Ruger LC380 - first outing, a slight "issue" noticed - suggestions??

This is a discussion on Ruger LC380 - first outing, a slight "issue" noticed - suggestions?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We took my wife’s new Ruger LC380 out today and overall it performed well. We put about 100 rounds down the barrel. It shoots a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger LC380 - first outing, a slight "issue" noticed - suggestions??

We took my wife’s new Ruger LC380 out today and overall it performed well. We put about 100 rounds down the barrel. It shoots a lot lower than I am used to with my G19, but that will just take some getting used to, and it is my wife's not my worry about the aim point. She is getting the hang of it, and is learning its aiming.

My wife had a few failure to eject/failure to feed, but I think that is combination of new gun break in, and grip. I never had a failure to eject or feed when I shot it, so I think it is the grip or possible limp wristing.

Now the issue. The slide does not always lock back on an empty mag. The interesting part is it only had the problem when my wife was shooting, it never happened with me. However I found when I manually operated the slide, I could make it malfunction happen. When I racked the slide, if I put slight downward pressure on the back of the slide while racking it, it will lock back every time. When I rack it and place very slight upward pressure on the back of the slide (very slight) it will not lock back, and now It only came with a single magazine, so I am not sure if it the magazine itself, or if it something in the gun.

After taking it down and looking closely, I found that the slide lock back sticks down. With the magazine out, it has great “spring” but when I insert a magazine (full of snap caps), and push them out, the lock back sticks down, failing to rise and engage the slide when the mag is empty.

Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone have suggestions?

Edit: I took the gun down, including the magazine and I think I fixed the problem. After looking closely at the spring in the magazine, I simply flipped it over (not top for bottom, but left for right). This allowed the high side of the spring to press up on the follower a little bit better. It still stuck just a bit, so I added just a drop of oil to the slide lock back and worked it up and down. I felt it loosen up a bit, and after inserting the magazine back into the gun, I was able to cycle some snap caps, and could not get it to not lock back. It seems to be perfect now.
    Last edited by DMan; February 18th, 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added my fix to the issue.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

DMan, thanks for the info.

Yesterday I took two new LC380's to the range. With three different shooters, Both guns failed to lock the slide open everytime they were fired. I will try your fix to see if I can influence that condition.

On one of the guns, 50% of the time the empty's failed to eject/feed properly. Again, it didn't matter who was shooting the gun. I also noticed on that gun, the recoil spring seemed to be much stiffer.

If anyone else is having this eject/feed issue, I'm definitely interested in knowing what was tried, and what helped. Meanwhile, I plan to rack the slide as often as I can to see if I can help the break in along.

The last outing we had with this gun, it worked flawlessly. This is a gun that needs some good working/break in time. Make sure you put a drop of oil between the frame and the slide lock and work it with your finger up and down a bunch.

I am not sure what fix did the job, but I am totally sold on this little gun now.
    sioux565 likes this.

Does it have the long trigger pull lime the LCP or LC9?

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Does it have the long trigger pull lime the LCP or LC9?
    It is the exact same platform as the LC9, the magazines have a spacer in them to fit the shorter .380 found and of course the chamber and such are to fit the the shorter round, but the trigger, and everything else is pretty much identical.

OMG

now because of all the unorthodox individual state regulations like in the " Land of Feinstein ".

Ruger had to go and ruin their fine little Elsie Pea; & turn it into ah LC9 running .380acp's just to pacify them unethical platelets!

sure am glad I live where I'm not bothered by such " Tom Foolery " !!

Though Kudos too though on your new buy, hope it all works out for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    OMG

now because of all the unorthodox individual state regulations like in the " Land of Feinstein ".

Ruger had to go and ruin their fine little Elsie Pea; & turn it into ah LC9 running .380acp's just to pacify them unethical platelets!

sure am glad I live where I'm not bothered by such " Tom Foolery " !!

Though Kudos too though on your new buy, hope it all works out for you!!

And what may I ask did any of this gun control stuff have to do with making a 9mm platform into a .380? It was a great conversion for someone (like my wife) for a first gun, and who wants something controllable and fit their hand without too much bite.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    And what may I ask did any of this gun control stuff have to do with making a 9mm platform into a .380? It was a great conversion for someone (like my wife) for a first gun, and who wants something controllable and fit their hand without too much bite.
    I didn’t & don’t intend to get into a cock-fight over this. So DO NOT take`s offense…please!

