1911 problem...help?

This is a discussion on 1911 problem...help? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That's an awfully loose FPS fit. I can't believe it would slide out that easily on its own. +P ammo or not. Sir, if you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1911 problem...help?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

1911 problem...help?

That's an awfully loose FPS fit. I can't believe it would slide out that easily on its own. +P ammo or not.

Sir, if you carry this pistol, I would suggest fitting a new FPS or having a smith do it for you. If you ever have to fire two or more shots to save your life, you may be finished after the first one.

And please, buy a new spring and don't rely on a stretched spring to work. They are cheap.
    OD* likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    That's an awfully loose FPS fit. I can't believe it would slide out that easily on its own. +P ammo or not.

Sir, if you carry this pistol, I would suggest fitting a new FPS or having a smith do it for you. If you ever have to fire two or more shots to save your life, you may be finished after the first one.

And please, buy a new spring and don't rely on a stretched spring to work. They are cheap.
    Unfortunately, I've handled several Armscor's pistol that had poorly fitted FPS. Good news is, they'll repair them no question.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

So do I just send my weapon to citadel or what? I usually do my own minor repairs. Never had to send off to a smitty before

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    So do I just send my weapon to citadel or what? I usually do my own minor repairs. Never had to send off to a smitty before
    If you're good with a file, I'd just install an over-sized firing pin stop https://egwguns.com/wecs.php myself. It isn't hard, you just have to go slow, you can always remove more metal, but you can't easily replace it.
    Last edited by OD*; January 30th, 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Repair link
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    You say "smitty" like it's a bad thing...

Give Citadel a call, and see what they'll do for you. The best customer service orgs will send you a pre-paid mailer to get your gun back to them, so be sure to ask if it's not offered. Another option is to talk to the dealer who sold you the gun and see if he'll help you out with a repair or shipping back to Citadel.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hmm, is there a way I can just have citadel do it or is it a smitty repair? Or super glue

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Citadel should be able to fix it. It's just a matter of fitting a new FP stop and a new spring. A local smith can do the same thing. I hope you were joking about the super glue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links