Pop and no kick with reloads today - Page 2

Pop and no kick with reloads today

This is a discussion on Pop and no kick with reloads today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TX expat Personally I'd be tempted to get the pistol checked out by Glock or someone else that can really verify that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pop and no kick with reloads today

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Personally I'd be tempted to get the pistol checked out by Glock or someone else that can really verify that you have no stress fractures that you just can't see. A squib can cause major damage and lead to a seriously dangerous condition (if it doesn't blow everything apart on the follow up round). I don't think that it would be safe to just assume that everything is fine simply because it looks OK to the naked eye.

Also, yes, avoid reloads unless you are the one doing them.
    +1 to this I use only my reloads and I dont reload for anyone but myself just for this reason. Stay safe.

Are these reloads non-jacketed projectiles, lead only? Some of the Glock guys will know more about this than I do but it seems to me one is not supposed to shoot non-jacketed bullets. It has to do with how Glock rifles the barrels. I could be way off base but my thinking says that sounds familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenshizzle View Post
    I guess the right thing to do is to put in a call to Glock to see if they can inspect the bore of my barrel? Is this something that gunsmiths can do?
    You can probably do this as well yourself. Run a tight patch down the bore, and if you feel a reduced resistance somewhere along the path, you've bulged the barrel.

You can do a visual check as well. Direct a bright light at a white card and look down the bore. If you see a dark ring, yes, it *has* happened. See the attached photo for an example.

In my case, it's a .45 which is a low-pressure round so I had no idea it had happened; no stoppage, no big boom. I discovered it while cleaning the gun. My own reloads were to blame... all it takes is one.
    Attached Images
    TX expat and DMan like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Are these reloads non-jacketed projectiles, lead only? Some of the Glock guys will know more about this than I do but it seems to me one is not supposed to shoot non-jacketed bullets. It has to do with how Glock rifles the barrels. I could be way off base but my thinking says that sounds familiar!
    Glock uses polygonal rifling, Non-jacketed bullets (lead only) are reported to cause excess lead buildup, especially when they are not cleaned with a good lead removing solvent/cleaner on a regular basis. The excessive buildup (more with softer leads) can cause increased pressures, causing what is commonly called a KaBoom.
    TX expat likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Glock uses polygonal rifling, Non-jacketed bullets (lead only) are reported to cause excess lead buildup, especially when they are not cleaned with a good lead removing solvent/cleaner on a regular basis. The excessive buildup (more with softer leads) can cause increased pressures, causing what is commonly called a KaBoom.

That is the guidance from Glock and should be heeded "for best results." However, with modest attention to your lead-bullet reloads (i.e., powder and charge combination which won't excessively heat the base of the bullet, which contributes to leading) it really isn't a concern. My parsimonious friend I do the weekly steel matches with shot exclusively lead reloads for nearly 3 years in his G35 before swapping over to a Lone Wolf barrel. Only light traces of leading were found in his OEM barrel and which were easily removed.

The point is simply that shooting lead in a barrel with polygonal rifling isn't a death sentence or a KB waiting to happen.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    If you're that concerned about your barrel, find someone who can slug the barrel for you. If the slug maintains a constant pressure as it's being pushed through the barrel you're okay. If the slug hits a "loose" spot, then you have a problem with the barrel. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That is the guidance from Glock and should be heeded "for best results." However, with modest attention to your lead-bullet reloads (i.e., powder and charge combination which won't excessively heat the base of the bullet, which contributes to leading) it really isn't a concern. My parsimonious friend I do the weekly steel matches with shot exclusively lead reloads for nearly 3 years in his G35 before swapping over to a Lone Wolf barrel. Only light traces of leading were found in his OEM barrel and which were easily removed.

The point is simply that shooting lead in a barrel with polygonal rifling isn't a death sentence or a KB waiting to happen.
    Totally agree - which is why I specifically used the words "are reported. " With proper care, I personally don't believe lead is a major issue. I have shot many lead rounds through my G19, and never an issue. But then again I clean religiously, and don't use hot loads. However, I would not recommend not cleaning the barrels especially if you are shooting straight lead.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You can probably do this as well yourself. Run a tight patch down the bore, and if you feel a reduced resistance somewhere along the path, you've bulged the barrel.

You can do a visual check as well. Direct a bright light at a white card and look down the bore. If you see a dark ring, yes, it *has* happened. See the attached photo for an example.

In my case, it's a .45 which is a low-pressure round so I had no idea it had happened; no stoppage, no big boom. I discovered it while cleaning the gun. My own reloads were to blame... all it takes is one.
    So I did what you suggested - I don't see any signs of a dark ring. I've also cleaned the barrel and did not feel any time of inconsistency or resistance. Slowly moving a flashlight about the circumfrance of the bore did not reveal any obvious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    They were lead non-jacketed. I didn't realize that he would be giving me lead rounds, so I figured I'd at least go through this 100 and see how they fired. After cleaning the bore, I did find that it was pretty dirty. Went through a fair number of cleaning pads...

I'm thinking I'll just shoot a fair number of rounds through the barrel. Do KBs typically cause severe bodily damage?

I am quite honestly astonished at the number of people suggesting that OP misrepresent the truth to Glock. He shot relads, and what's more, reloads that he did not personally make up. Telling Glock anything less is stealing. And it's not like they haven't seen it hundreds of times anyway.

OP glad you are OK.

Price of a new barrel is cheap compared to a glass eye.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm thinking I'll just shoot a fair number of rounds through the barrel. Do KBs typically cause severe bodily damage?
    A KaBoom is exactly that. I've seen small bulges in a barrel and I've also seen slides fly off from over pressure. I personally would not want to be on the wrong end of a KB. I think you have heard many good pieces of advice here and need to be the one to make the final decision. Good luck.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Re: Pop and no kick with reloads today

So I did what you suggested - I don't see any signs of a dark ring. I've also cleaned the barrel and did not feel any time of inconsistency or resistance. Slowly moving a flashlight about the circumfrance of the bore did not reveal any obvious issues.

They were lead non-jacketed. I didn't realize that he would be giving me lead rounds, so I figured I'd at least go through this 100 and see how they fired. After cleaning the bore, I did find that it was pretty dirty. Went through a fair number of cleaning pads...

I personally wouldn't even consider taking the chance, but that's just me. I'd get it inspected by somebody far more knowledgeable than myself and proceed from there.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I reload,I sell my reloads to friends that trust my reloads,I always tell them anytime you fire a round that doesn't have any recoil or you hear a pop,clear the gun lock the slide open and visually inspect the barrel to make sure its not obstructed.
    Tell your buddy he has no idea what he's doing as far as reloading and he's gonna hurt somebody probably with a double charged round or the wrong powder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Squib loads are one of my biggest concerns when shooting. I've had 1 in my life, and I stopped, cleared the gun, inspected the barrel and it had made it out of the barrel with no signs of any stoppage or damage. I retired that weapon for the rest of the range session and shot something else. Thoroughly cleaned and inspected it when I got home and it was fine.

Anytime I introduce new shooters I always tell them if they fire the weapon and it doesn't sound or feel like the other shots, stop, do not fire again. Squibs are rare occurrences, but they can be devastating.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The only squib I've had was one with NO powder,, The primer was ony thing went bang. I cleared weapon , striped & knocked bullet out..

Anyone that shoots reloads should be aware of any wierd sound of gunfire,,not always easy if you shoot public ranges as I'm lucky and shoot private ; ) PS You are lucky no one was hurt including youself.. Tell you freind to Read a few manuals : JMO

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links