keep mouth shut ... no, I have to say it ... no, keep mouth shut ...
    Taurahe likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks for the feedback. I only have the 2 magazines that came with the gun both new from factory. It did seem that getting the loaded mags to seat was difficult and now I am wondering
    if maybe they weren't quite seating all the way. Is it possible to have them seat well enough to not fall out but not far enough in to allow for correct feeding? I should have spent more time working
    with it but I was in a hurry needed to get home.

When I said I thought the Glock was ugly I was not implying that the PPQ was gorgeous just not as ugly. I prefer the look of my Kimbers.

Try removing a round from the mag... when mag springs are new they can be a bit finicky sometimes.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Try removing a round from the mag... when mag springs are new they can be a bit finicky sometimes.
    You may be right about this. I found today when I try to seat a fully loaded 12 round mag with the slide forward it will not seat all the way.
    Apparently when I ran it yesterday I loaded with the slide back because I would have noticed that. There is no way I can seat the loaded mag
    all the way in with slide forward. I took one round out then no problem. This does not seem like the way it should be. If the gun comes with 12 round
    mags I would expect to be able to use them with 12 rounds.

While this is a problem it does not explain everything I had FTF's and hesitations with mag half empty.

I did clean the gun before first use and the slide seemed to function fine with gun empty. Today after cleaning again last night I cycled several rounds
    in from full mags starting with slide back and they went in fine. Of course this is not much of a test I need to get back out and run some rounds through
    it again. Unfortunately warmer weather today means I can not get back into the land that I shoot on too sloppy.

Try polishing the feed ramp,I use grease on the slide rails and run the slide by hand to in case it's a wittle too tight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I would not judge the performance of any semi-auto based on how it FTF with one brand of ammunition. Before you try anything else I would shop for a different brand of ammo that featured a different bullet nose configuration. Sometimes that is all that it takes.

Also remember that sometimes when it LOOKS like a bullet nose is getting hung up on the ramp the problem is in reality that the rear of the cartridge case is having trouble moving up into the extractor.
    When the rear of the case cannot move up the bullet nose is unable to chamber.

Many semi-autos leave the factory with an extractor that is on the tight side so you could have a problem that will correct itself if you just shoot it a bit more.

Also you might want to use a very low friction lube on your slide/frame rails. That will give you a bit more slide energy that will help get those stubborn rounds chambered.

Jardine's Extreme would be a great lube to use.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Try polishing the feed ramp,I use grease on the slide rails and run the slide by hand to in case it's a wittle too tight
    Are you saying to grease the rails and work it by hand to loosen it up or do you run the gun that way?
    I may polish the ramp just because it can't hurt but I shouldn't have to with a new gun.

Your Marion Barry quote cracks me up:)

Links