To non-NRA members that are upset with the current gun control push - - - Page 3

To non-NRA members that are upset with the current gun control push - -

This is a discussion on To non-NRA members that are upset with the current gun control push - - within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with those who make the "personal choice" case. I'm not a "joiner." I'm about as independent as a person can get. People have ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: To non-NRA members that are upset with the current gun control push - -

I agree with those who make the "personal choice" case. I'm not a "joiner." I'm about as independent as a person can get. People have called me "too liberal for Democrats and too conservative for Republicans. I don't like supporting political stuff and kinda shied away from doing it for a long time. I was faithful about my letters and making phone calls, but I eventually felt that the benefits outweighed the costs and well, I joined. I was happier about it than I thought I was going to be, too.
    Last edited by GunsAndViolince; February 19th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    oneshot likes this.

They support more of what we stand for than many organizations. That is why I am a proud member. The first amendment entitles people to complain. I just hope they are doing something, other than yelling into the wind, if it is not joining the NRA.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The NRA is not the only one fighting the fight. There is the Second Amendment Foundation.

The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is dedicated to promoting a better understanding about our Constitutional heritage to privately own and possess firearms. To that end, we carry on many educational and legal action programs designed to better inform the public about the gun control debate. The Foundation has a noteworthy track record in supporting legal actions, or amicus briefs, in cases affecting the right to keep and bear arms. Successful court actions have been brought in many states—from overturning the San Francisco handgun ban to blocking a ban on the sale of handguns in New Haven, CT. The Foundation also has sponsored challenges to unfair concealed carry license practices in several states, including Ohio’s prohibition on concealed carry. One Foundation suit helped end 19 years of Los Angeles police denial of California CCWs, paving the way for issuance to average citizens. The Foundation has helped fund lawsuits against the 1994 federal gun ban, the California ban, and countersued cities that sued the gun industry.
    Second Amendment Foundation Online

Jews for the Preservation Firearms Ownership
    Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership

Gun Owners of America
    Gun Owners of America
    ericb327 and bklynboy like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Became a member of the NRA today!
    glockman10mm and revldm like this.

See, it's great you write politicians, etc, but they care about MONEY and VOTES (on a massive scale) much more which is why the NRA is powerful.

I'm all for the NRA giving Harry Reid an "A" rating...you know why? He's the one that will likely keep any gun control from reaching a vote in the senate! He doesn't wanna go against that "A" rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    You have not seen on this forum, Folks in favor of Mandatory Training before you can cc on this very forum? Youve not seen support for a National 2a protection act? Support for the ignorant Mental Health checks, back ground checks, even Universal background checks, and almost all of them by their own words NRA members???

Anyway you slice any of those even if the supporters of them can come up with a rationale for supporting them, they all boil down to INFRINGEMENT OF OUR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHT to keep and bear arms.
    When you can pin someone down that supports these things and others or comes up with their own regulation because in their mind there is a need for it they will admit no authority was given by Constitution to anybody or gov to regulate it. Of course then you get the "But they already have and half a loaf and the Supreme Court and on and on why its ok they have and even ok if they do more if only we can keep them from doing to much.
    Look im not an NRA enemy. Im in the fight as hard as anyone probably harder than some. And I may have come off to hard in my first response.

But when Im writing my guts out to the politicans, going and talking to the ones that I know personally every chance I get to hold their feet to the fire. Willing to not give one inch and work to get back what we already illegally lost.

And then I see people on our side, NRA members right here, proposing stuff that on any level is infringement just the same as the the junk the antis are coming with and all of it illegal and they call ME short sighted because I havent joined the NRA yet?

Yeah it gets under my skin. You say im short sighted. I say these folks are short sighted and cant see every inch we give we never get back, and yet will still come up with mandatory this and that thing that. And they have the right to that opinion but NO right to impose it on anyone because the Constitution strictly forbids it

Make you a deal. When the NRA stops funding libs and giving A ratings to them full well knowing they will turn like a snake if they even sense a slight shift in the wind. Stops advocating this mental health stupidity which is infringement as well since its already taken care of legally as best it can be. And NRA members here stop promoting things that are blatant infringement and then saying anybody that hasnt joined the NRA has no right to say anything or write or talk to their reps to stop this crap and is part of the problem, Ill send in my money and get my flashlight made in China.
    To be honest I was about too when i joined here. But between what I have seen pushed here by NRA members and NRA itself pushing this mental health garbage I changed my mind.

