Winchester model 94 lever gun

This is a discussion on Winchester model 94 lever gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Winchester model 94 30-30 from the 70's that was my grandfathers and was the 2nd rifle I ever hunted with as a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By goawayfarm
  • 1 Post By dangerranger

Thread: Winchester model 94 lever gun

Winchester model 94 lever gun

I have a Winchester model 94 30-30 from the 70's that was my grandfathers and was the 2nd rifle I ever hunted with as a boy. I have another winchester 32 special that was his as well in great shape and was my first hunting rifle. I know it's not pre-64. Long story short I loaned it to my stepfather some time ago and he kept it in the soft case in a closet that apparently had some kind of a leak in the roof (so he says). After a few explatives I took the gun home and began some damage control work to remove most of the rust from the receiver, lever, and barrel, I have it all oiled with reciever in the raw.Luckily it didn't get bad enough to pit. My question is this, I have heard and viewed alot of horror bluing jobs with these rifle receivers due to the steel that they were made of. Is there a special bluing process other than the typical hot dip salts bluing? I have heard they were painted, black chrome finished, graphitic steel made receivers yada yada. The gun will never be sold ever, so is it worth having hot blued or the like or just cold blue and shoot it for what it is? The money isn't an issue here,however aside from sentimental value that is through the roof, I understand the value. I'm just wondering because of so many botched jobs i have saw on these guns.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    At least you "stopped the bledding" Since you got it cleaned up and stablized it you don't need to get on it right away. Think it over, do some research and let us know.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    A lot of the 94s receivers have damaged bluing. In a lot of cases it was due to blood from game animals that got on the shooters hands or gloves....then when they grabbed their Winchester, usually by the receiver & the damage was done. (blood is bad for bluing!)
    Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Here is an example of bluing damage. This particular rifle I had parkerized & today looks great.
    Attached Images
    icemanls2 likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If it were mine I would not be happy with anything but a re blue. No home method will make it look right. Since its not a collectors piece I wouldn't think twice about having it repaired. Its much the same as having a fender repaired on a favorite car or PU. These people have done some refinishing for me. Grade 2 will most closely match the original Winchester finish.

Hot Flash Gun Refinishing Service

With only the light rust and no pitting the re finisher will be able to easily make it right. Good luck DR
    icemanls2 likes this.

goawayfarm, I really like the color scheme and pattern used for that rifle. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    A lot of the 94s receivers have damaged bluing. In a lot of cases it was due to blood from game animals that got on the shooters hands or gloves....then when they grabbed their Winchester, usually by the receiver & the damage was done. (blood is bad for bluing!)
    Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Here is an example of bluing damage. This particular rifle I had parkerized & today looks great.
    It was worse than the first photo you showed and it included the lever, internals, and the first 3 inches of the barrel (luckily not on or around the barrel stamping) and a couple spots about midway on the barrel. I don't have a photo of it, I was more concerned with as said stopping the bleeding and forgot to take a photo. I can take a photo of it now. Just the major areas of rust were stripped and the rest still has blue on it.

Took a few photos. Spots on the barrel and the lever were cleaned of all rust and hit with cold blue for now and oiled

IMAG0571.jpgIMAG0572.jpgIMAG0573.jpg

Links