Chicago Police Chief: 2A a 'Danger to Public Safety'

This is a discussion on Chicago Police Chief: 2A a 'Danger to Public Safety' within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by suntzu I wrote this in the other thread running: They guy is a dork, that is for sure. But does anyone actually ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Chicago Police Chief: 2A a 'Danger to Public Safety'

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I wrote this in the other thread running:

They guy is a dork, that is for sure. But does anyone actually have a link to the transcript of the interview? I choose not to comment on things unless I know what I am talking about. Too many times we have found out that what an anti said is not exactly what he said. Hyperbole and innuendo, even if well placed, annoy me.
    As you, I don't doubt he is capable of saying something like that, but I can not find the name of the radio show, or
    a quotation; just a report saying he said, with no attribution and no means to verify it.

I just googled his name using Google News for the past week. It only returns stories which contain no specifics.
    no name of the show; no date of interview; no location; and no exact quote.

Yesterday we had someone attribute something to Thomas Jefferson and one of our other participants posted a
    link that demonstrated old Tom never said any such thing.

Skepticism is needed.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I wrote this in the other thread running:

They guy is a dork, that is for sure. But does anyone actually have a link to the transcript of the interview? I choose not to comment on things unless I know what I am talking about. Too many times we have found out that what an anti said is not exactly what he said. Hyperbole and innuendo, even if well placed, annoy me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As you, I don't doubt he is capable of saying something like that, but I can not find the name of the radio show, or
    a quotation; just a report saying he said, with no attribution and no means to verify it.

I just googled his name using Google News for the past week. It only returns stories which contain no specifics.
    no name of the show; no date of interview; no location; and no exact quote.

Yesterday we had someone attribute something to Thomas Jefferson and one of our other participants posted a
    link that demonstrated old Tom never said any such thing.

Skepticism is needed.
    Yes and yes. This sounds on the surface too much like a large softball tossed up for the NRA and 2A supporters to knock out of the park. That's what makes me suspicious that it's not specifically what was said.

Is it what many who want to limit the Bill of Rights mean? Absolutely. I'm just a little surprised and skeptical that a politician in Chicago would be stupid enough to say it.
    Hopyard likes this.

The village let their idiot gave a microphone.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The name of the radio show is apparently "Connected to Chicago" and it airs on 89 WLS on Sunday mornings. I have not heard the audio but the reporters name who did the story is Bill Cameron. Mr. Cameron is also the host the of the show. The pod cast is not yet available and I have not yet been able to find the audio of the interview. I will with hold judgement until I hear it, but knowing Chief McCarthy's record and from what I have been able to find on this particular matter, it appears that McCarthy did in fact say what he is accused of.

89 WLS - Connected to Chicago with Bill Cameron

Also, I would not be surprised or skeptical of anything that comes out of a Chicago Politician's mouth.

The Second Amendment is a Danger to Politicians that want total control of your mind and your soul so they can run over you with their leftist agenda.

.....my Glocks says: Not happening.
    .....my Remington 870 says: I concur
    .....my Sub 2000 says: Amen
    .....Florida Sheriffs say: Chicago?....what do they know about guns? Come on down to Sunny Florida, but be nice while you're here. Guns? We all got 'em
    and we don't take crap off anyone from North of the Mason Dixon line. Y'all come back now.
    OldVet likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Obama will be calling on all his boot lickers to do his bidding.C'mon, it's Chicago,he owns it and everyone in a political position.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I'm just a little surprised and skeptical that a politician in Chicago would be stupid enough to say it.
    Chicago has a long and lurid history of corrupt, sold out officials. Nothing has changed. Unfortunately some of them have apparently moved to places like New York, Colorado, California etc.

The crack is getting to McCarthy. He needs to stay out of the evidence locker.

Maybe somebody better hold him to his oath of office........Oath of Office
    I (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution and laws of the State of Arizona, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and defend them against enemies, foreign and domestic, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge, the duties of a peace officer, to the best of my ability, so help me God.
    I Love Guns!!!

Here are the exerpts from the show. These are in qoutes indicating what he actually said. The linked article in the OP says that McCarthy "expressed" this or that, not direct qoutes:
    Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy is on the attack against gun rights groups who oppose new gun control, and he launched the attack here at WLS.

Taping Connected to Chicago for Sunday morning at 7, Superintendent McCarthy came up with a novel new way to try to accuse gun rights groups of corruption.

"If there was special interests affecting police work, I believe that would be called corruption. So, if it has do with donating money versus a popular vote, I think we have a bigger problem in this country and somebody's gotta wake up to that," said McCarthy.

In response to the question, are gun rights groups somehow corrupting public safety, McCarthy had this to say, "Well, how is it that they're controlling politicians. How are they controlling elected officials? It's not by popular vote."

Gun rights groups deny they're corrupt. They argue they're simply petitioning government to protect the 2nd Amendment.
    89 WLS - Top Cop is on the attack against gun rights groups
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    Chicago has a long and lurid history of corrupt, sold out officials. Nothing has changed. Unfortunately some of them have apparently moved to places like New York, Colorado, California etc.
    Of course it does. That's not what I'm talking about. Those same officials that get driven through the Chicago democrat machine are usually very politically astute and smooth operatives. Very seldom do you find verbal mistakes from them.

That was my point.

A full lobotomy would raise his IQ.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    sounds more like to me chicago and its way of dealing with
    crime is failing

VIP Member
    What can you expect from a political appointee?

So the 2A only applies to smooth bore guns? Does he intend to turn in his departments guns, since there were no police departments when the 2A was penned? Does he also feel the 1A only applies to the written word, or at best hand set printing presses? Chicago, like NYC and most of Southern CA are lost causes. Pull the plug and let them rot in their own corruption.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

All I can say is...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links