Where is the NRA ???

This is a discussion on Where is the NRA ??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ppkheat ^^^^^^^ Very good post, that's what I'm talking about ! I presume everyone who has posted on this thread has been ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Where is the NRA ???

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Very good post, that's what I'm talking about !

I presume everyone who has posted on this thread has been calling and emailing their Legislators on a regular basis?

We members strengthen what the NRA can do if we actively share in the responsibility of this ourselves.......you just can't pay your NRA dues and sit back and watch (not saying that anyone here is doing that, just sayin').
    Yep all the time
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The NRA got a black eye over the Obama kids in an armed school commercial so may be lying low and working on the next step. Why anyone objected to a very valid point with the Obama kids is beyond me.
    I Think you are right on Sir

Where is the NRA ???

It is interesting that people who are "afraid" of guns do not understand the issues of why citizens want to own guns. These folks speak of the NRA as though the NRA was a political party. I was in NY last week and spoke to three ladies who did not even know what the Sullivan Act is. Actually, it was created by Mobsters to prevent their victims from defending themselves. The BG did not want to get shot so the corrupt NY city council enacted it. Sometimes elitist people are clueless. My husband explained it as did I.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DVido View Post
    Most politicians have nothing to gain for supporting this buffoonery. Remember the map of the US counties that was 90% red? The so called "Blue Dogs" such as Pryor in my state (who has declined to respond to my emails and letters other than the canned "I will support the 2nd Amendment that I know Arkansans hold dear". He knows what happened to Lincoln in the Obamacare fallout) won't dare put their careers on the line.
    72 of 88 counties in Ohio went red during the last presidential election, and Obama still got all the electoral votes. The city-states pretty much call the shots nationwide now.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    72 of 88 counties in Ohio went red during the last presidential election, and Obama still got all the electoral votes. The city-states pretty much call the shots nationwide now.
    And Ohio was riddled with voter fraud. A poll worker in Cleveland has shamelessly admitted to voting for Obama 6 times.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=JudyGun;2617105 Sometimes elitist people are clueless. .[/QUOTE]

BINGO
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    They have gotten alot of push back from the ads (2 I believe) they have produced. Most of their work is spent lobbying congress and not in overall public relations.
    Unfortunately the NRA needs to spend money on public relations. The main stream media outlets are, virtually daily, bombarding anti gun propaganda to the public with no rebuttal from the NRA or any other 2nd amendment advocate organizations. Maybe they need to hire better marketing people to come up with better ads. Our ship is sinking!!!!!!!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Unfortunately the NRA needs to spend money on public relations. The main stream media outlets are, virtually daily, bombarding anti gun propaganda to the public with no rebuttal from the NRA or any other 2nd amendment advocate organizations. Maybe they need to hire better marketing people to come up with better ads. Our ship is sinking!!!!!!!!!!
    The "main stream media outlets" don't pay for their airtime. The NRA absolutely cannot realistically afford to do battle with the leftwing media in that arena. They've got money, but not that kind of money. Not to mention that as long as the media speaks to the mindless minions, it matters not who, or what, rebuts them; it'll be spun to their agenda anyway. Just look at the dreaded "Obama Daughters" commercial. They point out the hypocrisy of the Obama administration and what does every news outlet do? They run all the stories on how President's children are "off limits" and the NRA is trying to harm children...

The NRA is fighting the battle where it can; which is first off in Congress where these laws will be made and voted on. Popular opinion matters 6 moths before an election (at the most); past that, it's all about the votes of the legislators.

The NRA can't do everything. It's our job to change perceptions and to create a positive effect for our rights. If you want to hold the NRA responsible for all this then I suggest you give them a heck of a lot more money than you have in the past because that $35 a year isn't going to be anywhere near enough for them to fight every battle on every front. (and for the record, I'm not speaking directly to the OP when I say you, I mean every individual person that seems to hold to the idea that the NRA should be out there solving all of our problems).
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

If every member of our families who are pro NRA would join to support them, can you imagine how much more the NRA could accomplish as an organization!!

Interesting results, since February. Given the S.649 liberty-hating gun-grabbers' attempts that went down in flames, all the arguments that the NRA's lobby efforts must have held some water, at least. Add to that, GOA and SAF have been fairly active this year as well. With an election year coming up, I'm betting that many of the mid-term congress weenies are going to be looking to their job survival, partly based on going down in flames on the S.649 issue earlier in the year. In large part thanks to the NRA, GOA, SAF efforts in addition to citizens everywhere who helped to expose the grabbers' agenda for what it was/is.

