Pop and no kick with reloads today - Page 3

Pop and no kick with reloads today

This is a discussion on Pop and no kick with reloads today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 90% OF TIMES... a lodged bullet( bore obstruction) is no problem . Tapping the bullet out with a rod and dowel etc. As long as ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pop and no kick with reloads today

90% OF TIMES... a lodged bullet( bore obstruction) is no problem . Tapping the bullet out with a rod and dowel etc. As long as the clearing rod is softer than steel.( a hard -wood is preferred. A quick , spontaneous follow-up, second - shot , after a "squib" is damaging. A bulged and or a ringed barrel will most likely make your barrel.... close to junk. This bulging & or ring, near the chamber area of the barrel is what you should be looking for. Older guns had a Bbl. that would most likely crack, split, or simply blow up with higher pressure rounds, used as ammo. Sounds like you are lucky, But don't bet money on it.... that your barrel is as good as factory new.

Do you really want this in your hand? Get it checked out! Never shoot anyone's reloads! Your lucky to have both your hands. Be thankful!

http://i44.tinypic.com/n32qrk.jpg

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    OP, Now you know why Glock (and Sig, S&W, and most other gun makers) say to use on commercially maunfactured ammo, but commercial ammo gets recalled for defects also (a lot lately). Things go bad in the basement just a fast as in the plant. Reloads are perfectly safe and just as reliable as commercial ammo when done correctly. Nearly everything I shoot in all my various make guns, including Glock, are lead reloads, with no issues whatsoever.

You ducked a bullet with using your pal's reloads. I would not fire that pistol again until it had been inspected by a competant GS who was fully aware of what happened so that he can pay particular areas that may be affected.

Kabooms are not always dangerous to the shooter, but you don't want to have the one that is. It does most often wreck the gun. Leading is easily visible to teh eye, and is easily removed with the right stuff. Typical Hoppes and patches may not remove it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm going to try to find a gunsmith to inspect my barrel. If I cannot get that accomplished, I'm going to buy a new barrel.
    TX expat, Rcher and icemanls2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenshizzle View Post
    I'm going to try to find a gunsmith to inspect my barrel. If I cannot get that accomplished, I'm going to buy a new barrel.
    Excellent decision.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I suggested to my local range operator that he keep a can of oil handy for when anyone finds an unfired round on the range. We now just chuck in the live rounds and let the oil kill the primers. I used to be tempted to pick up, and fire, unfired rounds I found on the ground or benches, but fortunately I have been sane enough not to try it as of yet. I have seen a couple of KABOOMS on Cowboy action venues and I don't care to experience any myself.

I reload all my own range rounds and I would not consider using someone elses reloads. To me that is just as bad as picking someone's round off the ground and shooting it. I have had friends ask me for my reloads, and I always decline, unless they want to put them in my guns, at the range, and shoot them while I am nearby. I know my reloads are safe in my guns, but I don't know the condition of someone elses firearm.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenshizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Excellent decision.

Agreed, this is a very good decision. Taking a chance on this barrel is not worth life or limb.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links