1911 problem...help?

1911 problem...help?

This is a discussion on 1911 problem...help? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my citadel 1911 3.5" out and shot a couple different loads to test it's recoil and performance. I shot 230gr +p and 200gr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1911 problem...help?

1911 problem...help?

I took my citadel 1911 3.5" out and shot a couple different loads to test it's recoil and performance. I shot 230gr +p and 200gr +p TAP. The 200 worked just fine but the 230 caused the same malfunction three times in the same magazine. Symptoms included:
    Exposed firing pin
    Firing pin channel hatch dropped, preventing slide from moving back into battery...caught on the hammer

Please help me with this. Is this an ammo problem or is it time to get rid of this thing? If I don't have to sell it i don't want to. It's worked with hundreds of other types of +p loads and did just fine but this is one of my carry guns. Help?!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    Firing pin channel hatch dropped, preventing slide from moving back into battery...caught on the hammer
    You mean the firing pin stop? I dont see how the firing pin could go into the channel far enough for the stop to fall unless the spring was real weak or it was forced by hand during disassembly. Can you take a pic?

On second thought ....

If the firing pin broke, then its possible for the stop to fall. The firing pin holds the stop from falling.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Very good insight. I will upload a pic. And yes I meant the pin stop. I've encountered a lot of malfunctions in weapons but this blew my mind

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    This is what happened. I'm agreeing with the weak spring, but I don't know how I could correct this. The pistol is really new. What, do I just stretch the pin spring out?
    Also, the firing pin is fine. I've shot thousands of rounds through many other 1911s and no issues. Definitely a headscratcher

This may sound dumb, but, make sure the gun is unloaded. Sorry if this sounds stupid but I cant tell from my house.

The top pic I can see the firing pin. You will need a small pick and push the firing pin into the channel so the stop will go back into the upper part of the slide. You may need to hold the hammer back to clear. *Caution* The slide will want to return to battery rather quickly. You may need three hands for this. Once the stop is fully into its groove, release the firing pin with the pick slowly and it should re-seat holding the pin stop in place. Then field strip the gun and detail strip the slide to find what may be the problem.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Possibly the firing pin spring broke. Without the spring acting to push the firing pin aft, the FP stop is free to drop and tie up the gun.

Should be easy enough to diagnose and fix yourself. Detail strip the slide and see what's going on. The Brownell's catalog will be your friend if parts are broken. I looked at the Citadel manual on line it and it looks like the standard 1911 design, no Series 80 or other firing pin safety widgets to deal with.

If you shoot a fair amount of +P ammo, you probably want to be changing your recoil spring every 1000 rounds or so... the compact 1911s beat up the springs at a faster rate than the full-size models. If your spring weakens, the slide will start to beat up the frame more than it should and your slide stop will bear the brunt of it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just so all you know, I always unload my weapons that aren't being carried and I put the weapon in the state I had it at the range in order to take the pics. I just locked the slide back and used my thumb to push the stop back up

Thank you sir, I checked the spring and stretched it a little and it's working fine...did a pen test (stick a pen down the barrel, and pull the trigger to check if the firing pin works) and it seems to work but I am kinda intimidated to carry this weapon since I have to have a flawless weapon. Now I have the glock

Get a set of Wolff springs,I got the X-strong firing pin spring for one of my guns
    OD* likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Definitely time for new springs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    It is not uncommon for a firing pin stop to drop due to a weak spring.

Follow dukalmighty's advice.
    Last edited by OD*; February 17th, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Spellun'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Darn. Already? Ugh, I just got this thing...oh well, such is life. Thanks a lot guys

You're welcome.

Just an FYI ... the firing pin channel should not be lubricated. Degreased yes, but kept dry. I dont know if this pertains to you or not but if the FP or the stop is lubricated, this may cause that stop to fall. Or ... it could be from a steady diet of +P ammo. I would order a new FP spring anyway. Glad you are back in business.

Thank you much Rcher. I did a little bit of froglube on the pin and spring, but it wipes dry, so I don't know what happened. Froglube wipes dry and protects. I talked to froglube and they said it shouldn't hurt anything as long as I don't leave any left in the channel or on the spring or pin

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    Thank you much Rcher. I did a little bit of froglube on the pin and spring, but it wipes dry, so I don't know what happened. Froglube wipes dry and protects. I talked to froglube and they said it shouldn't hurt anything as long as I don't leave any left in the channel or on the spring or pin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links