The NRA does a few things wrong, seemingly pointlessly. But, no doubt about it, they remain one of the more effective voices for helping to balance out the lefty-leaning liberty hatred that so many in congress seem to have no lack of.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That IMO is like giving a life perserver to someone that can't swim. It is a fix that keeps their head above the water. For long term success you need to improve public relations and sway public opinion....which they are not.

See response above. That only works as long as they fear not being elected becuasu of 2A issues. Sadly, most folks do not vote soley on how much a politician supports the 2A. That tactic is not going to work for much longer (2-4 more election cycles).

I am supporting the NRA but they need to change wiht the times.
    I like ANGLICOs idea but this is a good point. Glock USA did pretty much exactly what ANGLICO said (to get LEO contracts) in their early days and it worked. On the other hand, today most manufaturers are catching up if not surpassing them.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

I really think the NRA should focus on more PR. I dont know if their (all of 2 commercials) had TV prime time spots or just online but they NEED prime time. Dont tell mee the anti gun media cant be bought because as I recall, RECOILs publishing company is anti. That said we dont need video footage of people shooting IDPA or anything fancy. We need that woman who hid in a crawl space with her kids and shot a man 5 times to tell her story. We need that young mother who shot and killed a man, while on the phone with 9-1-1, just after she buried her husband. WE NEED REAL PEOPLE TELLING THEIR STORIES TO THE COUNTRY. No guns in the footage, just them sitting and talking interview style without an NRA logo visible. We need more American citizens to know that they could be next and NOT hear it from a paid spokesman narrating IDPA footage with fun music.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I will continue to support the NRA. As much as i hate politics,i do keep up with who is pro 2a so far as my elected officials.Back when they were trying to pass the gun laws,i emailed and called them.I keep up with who voted for what gun laws.

I have 3 emails i got back from two Senators and a Rep.No one i've emailed voted for the senseless laws and the emails told me,they were against the ones the govt wanted to pass.After seeing how they voted and reading their emails,i have no reason to bother them,for now but i still pay attention.I will pay more attention,when election time comes around.

The only thing i wish my state would do is let us carry in a place that serves alcohol.

It's like someone said in a post,it's not just the NRA that needs to keep up with what's going on.It's us also.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
    I really think the NRA should focus on more PR.

We need that woman who hid in a crawl space with her kids and shot a man 5 times to tell her story. We need that young mother who shot and killed a man, while on the phone with 9-1-1, just after she buried her husband. WE NEED REAL PEOPLE TELLING THEIR STORIES TO THE COUNTRY.
    Agreed. Sort of a The Ayoob Files made real, showing people what can and does happen every day, making the point that it can absolutely happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone.

But in addition to the lobbying of the vampires in Congress, and in addition to the legal wrangling that goes on at the state, district/appeals and SCOTUS levels, that'd take a bit more cash. Perhaps with another 10-20M members, there would be the cash to do such a thing. Or, perhaps a wealthy "angel" or two could step up to the bar to underwrite such a program. Sort of a more-poignant and purposeful "Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," but related to citizen defensive preparations and carry.

Anything, to help the average Joe to see the other side, that being prepared and capable of withstanding predation isn't magic and doesn't happen on a whim. It happens when we're armed, trained and circumspect with respect to situations that can easily get us killed. Without the average Joe seeing this, I agree that it'll be a losing cause in the long run, as more people swallow the pap they're being spoon fed by the liberty haters.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    I will continue to support the NRA. As much as i hate politics,i do keep up with who is pro 2a so far as my elected officials.Back when they were trying to pass the gun laws,i emailed and called them.I keep up with who voted for what gun laws.

I have 3 emails i got back from two Senators and a Rep.No one i've emailed voted for the senseless laws and the emails told me,they were against the ones the govt wanted to pass.After seeing how they voted and reading their emails,i have no reason to bother them,for now but i still pay attention.I will pay more attention,when election time comes around.

The only thing i wish my state would do is let us carry in a place that serves alcohol.

It's like someone said in a post,it's not just the NRA that needs to keep up with what's going on.It's us also.
    Our state has a ban on bringing a gun to a bar which, at face value makes sense until one thinks of the number of offenders who do not much care about the law and carry something in anyway. The idea of disallowing carry into a restaurant is simply idiocy. In my city, many of our best places happen to also be in areas with higher than normal criminal activity. Commanders Palace comes to mind. The facility isn't going to move. The crime is still there. Most of us who do carry are smart enough to not drink alcohol while carrying, one of those things that gets hammered home in CCW classes .So, I do not drink when I go to a bar, last time I went to one was to be designated driver ,ergo, no booze. God, I think i may have made this as clear as mud.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links