Cetme with problematic light strike

This is a discussion on Cetme with problematic light strike within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My brother and I purchased a couple Cetme 308 surplus rifles a while back and he finally took his out to shoot it the other ...

Thread: Cetme with problematic light strike

Cetme with problematic light strike

My brother and I purchased a couple Cetme 308 surplus rifles a while back and he finally took his out to shoot it the other day. It would shoot the first round fine and eject and reload the next but then would only deliver a light strike on that cartridge and not fire it. Manual ejection and it would repeat the problem, round would go off and eject and reload but next pull of the trigger would again result with just a click... light strike. Anybody have any experience with this rifle?

2. Remove Ads

Did you clean them before shooting them?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Disassemble and, clean and oil appropriately. It sounds like some gummed up grease or "gunk" has built up. Especially if it is surplus and stored for a long time.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

The gun had been thoroughly disassembled, clean oiled and greased the "rollers". It's really an odd deal as it always fires when you manually charge the action but after it fires and ejects the spent casing and loads the next round a pull of the trigger results in the light strike, the primer is dented but not enough to cause detonation. I have examined the entire bolt carrier and firing pin assembly and can not see anything that looks as though it is worn or any reason for the malfunction. I have yet to fire mine but have been contemplating doing so and if it operates correctly I might switch out bolt carriers and see if the problem still exists. We did notice one of the rollers appears to have some flat spots on it indicating it is sliding in the assembly as opposed to rolling as it was intended, perhaps this is indicative of the cause. I was just hoping someone familiar with this particular weapon had some experience with a "glitch" such as this. Thanks for your response, I'll post more as we continue to work with it.

The flattened roller you describe is common to the CETME, and is caused by installing the bolt assembly with the bolt head at an incorrect angle, or by ill-fitting receiver grooves. I polish the inside grooves of my G3 pattern rifles, and it seems to really help. Also check to see if there is anything causing the bolt to not go fully into battery. I've even seen burrs on the operating handle slot that can cause the bolt assembly to hang up. The other thing I would check is the hammer. Pull the trigger group out, and take a close look at the hammer and spring. I once had a CETME do exactly what you're describing, only to find out that the hammer was actually cracked (it eventually broke off!). Another thing to check on CETMEs is the magazine fit. Often, the front of the magazine port will get pushed out due to ramming magazines in, and need to be peened back into shape so the magazine seats tightly in the gun. Good luck, and enjoy your CETMEs! I no longer have one myself, but I do have a PTR 91F that will shoot MOA at 200 yards all day long!
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Thanks for the advice Ray, how did you polish the groves? I have a flex shaft with rubber wheel discs that I was thinking to use, maybe a little lapping paste?

Cyberbach,
    You could do it that way, but I used 1500 grit sandpaper by hand or wrapped around a dowel rod. Old-school, but it works.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Links