Shotgun vs AR15 vs Handgun >>>>>>>

Shotgun vs AR15 vs Handgun >>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Shotgun vs AR15 vs Handgun >>>>>>> within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought I remember seeing a youtube video of some unofficial testing that someone did with a new female shooter. They had her shoot at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shotgun vs AR15 vs Handgun >>>>>>>

Thumbs up Shotgun vs AR15 vs Handgun >>>>>>>

I thought I remember seeing a youtube video of some unofficial testing that someone did with a new female shooter. They had her shoot at a target of approx. 21 feet as fast as she can for a period of so many seconds with each of the 3 weapons. Then they counted the number of hits on the target at COM and they concluded the AR15 was the easiest for anyone to use as it had all of its hits COM on the target, whereas the shotgun had very few pellets if any on the target and the hangun just had a few rounds also on target. Anyone also remember seeing this youtube video or know the link to it ??? If so please post it, as I think it would be a good video to show to the anti's and to Mr. Biden. God Bless

That video is the 1st thing that flashes to mind whenever I hear old uncle Joe talking about using a double barrel shotgun. That and the memory of a one-time girlfriend almost getting put on her butt shooting my shotgun.
    Last edited by Harvester; February 20th, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Because I can!!
    Molon Labe

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Maybe if a lady was taught the basic better skills with a semi-auto 20ga shot gun the results would be very different. Not a hard banging 12ga. ARs are not light weight even when there a 16" M-4 . My two girls are faster with there shotguns than my M-4 on a target and you don't want to mess with any of our ladys with there Ccary pistols at 21 feet. If a person did not destroy a target with the shotgun something was very wrong with the person skills , ammo used or the weight of the shotgun. My girls could hunt with a 20ga at a young age. Darn sure powder a grouse too. Heres some of the fearsome recoil from a mossy SA-20 I found in the hands of a kid some small he has a hard time holding up a 6 3/4lb shotgun but recoil is not an issue. Check the recoil.
    mossberg sa20 shooting - YouTube

Or a young lady working out a mossy semi-auto 12ga. Oh that fearsome recoil.
    http://www.darktube.org/watch/this-g...ndle-a-shotgun Let see the Ar boy do better

Senior Moderator
    Nice video
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Worthless video.

Before this thread goes completely into a rifle/shotgun/handgun war, please keep in mind that we are all different and we will more than likely shoot one type of firearm better than another. There is no one right answer.

I agree with the conclusion, but also agree with hardluk - no cheekweld on the shotgun, optic on the AR, stance all messed up, etc. Get basic skills before deciding on a platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    That video is the 1st thing that flashes to mind whenever I hear old uncle Joe talking about using a double barrel shotgun. That and the memory of a one-time girlfriend almost getting put on her butt shooting my shotgun.
    Really? The first thing that flashes through my mind any time I see him is I can't believe we have 4 more years with this nimrod.

Yes this is the video I was looking for. Thanks DesignDawg !!! One has to remember that *most* people that will purchase a firearm for home defense for themselves and / or their family will NOT be out practicing like they should like we do here. About 90% of those people will be firing the firearm just like the woman in the video or worse especially during a stressful situation. This video just shows one example that Mr. Biden's recommendation to purchase a shotgun over a AR15 is not correct. Just my humble opinion. God Bless

Guess you did not watch the second video?? It takes no more effort to shot a shotgun well as a ar well. Just buy smart. Don't hand a 8 1/2lb long barrels shotgun to a girl as she would probbaly never buy it if she can't hold it up!!

Heck give a lady a 22mag semi auto like the old marlin 60 with 15 rounds of minimags hp and solids and your are in deep doo if infront of her.

That first video has to much if and and maybe in it . Not a real rep of many ladys ability.

Watch this and tell me if you think she would be better with an AR/M-4 or ak.
    THIS GIRL CAN HANDLE A SHOTGUN!! - Video - on DARK Tube

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I thought I remember seeing a youtube video of some unofficial testing that someone did with a new female shooter. They had her shoot at a target of approx. 21 feet as fast as she can for a period of so many seconds with each of the 3 weapons. Then they counted the number of hits on the target at COM and they concluded the AR15 was the easiest for anyone to use as it had all of its hits COM on the target, whereas the shotgun had very few pellets if any on the target and the hangun just had a few rounds also on target. Anyone also remember seeing this youtube video or know the link to it ??? If so please post it, as I think it would be a good video to show to the anti's and to Mr. Biden. God Bless
    Your point about "number of hits on target" is completely misguided. Biden described telling his wife that if there was trouble, go strait outside with a double barrel shotgun and fire both barrels up in the air to scare off any trouble.

The approach of leaving the house with a weapon then immediately emptying it without consideration for her safety, the situation outside, or where those rounds may land sounds perfectly reasonable to me. My only suggestion would be that they wouldn't need the shotgun if they would install a 'gun free zone' or 'crime free zone' sign at the fence line.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Guess you did not watch the second video?? It takes no more effort to shot a shotgun well as a ar well. Just buy smart. Don't hand a 8 1/2lb long barrels shotgun to a girl as she would probbaly never buy it if she can't hold it up!!

Heck give a lady a 22mag semi auto like the old marlin 60 with 15 rounds of minimags hp and solids and your are in deep doo if infront of her.

That first video has to much if and and maybe in it . Not a real rep of many ladys ability.

Watch this and tell me if you think she would be better with an AR/M-4 or ak.
    THIS GIRL CAN HANDLE A SHOTGUN!! - Video - on DARK Tube
    I don't think the original video is trying to say woman can't handle a shotgun, It's more a representation of the differences in ease of use for a beginner. Someone with experience should be able to handle larger firearms better, not everyone has that kind of experience, or the time to train to that level. Also, in fairness of the first video, I saw a lot of (Low brass) shells coming out of that shotgun in the second video, the first lady has 00 buck, low recoil yes, but still a high brass round.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I entirely disagree with the bolded statement. It would NOT be a good video to show the antis. Why? Well, do you really want to show them how these evil baby-killing rifles are so easy to handle and fire accurately even for inexperienced shooters?

Personally, for home defense, my wife and I have both handguns and ARs next to the bed (we like the option of long gun or handgun). If we had a HD shotgun I'd probably keep that on my side, and my wife the AR on her side.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

My impression, based on the shooters' reactions, was that all of the shotgun loads were birdshot/small game loads - high brass doesn't necessarily equal defensive loads. I also think a more honest representation would be if 00 buck (reduced recoil) was used in shotguns and either take the optic off the AR or put one on the shotgun. That said, I still prefer the AR for defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links