On another note, Just got a call from my 6 yr olds school!

This is a discussion on On another note, Just got a call from my 6 yr olds school! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 6 yr old son that loves to shoot with me. This year I got him a Rossi 410/.22 combo gun and we ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: On another note, Just got a call from my 6 yr olds school!

On another note, Just got a call from my 6 yr olds school!

I have a 6 yr old son that loves to shoot with me. This year I got him a Rossi 410/.22 combo gun and we have been going out to shoot clays, resetting steels, paper, balloons, etc. Last week we were shooting and he says to me, Dad? what bud? Is it ok to say you love guns? I say sure it is, as long as you know the rules of safety, respect them, and never use them for anything bad, it is perfectly fine. He says ok and goes back to plinking. WELL, got a call from the school that in class they were talking about what each kid likes to do for fun. My boy says I like to shoot my gun. A little boy in class says to him (a real gun?) He says yes, I have a 22 and I shoot it all the time! The kid apparently freaked out, they took my son to the office and proceeded to ask just what and why he has a gun and what is he being taught at home. After a long discussion and assured he isn't in any trouble because he didn't use the term GUN in a threatening manner. They informed my wife and I that they were calling the parents of the other child so they know what happened and that they would appreciate us having a talk with my son about keeping gun talk at home. My question is this? Why do I have to restrict what he says and watch every word that comes from his mouth just because his interest is other than the Norm! I am quite perplexed by this! My son does 3 things. He races motocross (and is 2012 state champoin i might add, lol) rides bicycles, and shoots his gun. Oh, x box rated E for everyone games also. How do you explain to a 6 yr old he isn't allowed to discuss what he likes because other children don't do that? I also had a mom threaten to call social services on me because of the dirtbike. I told her when you call, tell my wife I said hello. (I'll let you all read between that line, lol) But really, this has really gotten to me. I'd like to hear your thoughts. photo added

560182_10200098482257714_2017656974_n.jpg

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ugh. "Gun" is not a dirty word.

I do my best not to be "that parent" to my kid's school admin. But they really do need occasional correction from the real world.

VIP Member
    My answer: You don't. I'd call up the principal and tell him in no uncertain terms that if he doesn't want to hear an answer, then he better instruct the teacher to not ask the question. Shooting isn't against the law (at least not yet) and enjoying firearms is both a healthy activity and a great way to bond with your children. If the principal/teacher/school can't deal with reality then the better stop asking questions about what their students enjoy doing outside of school.

I'm sick of this ignorant, PC, liberal, demonize-that-which-you-don't-approve-of mentality.

***rant off***
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

This is so PC. Agree with TX expat above but, after you tell the school to FOAD; also have that talk with your son. The school, and other "authorities" have their own (valid to them) standards and will sic Child Protective Services on you in a heartbeat. I'm surprised they called you instead of CPS this time.

We feel for you, it stinks. But sometimes you have to bend to keep from breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    My answer: You don't. I'd call up the principal and tell him in no uncertain terms that if he doesn't want to hear an answer, then he better instruct the teacher to not ask the question. Shooting isn't against the law (at least not yet) and enjoying firearms is both a healthy activity and a great way to bond with your children. If the principal/teacher/school can't deal with reality then the better stop asking questions about what their students enjoy doing outside of school.

I'm sick of this ignorant, PC, liberal, demonize-that-which-you-don't-approve-of mentality.

***rant off***
    Yup, that about sums it up for me as well. At least your Son didn't throw an imaginary grenade.
    mano3 likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

In this case the principal is female and so far this isn't my first run -in with her. My wife talked to her and politely told her that we do not live in the city or village limits. We live in farm country because we chose to. On any given day you can hear target practice going on around us and people are going to have to understand that he isn't your average 6 yr old. We have a meeting scheduled with her for a sit down. It's not right what kids are being droned to say and like nowadays!

My response, "You asked him a question and he gave an honest innocent answer. Not every boy nowadays plays dolls...not that there's anything wrong with that either."

Any other discussion would be, "1st amendment right to answer honestly, 2nd amendment right for me to supervise my son in the responsible and legal use of my firearms. Don't ask questions you are not prepared to hear the answers. We're not apologizing for squat."
    phreddy, ccw9mm, niks and 24 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I foresee me having issues like this with my 4 yo son. He loves to make guns with Legos.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Cenosring speech is another way for anti's to try and marginalize gun owners.
    Sunny, DaveInEdmonds and Yetiman like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You guys are all so confused. Don't you understand that you only have the rights they say you do? Next thing you know you folks will think it is OK to go to the church of your choice...
    BugDude, Ghost1958 and OD* like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

They are trying to make some big deal out of this because some kid freaked out. I'm sure his parents told him to run right to the principal the minute he hears someone say gun! My wife says oh great, another set of parents that will hate our son. I said who give's a bleep if they do! If they wanna be closed minded and have a gun grabber mentality they can have it at their own bleep home! She brings me back to earth and lets me know it's not that simple all the time and i suppose she is right.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Not every boy nowadays plays dolls...not that there's anything wrong with that either."

My response:

"If the other child is freaking out because my child mentioned he likes to shoot guns with his dad, then it's your responsibility to report that child and HIS parents to social services because his reaction to a normal situation is far out of hand. You should be asking what is going on in his house that's he's so afraid of the word gun and leave my child alone for doing something that he safely enjoys with his father."

Once she picked her jaw up off the floor for someone daring to call guns "normal," I'd look over to my wife who'd invite her to the gun range for a "lady's day" couple hours of shooting.

I've yet to see someone shoot and then say, "Naa, I don't like it."

I came from a time when my teachers would get my homework around because when Nov 15th came around, you didn't see me for at least a week. (i'm now 42) I went to the range every week with my grandfather and shot all the time and it was some of the best times I can remember! Now it considered taboo for to have the same experience with my son and it pisses me off! what is wrong with people anymore!

I don't have children so won't be faced with similar situation. However, I wonder if it would be prudent to call my representatives and ask them if they will stand up to this nonsense. Hopefully they support 2A.
    Pistology likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links