.22 vs .17 bolt action rifles. opinions wanted!

This is a discussion on .22 vs .17 bolt action rifles. opinions wanted! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I have a 10/22 Ruger that I just put a new scope on, and did a few ammo tests, I sighted it in right ...

Thread: .22 vs .17 bolt action rifles. opinions wanted!

.22 vs .17 bolt action rifles. opinions wanted!

Hello, I have a 10/22 Ruger that I just put a new scope on, and did a few ammo tests, I sighted it in right at 75 yards, because I've always wanted a "100 yard" .22, for squirrels and such. Anyway, I always wanted a tricked out 10/22, thumbhole stock, Vloquartsen barrel, the whole shebang. Now, I'm thinking I'd rather have a bolt action .22, just because I like bolt actions, maybe It's mental, but I'd swear I shoot better with them. So now I'm thinking I may just leave my ruger alone and use it for plinking and stuff, and just buy a bolt action .22 and use that for my 100 yard stuff.

I saw a Kimber heavy barrel target model at the gun shop, and I would REALLY like that, but in non-perfect shape at $600 smackers, It's not gonna happen right now. I'm not a huge fan of the Marlin and Savage actions, they always seem too cheap, not up to par with the other brands, but there's 3 Marlin .22s in my family, and they are all shooters. So, I'm kinda thinking of picking up a $200 dollar-ish bolt action, and right now it's looking like a Savage Mark II FV, 21" heavy barrel, Accu trigger set up.

I can get the Savage in either a .22 or a .17, and I know that the .17 has a lot more velocity, but if I see a racoon or the like at say, 125, I know the .17 is a lot flatter shooting, but can I trust a 17 grain bullet to do the job at 125 yards? Just wanted to get a few comments from people that have experience with them, and if anyone is shooting one of the Savage's with the Accutrigger. I'm not looking for Anschutz accuracy, but I'd like 1 1/2" ish at 100 yards, I know the .17 will do that, and I'm thinking the .22 should too, with the right ammo. My 10.22 right now will do about 2-2 1/2"s, and I haven't tried other brands to tighted up the groups yet.

I know I could throw a stock and a barrel on my 10/22 and get the accuracy I want, but I want a bolt action too. Thanks in advance, Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

2. Remove Ads

If I was looking for a 17 or 22 for coon or squirrel I would get a Marlin in 17 HMR or in 22 Magnum.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I actually ran into 3 different guys this morning, all of them have experience with the .17s, and two swear by the Savage, one just bought one with the accu-trigger, said it's deadly on small game out to 200 with a well placed shot.

Savage makes a thumbhole stocked, heavy stainless barrel, free floated, suggested retail is $400. I think It's gonna be my next gun. :) Thanks, Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

I have yet to find a 17 HMR that won't shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I've got an accu-trigger Savage M93, with a thumbhole stock and heavy blue barrel. It shoots well enough that I'm going to invest in a better scope for it shortly :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Just looked at a 93 today at lunch, I'd like the stainless, but they have the blued in stock, for $329... the Stainless is around $400, but they've been backordered for months. I need to get my car sold so I can have some play money! Thanks guys, Crexrun

I have a 10/22 with only a moly coated 3lb. trigger, a fluted bull barrel from Green Mountain, and a $30 red dot scope. That thing shoots !
    Now the .17... If you read up on the .17hmr vs. .22 mag., I think you'll see that the .22 mag is still superior.

Look into the .17mach2, thats the one that'll reach out and spat them quick ! Yes, at 100 yards, It'll put'em in there place. Less meat damage than the .17hmr too. I shoot targets at that range, and it gets there in a hurry.
    I use a H&R sportster .17mach2 with a variable 6-18 airgun scope. They definitely compliment each other. The single shot rifle was $200, where the Bolt action CZ was $550 (at the time). Good money spent...
    wish you well in your choices....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Thanks for the comments Arthur, I appreciate it! I still will probably end up with a Green Mountain barrel, sporter stock and a trigger assembly in my .22, just because I can't leave well enough alone!

I see the .22 Mag still has more oomph, but I mainly want it for smaller critters, squirrels and such, and just for making difficult, long shots.

A friend of mine's friend has about a $2,000 dollar .17, I guess this guy has money, and shooting is his only hobby, and he set a 4x8 sheet of plywood up at a MILE! and hit it with his .17. My friend didn't believe him, so he took it out and showed him, of course he had to hold way over it, and it was a dead calm day, but still! I would love to see something that little hit a piece of plywood at a full mile. Just because!

anyway, thanks for the input, I think I'm gonna round up a Savage in a .17. Thanks! Crexrun

Links