Over penetration and home defense.

This is a discussion on Over penetration and home defense. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reading another thread made me wonder about this: A simple scenario for discussion. You are awakened in the middle of the night by your wife, ...

Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: Over penetration and home defense.

  1. #1
    Member Array latentcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    413

    Over penetration and home defense.

    Reading another thread made me wonder about this:

    A simple scenario for discussion.

    You are awakened in the middle of the night by your wife, " Honey, did you hear that noise???" You jump, half asleep, grab your weapon and go to investigate while your wife sits on the bed with her weapon in her hand, " Honey, you stay here and call 911 if I yell." So downstairs you go and while checking out the broken window, your wife starts screaming and you hear a shot: you run back upstairs and into the bedroom to find your wife in the far corner with a baseball wielding intruder in between you and her. Upon hearing your entrance and warning to freeze the intruder turns to attack.

    Do either of you fire ??? Do you chance a miss or a thru and thru and hit your wife? Would you expect her to fire under same circumstances?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array RonM0710's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring City, TN
    Posts
    125
    To start with, knowing this could happen, you should train your wife to pick a different corner to get in to prevent a cross fire situation. Having not done that, is she standing? If so, yell for her to drop before you shoot. If she is kneeling, you could kneel yourself and then you would be shooting up at the intruder and so could she without endangering either one if you both aim high on your target. It would be best if you allow the person that the intruder is facing were to fire the shot, to identify the intruder and insure there is a real need to shoot. (What if it is her drunk father mad about something. Do you want to shoot him when she has not seen a need to yet?)

    What state do you live in? Some expect you to retreat even in your own home. Know your local laws.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

    Ron

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Taurahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    3,271
    Honestly it is a tough one. In my mind, If the attack was now focused on me, I would withdraw from the room to mitigate risk to my significant other. Once she is safe and clear, the chips will fall where they may. In a SHTF situation, im not sure that's how it would go down, thats why I practice. If that doesn't happen I would rather go hand to hand with an intruder with a bat than risk shooting my wife, and a contact shot is as good as any other if that's what it takes. If the weapon were a gun or a knife, that may end up a different story though. Drop to a knee and shoot up.... move laterally and shoot..... tough decisions
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

    Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

  5. #4
    Member Array latentcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Honestly it is a tough one. In my mind, If the attack was now focused on me, I would withdraw from the room to mitigate risk to my significant other. Once she is safe and clear, the chips will fall where they may. In a SHTF situation, im not sure that's how it would go down, thats why I practice. If that doesn't happen I would rather go hand to hand with an intruder with a bat than risk shooting my wife, and a contact shot is as good as any other if that's what it takes. If the weapon were a gun or a knife, that may end up a different story though. Drop to a knee and shoot up.... move laterally and shoot..... tough decisions
    Yeah, thats what we talked about.

  6. #5
    Member Array MrsHB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    You jump, half asleep, grab your weapon and go to investigate while your wife sits on the bed with her weapon in her hand, " Honey, you stay here and call 911 if I yell." So downstairs you go and while checking out the broken window, your wife starts screaming and you hear a shot: you run back upstairs and into the bedroom to find your wife in the far corner with a baseball wielding intruder in between you and her. Upon hearing your entrance and warning to freeze the intruder turns to attack.

    Do either of you fire ??? Do you chance a miss or a thru and thru and hit your wife? Would you expect her to fire under same circumstances?
    I assume you meant 'baseball bat', right? If this were my house, I'd have fired the moment the strange man entered my bedroom with a bat, and I would not stop firing until the man was no longer a threat (or until I ran out of ammo).

    I would NOT shoot "once" and then cower in a corner, looking at BG standing there with a bat while I kept HOLDING MY WEAPON (which in my case would be a short barrel shotgun, or possibly a handgun). At room distance, I'm confident I'd hit him, and probably several times, so that he'd no longer be standing there with his baseball bat when my husband came barreling back into the room.

    To your point about cross fire: my husband and I do a lot of fast paced small game hunting with dogs, where you are constantly and instinctively moving and holding fire to avoid unintended targets (co-hunters and dogs) while shooting. So, I like to think that he'd instinctively move to the side to avoid getting me in his line of fire... but realistically, in a SHTF scenario, you don't really know what you will do until you are actually in it. And, a lot depends on the entire context (layout of room, weapons used, closeness of neighbors, etc).

    That being said, I still feel very confident that I would not shoot "only once" in the scenario described.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MT
    Posts
    1,012
    What if's what if's... there is way to many variables left out to give an answer...
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,853
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    What if's what if's... there is way to many variables left out to give an answer...
    There are so many "why did you do or not do this or that's" also.
    shadowwalker likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •