H & K usp .40 review request

This is a discussion on H & K usp .40 review request within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking at buying a USP .40 caliber. wanted to know if y'all have any experience shooting them and what you could tell me. I currently ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eighthtee

Thread: H & K usp .40 review request

H & K usp .40 review request

Looking at buying a USP .40 caliber. wanted to know if y'all have any experience shooting them and what you could tell me.

I currently have an FNS 9mm and I wanted to know if y'all know any similarities/differences. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Also, is it a good carry pistol?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    You did not specify full size or compact. I own a full size and have since 1993. This was my first carry .
    Pros- ultra reliable. I have a had two stoppages when new with the last round popping out of the mag and getting caught in the chamber. This has not happened in years and could be because of the mag spring or bullet shape. It has run hyrashoks, black talons, gold dots, FMJ and reloads without a hitch.
    The grip is very sharp and easy to hold .some may find the grip checkering too sharp.
    Accuracy has been very good as well, the gun is more accurate than I am.
    Good solid , visible sights. Extreme condition finish has works well without rusting in all weather (camping, hunting , winter camping).
    I have never had to replace any part including recoil spring even after shooting many thousands of rounds.
    Cons- pistol is heavy and bulky to carry concealed. Some don't like the high axis bore over grip. Magazines are expensive. The single action trigger has sigfigant slack before resistance. The double action trigger is a long pull. The grp may be too large for comfort if you have small hands. The safety has a audible click.

Hope this helps, I know I will never part with mine , even with some flaws the gun really is nice and reliable. Mine has seen some rough use and still works flawlessly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the insight, Rocky. I would prefer compact for carry, but sounds like it doesn't matter. I don't mind heavier pistols because they seem to be more accurate in my hand. A lot of polymer pistols seem too light in my hands. The trigger does concern me cause I've heard it'll take 10 lbs or so on double action.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've owned a Ruger P94, S&W Sigma;
    and shot a Glock 23, Taurus (don't remember model), Ruger SR40c and S&W Shield,... All in 40S&W.
    The HK USP beats them all hands down. It's the only 40S&W I still own and it won't be going anywhere.
    I carry it occasionally and it is currently (3yrs now) my night stand standby. If it's in decent condition, you can't go wrong.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have owned an HK USP Compact .40 S&W for about 6 years and it has been a tack driver and completely reliable. I have over 2,000 rounds through it and I have yet to have a failure.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I believe there are 7 different trigger variants for the HK .40 USP.
    Find the one you like. I prefer the LEM. No safety, no decocking, etc. In a high pressure situation you will loose all your small motor skills. Forgetting or being unable to take the safety off may be fatal. Keep it as simple as a revolver. You pull trigger, it goes bang. Every time, no thought, no manipulations, no fussing with the gun.

Eighthtee
    remington79 likes this.

I love my HK USP Compact in 40 with 3300 rounds through it.
    The grip is nice I have never felt it slip when my hands are sweaty. I don't find it heavy at all. I bought mine before the LEM trigger came out, but I use the safety only as a decocker. I do find the first shot to be too heavy for my tastes. The Glock trigger has a better reset and no take up.
    I can shoot the HK USP in 40 as well as I can a Glock 19. I find 40 to be very controlable in this platform. Now I want a G19 (fits my hand better and I can stop borrowing my wife's) and a HK USP Compact in 9 with the LEM trigger. The HK was my carry gun for many years and was my first pistol.

Now that I'm at a computer I can write a little more. The double action trigger can be heavy at times but if it is all you're shooting you get used to it quick. The single action trigger is nice and light. In terms of the G19 fitting my hands better it is because of the width, side to side width of the grip where the G19 fits my hands better. I find the HK USP Compact to be a bit too narrow. I guess that's why I can't understand people who want slim line pistols.

the only problems I've had with the pistol was during the first 500 rounds every so often I'd have a fail to return to battery. I think part of it is because of the way 40 caliber FMJs are shaped. the problem was easily fixed with a quick tap to the rear of the slide. It never did it again until a couple of weeks ago as I was nearing 3300 rounds. It only did it once but I think it is now getting to the point where I need to replace the recoil spring. Other than that it has had no issues. The pistol is very easy to shoot and you can go a couple of hundred rounds at a time with no problems. It doesn't beat on you like some pistols do. This was the pistol I cut my teeth on and really learned how to use a pistol. Like I said this was my first pistol and if I had to do it all over again I would buy it again with no hesitation. I also like where the mag release is located.

The USP might well be the best handgun in the world to be chambered for .40 S&W. The recoil reduction system does a stellar job, not just to help reduce perceived recoil to the shooter but also to prolong the life of the gun. You can read about a test where 91,000+ rounds of ammo were fired thru one over the course of just a few months with a total of 17 failures (with 10 of them being due to an out-of-spec part they failed to notice, and most of the rest being after they basically had worn out the gun). At any rate, that failure percentage is so low that my calculator reverts to scientific notation to display it.

That said, the FNX .40 is also a good gun and a few hundred cheaper. You can't go wrong with the USP but the FN is a good choice as well.

I've played with the .45 USP and loved it, thought about getting it but went with my 1911 instead
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I had the compact model USPS in 40 a few years ago. It had been equipped with the LEM trigger since the original owner is a commercial pilot. It was probably as fine a hand gun as I'll ever own, but I traded it. I found it to be completely boring. I can't explain why I was unimpressed with such a fine gun. The double tap was amazing. It always functioned perfectly. But I looked at it as though it were a 3 day old fish that fired 40 S&W. So I traded it and have no regrets. Still, they're a fine piece of machinery.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

In reply to one of the above posters. I remember reading that the USP Compact was actually designed around the 40 caliber while other companies adapt their 9mm guns to shoot 40.

i have owned the usp compact in 9, 40 and currently in 45. Fantastic weapon. The accuracy and reliabity are among the best. The 40 was my least favorite but thats just the caliber. The 9 and 45 were my favorite, it is a chunky gun for CC but in my hands, is the most accurate out of the box gun (especially the .45) i have owned.

Links