Ever heard of a property manager/land lord banning firearms from apartments, etc?

This is a discussion on Ever heard of a property manager/land lord banning firearms from apartments, etc? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering if this is even LEGAL. Just curious. I'm sure BGs would love a totally disarmed apartment complex. Like hitting the jackpot!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ever heard of a property manager/land lord banning firearms from apartments, etc?

Ever heard of a property manager/land lord banning firearms from apartments, etc?

Just wondering if this is even LEGAL. Just curious.

I'm sure BGs would love a totally disarmed apartment complex. Like hitting the jackpot!
    Eagleks likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Yup, sure can. Check your lease before signing.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I suppose it would depend on what state you lived in and what the state laws were. I used to travel with work in a 5th wheel camper and many of the RV parks didnt "allow" guns. They had no legal right to make this restriction and trust me, I didnt pay any attention to their rules. I never signed a lease with that requirement. In Utah, signs like that dont mean squat.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Yep, depends on your state laws. In some states, the lessee has the same rights as if they owned the place.

Guns are generally prohibited in all government housing, as well. Look how well that has worked out over the years.
    BugDude likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Wow - I have not heard of that. Legally it makes sense that they can do that though. When I was living in apts I always had a gun. If it was banned by the property manager, I didn't know.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

Ever heard of a property manager/land lord banning firearms from apartments, et

Been in complex where the lease stated no open display of firearms on property. Didn't ban them onsite or concealed carry, just visible display.

I can only speak for Wisconsin, but the landlord cannot restrict the occupants currently living in a unit from carrying. However, they could place a restriction in the lease. The restriction in the lease could be challenged. The Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin's opinion on this is:

"Landlords should consider whether enacting such prohibitions might make the them susceptible to fair housing challenges based on an occupant’s Second Amendment right to bear arms for self defense or their Fourth Amendment right to privacy in one’s home."

http://stoughtoncitydocs.com/files/h...edcarryfaq.pdf
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Not in Kentucky. Employers can't prohibit you from having a gun in your vehicle on their property.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Certainly a state-by-state issue. Your residence, owned or rented is private, but common areas (parking areas, entrys, etc.) are not. That's where it get sticky.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

definitely a state by state issue, MN 624.714 Subd. 17 (e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    I can only speak for Wisconsin, but the landlord cannot restrict the occupants currently living in a unit from carrying. However, they could place a restriction in the lease. The restriction in the lease could be challenged. The Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin's opinion on this is:

"Landlords should consider whether enacting such prohibitions might make the them susceptible to fair housing challenges based on an occupant’s Second Amendment right to bear arms for self defense or their Fourth Amendment right to privacy in one’s home."

http://stoughtoncitydocs.com/files/h...edcarryfaq.pdf
    in WI they can ban open or concealed carry in the "common areas" of apartments.

If they I have never known and I wouldnt care. There are lots of places to live that wont have an issue with it. If i found out after signing I would still do what I do. Their peace of mind is not worth a compromise to my safety.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Scratch out that part of the lease and initial it before you sign it. I haven't heard of landlords doing this but when I sign a lease that means it's my home. I'm not going to give up my rights to live there. What's next them putting in the lease that you can't vote?

Ironically, when we lived in Colorado in 1995-1998, every place we lived banned firearms except hunting rifles and hunting shotguns, meaning they had to have a traditional styling/look to them. Totally ridiculous. Now look where they're (CO) is at.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links