Why can't I just make one?

This is a discussion on Why can't I just make one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm cleaning my EDC tonight, and something catches my fancy. I put my magazine back in (With the slide off), and observe how basic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why can't I just make one?

Why can't I just make one?

So I'm cleaning my EDC tonight, and something catches my fancy. I put my magazine back in (With the slide off), and observe how basic a magazine really is.

Then I wonder, "Why can't I just make one?" I mean, as long as it's built with similar specs, and I'm careful putting the slide in for the first time, what is the danger of trying to make and use one? (XD40sc).

Anyone have experience with this, or with modding mags? I have a 9 round mag that I can use as a guinea pig for modding if I decide to go that route. So has anyone else had any luck?

2. Remove Ads

And why would you bother when you can buy them for a couple of bucks? Do you want to risk your life for $20?

I suppose if you had the skills and equipment to fabricate a magazine, you could. Metal AR-15 mags seem like one of the simpler things to make if you buy the spring and follower separately.

Why would I bother? Because I can. Seriously, that's about the extent of it. And actually, it's $40.00. But unless you somehow missed it, you do notice that I asked, "What is the danger of trying to make and use one."

Administrator
    No danger really if you have sheet metal fabrication experience. You would probably need to mill/machine out a steel form in order to form the magazine body and another one to hammer forge the feed lips to their proper configuration. That is a lot of preliminary jig making effort but, it would be an interesting project.

I've got magazines that were "supposedly" made for a certain gun,but when inserting into the magwell were a few thousands out of spec and wouldn't go in all the way,I guess if you got the equipment and time,but I'm prestty sure they have stamping machines that stamp and fold the metal,then wither spot weld or tig weld the seam,you would then need to fab a follower/baseplate retainer/baseplate/and spring.
    But if you get a wild hair make some for a M&P 22 I can't find a spare mag anywhere.

The last time I did any serious fabricating, it had to do with where I was instead of where I was spose to be
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    But unless you somehow missed it, you do notice that I asked, "What is the danger of trying to make and use one."
    Failure.

On a defensive weapon, I'd think long and hard about doing anything that might jeopardize a reliable, functional, fairly low-cost tool. But that's just me.

If a person's capable of creating something that competes on a functional/reliability basis, though, there shouldn't be any reason to not try. Assuming the testing/trials phase is sufficiently rigorous prior to putting into carry rotation.
    phreddy and RonCo like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    And why would you bother when you can buy them for a couple of bucks? Do you want to risk your life for $20?
    Maybe it would only be used on range trips instead of concealed carry? And maybe it would be something like 30 rounds?
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member
    My guess would be it's not nearly worth the time or effort, and then on top of that it probably won't work anywhere near consistently.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

GH
    It would seem to me that you'd have a very expensive magazine if you fabricated it from scratch unless you made a prototype & were planning on building hundreds of them after exhaustive testing on the first one. For range fire it might be nice to have a very high-cap mag so you wouldn't spend valuable range time on reloading.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If you have the know how and equipment, I'd absolutely give it a shot. No pun intended...

If nothing else, it's a fun experiment to pass a few weekends, but honestly with all this talk of banning standard cap mags, I really like the idea that home hobbyists can make their own damn mags and give a big fat middle finger to Uncle Sam.

Feed lip geometry and proper heat-treating are two of the main components to a working magazine.

You can bet people will be making Mag before long. I know of many people with the skills to do it.

I read an article recently about someone making an AR/M4 mag on a 3-D printer that worked pretty well.

Don't see any reason not to make one. If you have the skills, go for it. I wouldn't use it for carry unless your certain it's 100%. If the factory's made such great mag's, Wilson, Bear, and the like wouldn't sell so many mag's would they? Give it a try. Maybe you'll stumble onto a trick that fills a niche. Good luck.
    foxytwo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links