Dont mean to offend. But the OP of this one didnt give a rats behind about taking a mile wide brush and painting anybody that hasnt jumped into the NRAs nest yet as irrelevant crazy and short sighted with it.

totally agree
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ghost1958, what you just described above is exactly why we loose.

Sure, people have different ideas on how to do things. But does holding a grudge because some may not believe exactly like you on every issue really matter?

Is it enough to keep us all from joining under the same organization as 50 million being heard with one voice? 100 million?

Or because of a few disagreements we will stand as 5 million fighting for the other 150 million gun owners?
    One stick is easily broken, a bundle is almost impossible to break.

ghost, the two reasons u site against the NRA are totally inaccurate too:

harry reid has an A rating because he doesn't go against the NRA which will HELP US with the dem-controlled senate right now with the new gun control bills. he's afraid of losing that rating and doesnt want the nra to run a campaign against him. it's WORKING, what the nra is doing, right now.

also, regarding the heller case, the nra initially didn't want to to go to the supreme court because they were worried of an unfavorable decision because of the court's balance at the time (2003). if the case was ruled the other way, it would be DETRIMENTAL to us...once alito and roberts were sworn in, it changed things and led to the favorable 2008 decision. you have to look into these things. once you do, you see just how much they are HELPING YOU.

ghost: also look at all the things the NRA has done since the heller decision that's pro 2a

District of Columbia v. Heller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll reiterate what I stated before.

If the NRA only stuck with standing up for 2A rights, expanding 2A rights, and working to suppress the idiotic ideas from anti-gun nut jobs then I would sign up in a heartbeat. If that was the sole function and political purpose I would have put in a $300 lifetime membership and put down even more ridiculous amounts of money in donations. Yes I have that as chump change to do so. No I am not going to do it for the NRA as they currently are.

The NRA plays too much politics on too many other fronts to justify my money going towards them. I rather drop that donation money onto politicians I align more thoroughly with which I know will do just as effective job on protecting 2A rights as the NRA.

When the NRA can pull their collective heads out their ass and really focus on what their sole purpose is, which is protecting the 2A against loonies that would go through any means to take it away, THEN I will put all my backing behind them.

Am I aware they do some actions in regards to protecting the 2A? Yep and I do appreciate what effort on that front the NRA does. But I also think they are a bit of a bloated organization that has to many captains at the helm. Captains which like to steer their revenue into other channels than I would not like them to steer into. I want to know my investments, big and small, are going to get a good return. I don't see the NRA as a good investment right now.

what kind of politics do they play?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    why are you not a member yet?

you're not allowed to complain unless you do SOMETHING about it. becoming a member of the NRA or donating to the NRA-ILA is doing something about it as they are our only real power in washington and various states.

it's like the person that complains about politics but never votes--i don't wanna hear it.
    I choose who represents me. Not you! I've always believed people judge you by the company you keep. It's like being cool with the bully so you don't get your butt kicked or joining a gang because they will protect you. I have my own views and express them when I need to. I don't need to stand with the NRA because they're the biggest kid on the block. I can do my part on my own. You are the NRA; I am not!
    Crowman likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Well, Ya Can lead A Horse To Water...............but some don't get it.

what kind of politics do they play?
    They have been known to pander to anti-gun nuts in a quid pro quo fashion. I made one example earlier. I feel that they sometimes do not go far enough in their political drive for pro 2A issues such as the original AWB of 1994. Something they failed miserably on. Many times they'll say one thing, but do another. Stating publicly that they are against certain anti gun measures, but then knuckle under to allow some to slip through so they can get at some other piece of the pie in Washington. They tend to spend money on certain politicians that are only remotely pro guns, but have ideas I am vehemently against. I really dislike when they also have a mouth piece that draws in things like religion into logical gun debates as an argument. Statements like, "It's a God given right!" tend to rub me the wrong way. Not everyone that supports pro guns is going to be Christian in their view. Keep to promoting gun rights and not other topics.

I could go on, but really those are enough reasons as to why I am not an NRA member.
    ericb327 and Crowman like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Well, Ya Can lead A Horse To Water...............but some don't get it.
    You mean Kool Aid!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

why are you not a member yet?

you're not allowed to complain unless you do SOMETHING about it. becoming a member of the NRA or donating to the NRA-ILA is doing something about it as they are our only real power in washington and various states.

it's like the person that complains about politics but never votes--i don't wanna hear it.
    I don't believe that is your decision to make. For someone with a "Don't Tread On Me " avatar, it's kind of intrusive. The NRA is not the only organization, or the only way to contact elected officials or newspapers. If you don't want to hear about it, don't ask.
    Crowman and ericb327 like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links