Actually Ruger made the LC9/9mm with first intentions of making a .380acp platform into ah 9mm, not the other way around. But that is for discussion in another thread?

now; Moving forward……
    Well it isn’t the NEW & IMPROVED gun-control stuff I was eluding too. It is the OLD & DISILLUSIONMENT’s mental upsets of preexisting and present day’s gun-control.

Some places have imposed despondencies upon their “Law Abiding Firearm’s Owning Citizens” such as and not only limited to the following:

A) a short list of firearms that you “can only own” within their home-state’s borders

B) firearms must have an mag safety

C) firearms must have an loaded chamber indicator

D) firearms must include an internal lock

E) magazine capacities limitations

F) etcetera, etcetera, & etcetera

And manufactures must ALSO apply for certification to be able to be sold in some states.

When Ruger first announced their new LC9, it was supposedly toted as a < “must own” & “true-clone” > to their LCP but, it was going to be able to shoot boo lit’s in 9mm: “Which in all reality it isn’t a 9mm shootin “true-clone” of the LCP.”

Also, might I add that; the LCP is a banned substance in the “Land of Feinstein” too. You can check the list of what is permissible to own in that “Fantasy-Land” here @ http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

Now, with Ruger’s new LC380, the long and ever so growing list of delusional legislators’, will now be able to allow their “Law Abiding Firearm’s Owning Citizens” too have the luxury of having a nice little CCW packin pisto-lah in .380acp. Just think, even LEO's in New York will be able to carry it too cuz the mag only houses 7-boo lits

As for my personal palate, I do not own an LC9, nor would I ever get one because, of all of what I refer to as its “Californiacation’s”; what examples are listed above in} A & B & C & D & F.

Now IF the LC9 was a true-clone of the LCP. WITHOUT all of its Californiacation Modifications. I would GLADLY buy one. Because I have shot the LCP and it is a nice little thang!

But as previously posted by mowah. I am lucky to live in a State that doesn’t impose fails restorative justice upon its Law Abiding Firearm’s Owning Citizens. And we can own what-ever we what….as long as we pass the BG-C!

God Bless this place I live

So….If you or anyone buys’s ah Ruger LC380, I wish you all, each & every-one of you, the best of luck and I hope you all have years, and years, and years of shooting pleasure with it!

Though / MMDVAL

I had one and it was problematic. I had tried everything. I finally switched to Hornady Critical Defense at the advise of a fellow forum member, and it was 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I didn’t & don’t intend to get into a cock-fight over this. So DO NOT take`s offense…please!

Actually Ruger made the LC9/9mm with first intentions of making a .380acp platform into ah 9mm, not the other way around. But that is for discussion in another thread?

now; Moving forward……
    Well it isn’t the NEW & IMPROVED gun-control stuff I was eluding too. It is the OLD & DISILLUSIONMENT’s mental upsets of preexisting and present day’s gun-control.

Some places have imposed despondencies upon their “Law Abiding Firearm’s Owning Citizens” such as and not only limited to the following:

A) a short list of firearms that you “can only own” within their home-state’s borders

B) firearms must have an mag safety

C) firearms must have an loaded chamber indicator

D) firearms must include an internal lock

E) magazine capacities limitations

F) etcetera, etcetera, & etcetera

And manufactures must ALSO apply for certification to be able to be sold in some states.

When Ruger first announced their new LC9, it was supposedly toted as a < “must own” & “true-clone” > to their LCP but, it was going to be able to shoot boo lit’s in 9mm: “Which in all reality it isn’t a 9mm shootin “true-clone” of the LCP.”

Also, might I add that; the LCP is a banned substance in the “Land of Feinstein” too. You can check the list of what is permissible to own in that “Fantasy-Land” here @ http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

Now, with Ruger’s new LC380, the long and ever so growing list of delusional legislators’, will now be able to allow their “Law Abiding Firearm’s Owning Citizens” too have the luxury of having a nice little CCW packin pisto-lah in .380acp. Just think, even LEO's in New York will be able to carry it too cuz the mag only houses 7-boo lits

As for my personal palate, I do not own an LC9, nor would I ever get one because, of all of what I refer to as its “Californiacation’s”; what examples are listed above in} A & B & C & D & F.

Now IF the LC9 was a true-clone of the LCP. WITHOUT all of its Californiacation Modifications. I would GLADLY buy one. Because I have shot the LCP and it is a nice little thang!

But as previously posted by mowah. I am lucky to live in a State that doesn’t impose fails restorative justice upon its Law Abiding Firearm’s Owning Citizens. And we can own what-ever we what….as long as we pass the BG-C!

