Defensive Carry banner

Well ..... I was able to buy some ammo ....

4K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  bigbadsmiles 
#1 ·
Not particularly pleased about it but at least now I feel like I can shooting without depleting my stores.

Bought 500 rounds of Remington plain ole' .22LR. $80.00.
Bought 100 rounds of Federal FMJ, 230 grain .45 ACP, $58.00.

But ..... like I said. At least now I feel like I can go shooting.

#3 ·
I think the .45 is still a fair price, but that's seems a little high for 500 rounds of .22LR. I was buying bulk 550 round boxes in the $25.00 range.

#4 ·
If you paid 80.00 for 22 lr you are only fueling the highway robbery. Demand a fair price or walk away. No ammo is worth 80 bucks a box, especially not 22 lr. No one around here has ammo prices that high... the 45 wasnt overly terrible though. I just picked up 100 rnds of magtech .40 cal for 24 bucks a box

Reactions: Darrow75 and mano3
#5 ·
I just got back from Fleet Farm in Germantown, WI, near Milwaukee & there were some big empty gaps on the ammo shelves. A few boxes of .32 cal, .45 cal, .22 short & .22 bird shot. No .22lr, .357 (mag or Sig), .38, 9MM or .40 cal at all. Lots of shotgun shells of all sizes, a fairly good supply of common rifle calibers, a couple boxes of .223. I didn't really check any prices on those because I have no need for them. I was there about 3 weeks ago & picked up the last box of Winchester White Box .40 cal FMJ. Not my first choice but wanted some around for practice. Beggars can't be choosers.

#7 ·
Damn.... no way I would ever pay 80 bucks for 500rds of 22LR... especially Remington!

#15 ·
Wow! How times have changed! I just set up my "reloading" room in my basement and "found" over a thousand rounds of assorted .22LR match ammo that I use to use shooting metallic silhouette--RWS, Ely, Federal, Winchester, and Remington. I use to buy RWS and Ely for about $22 a brick! And that was match ammo! No way would I pay $80! I'll wait till prices come down to "reasonable" levels.:rolleyes:

Reactions: icemanls2
#17 ·
Found some .22MAG locally for $9.90/box of 50 rounds. Picked up a few boxes. Then I ran across some.40 S&W....$16.98/box of 50 rounds 165grain. Not too bad, of course I drove about 90 miles for the .22MAG ammo.....easily done since I had to drive there anyway for work.

#18 ·
I actually found some Independance 5.56 45 grain yesterday. Picked up 7 boxes. Paid a little more than I should have at $10.95 a box but at least it wasn't an outrageous price. At least now I can go shooting this weekend for my birthday without cutting into my meager ammo stash.

#22 ·
Well I certainly overpaid, and know I did, but it was the first .22LR I'd seen in a very long time. I made up my mind that I was not going shooting again until I could replace what I may shoot, and my finger was getting itchy -- I need some range time.

There's a site, I forget the name, that lists current ammo prices and locations, but maybe we need to figure out a better way to help each other out in finding and buying ammo. I could sure use the help.

#25 ·
I stopped at 3 stores while I was driving around wed evening and the one place that had any .22 was 10.97 per 100 (Wait for it) for .22 shorts cause that's all that was left. I kept walking. Was able to pick up 2 boxes of 50 Blazer(brass case) .45 ACP for 27.99 a box which isn't too bad for that.

#26 ·
I paid 15.99 for 100 rounds of CCI 22LR's. Had no choice as everywhere is sold out in my area.

Reactions: bigmacque
#33 ·
That's because many of us had the same idea recently and did not have a need for it before. In my case, it took a loooooong time to get a permit to buy anything (here in the republic of Jersey). The detective who controls the permit process in my town said his application load is 10x what it used to be. So everyone is running around clearing the shelves because they are mostly new owners who didn't have the ability to slowly stock up in the past.
In NJ, you can't buy ammo of any kind without a permit - interviews, references, full fingerprinting, state police background check, etc. And then after all that is done, you wait until they feel like letting you have the license.
And this is just for a purchase permit to bring things home, not concealed carry permit.

I'm guessing Texas has far less regulation.

Given what we go through - pinned stocks on rifles (simply stupid), 10 round mag limits for rifles or 15 for handguns (huh?), full registration and NICS verification on every purchase, we already have what the politicians are proposing.

#31 ·
ouch, I am sure glad I picked up a thousand rounds of 22LR just after christmas seem like the price has quadrupled.

I guess I have to consider myself lucky though.. the Indoor pistol range I use manages to get enough ammo in on a regular basis that they have ammo for my 9mm if I use the range. so an hour for the two of us and 100 rounds of 9mm usually runs about $50 and we are allowed to rapid fire there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.