God Bless this place I live

So….If you or anyone buys’s ah Ruger LC380, I wish you all, each & every-one of you, the best of luck and I hope you all have years, and years, and years of shooting pleasure with it!

Though / MMDVAL
    I follow you to some extent - and no offense taken. I was in the current mind of the gun control, and not the mind set of Kalifornia, MA, or some of those other things with the (agreed on) crazy loaded chamber indicator etc.

What I am not with you on is that the LC9/LC380 being a clone of the LCP. There is a significant size difference, and when push comes to shove, the LCP is actually a clone of the KelTec P3AT - granted the LCP is better quality, but if memory serves me correctly, the KelTec P3AT was actually the first, and Ruger ended up paying KelTec for stealing that design. (I may be wrong, but that is what my memory recollects).

LCP-LC9_comparison-copy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I had one and it was problematic. I had tried everything. I finally switched to Hornady Critical Defense at the advise of a fellow forum member, and it was 100% reliable.
    How long ago was that?

How long ago was that?
    Last year. My daughter has it now I don't know if the bullet shape, ramp or what the issues were absolutely , just Personal Defense round was more pointed and worked fine. A easy shooting round as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Last year. My daughter has it now I don't know if the bullet shape, ramp or what the issues were absolutely , just Personal Defense round was more pointed and worked fine. A easy shooting round as well.
    Was that the LC9 or the LC380?

I follow you to some extent - and no offense taken. I was in the current mind of the gun control, and not the mind set of Kalifornia, MA, or some of those other things with the (agreed on) crazy loaded chamber indicator etc. What I am not with you on is that the LC9/LC380 being a clone of the LCP. There is a significant size difference, and when push comes to shove, the LCP is actually a clone of the KelTec P3AT - granted the LCP is better quality, but if memory serves me correctly, the KelTec P3AT was actually the first, and Ruger ended up paying KelTec for stealing that design. (I may be wrong, but that is what my memory recollects).LCP-LC9_comparison-copy.jpg
    Let me splainin it to you further .... Por Favor

Yes you are correct. Ruger's LCP design seems to be based on, and is smiler to KelTec's P3AT; with subtle changes. The LCP has a slide lock, is more sleek and cleaner looking, has a refined smoother finish, and it is much more reliable too. Making it ah much better choice, as market sales reflect. As far as having to deal with any copyright issues over its design with KelTec, I can't say? Maybe someone can confirm any of that?

The LC9 is of a slight larger platform then the LCP. But when Ruger announced the soon to be released LC9. It was calling it, an LCP on steroids! They referred to it as somewhat of a clone, though bigger, of the LCP as well. But because of it being a 9mm. It would have to be a bit bigger. When it finally hit the shelves though. It was very, very different as it has several built in safety features, that the LCP does not.

They may have include these add safety things to pacify overly restrictive market places like Cally & such, so they could reach more of ah potential market. Problem was/is. By doing so, they discouraged folks like myself because there are other choices to be bought that do not have so many of them to deal with. Then the mini-9mm-pocket-rocket becoming ah popular choice. Other manufacturers like Kahr, Beretta, Diamondback, and S&W followed in pursuit, to produce affordable mini-9mm's. Some have runs that do & do not include the Cally stuff, and some do not.

So now that the LC9 has become an exceptionable desire in the mini-9mm market place. And Ruger has been missing out on the .380acp Cally and similar-limitations market place. They have now came-out with their NEW LC380 pisto-lah. Personally if I had to choose between the LC9 & LC380. I'd prefer the 9mm LC9 unless it was too snappy, then I'd consider an LC380. But then again, before I'd consider an LC380, I'd give the Shield ah try. And if my state restrictions denied me the ownership of an LCP and I was insistent on getting ah .380acp. I'd look at some-other .380acp then the LC380. Not that there is anything wrong with Rugers. They make some of the best firearms available!

So....yes the LC9 is a bit bigger then the LCP, but its got ah be; it's a 9mm.

Where as the LC380 is the same size as the LC9 because. The only difference is one is ah .380acp & the other is ah 9mm.

Also, the LC380 has just been released onto the market, so will it sell? I'm sure it will find its place in the market place.

Will it be reliable? It's a Ruger so if it does have any issues, as some newly released firearm's products sometimes do. Ruger WILL make it right. Because that is what Ruger does. Their CS is second too none!

Unless they just got it very recently, my guess would be it was an LC9 because the LC380 was just recently released into the market place.

LC380

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links