Help me to improve!

This is a discussion on Help me to improve! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've shot shotguns and rifles my whole life and I'm a pretty good shot but never got into handguns....until now that is. I've picked up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help me to improve!

Help me to improve!

I've shot shotguns and rifles my whole life and I'm a pretty good shot but never got into handguns....until now that is. I've picked up my first handgun, a Ruger SR40C, and have had a much harder time shooting straight than I thought I would! I've taken my conceal carry class and have sent my paperwork off so while I wait I'm sending as many rounds down range as I can. When I first started my groupings couldn't even be called groupings if you know what I mean with most of the shots going WAY low and some left. My instructor is the local police handgun instructor also so he showed me a few things and helped me get the proper grip...got to start with the basics for sure! I'm getting better but still not anywhere NEAR where I want to be. Here is where I'm at now and my last 15 shots of the day.

shots 1-5

and shots 6-15

I've sat around for hours doing dry fire drills whenever I get a chance. Sometimes I'm steady as can be and others I can JUST pick up a slight dip in the front sights...it's getting better though.

Anyways, looking at these groupings, what suggestions can you give me to look at or watch for my next trip out?
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    You didn't mention what the range to target was. But if you were at 10 yards or so, you got center mass, nuff said. You also didn't mention the fire rate. If you're doing rapid fire I think you did very well. You also didn't mention how many rounds you fired...are they all in the paper or did some miss the target completely? I'm not sure how much better you need to be...but keep practicing to stay proficient.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Practice X infinity& forever

Yep, how far, and how fast are you shooting?

One thing you might invest in while you are doing your dry fire is a laserlyte.

It will let you know where your shot would have been when dry firing. Put a snap cap in, put the laserlyte in and practice all you want.
    jblives2ride likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    You didn't mention what the range to target was. But if you were at 10 yards or so, you got center mass, nuff said.yes, 10 yards You also didn't mention the fire rate. If you're doing rapid fire I think you did very well. Was not rapid fire, it was one at a time. That's why I'm concerned with it...if I aim every shot I should have a much better group in my opinion. You also didn't mention how many rounds you fired...are they all in the paper or did some miss the target completely?I fired about 50 rounds in all I just kept switching targets so I could get a clear picture of where I was shooting. I had 1 or 2 miss the paper early on and all the other groupings were larger than what you see here. These were the last 15 shots and I kept getting better with every target. I'm not sure how much better you need to be...but keep practicing to stay proficient.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I just picked up 300 more shells so much more practice is planned! I'll be happy with a rapid fire group like those above but I'm still working on single shots right now.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Lucky you for finding 300 rounds of .40 to buy today.
    KoriBustard likes this.

Sounds like you're on the right track but since you mentioned the front sight, let me just reinforce what you've already heard. The front sight is your friend. As important as all the other diagnostic stuff on your targets is, if your attention wavers from the front sight too much, none of it will matter. If you're looking for tack-driving accuracy that is. If your goal is self-defense, you are "on target" for Minute-of-"Threat which warrants the use of deadly force."

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Lucky you for finding 300 rounds of .40 to buy today.
    I swapped some 10/22 mags for 100 and picked up 200 Jacketed hollow points from a friend for $50 per 100. Not too bad of a deal with as hard as ammo is to find right now! He's got a few hundred more he wants to sell but I've got to save some more of my pennies first! lol

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    Sounds like you're on the right track but since you mentioned the front sight, let me just reinforce what you've already heard. The front sight is your friend. As important as all the other diagnostic stuff on your targets is, if your attention wavers from the front sight too much, none of it will matter. If you're looking for tack-driving accuracy that is. If your goal is self-defense, you are "on target" for Minute-of-"Threat which warrants the use of deadly force."

Sounds good. So seems like I'm not doing too bad and just need to keep practicing. Thanks! I'll try some rapid fire next time out just to see what happens.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    i second farronwolf suggestion
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    While I do practice target shooting (i.e., carefully aligning sights and aiming), most of my real practice is "point shooting." God forbid you need to use your weapon, the bad guy ain't going to stand still and wait for you to line up your sights.

Also, try aiming with both eyes open. You can do it. And if you practice enough, you can transition from "point shooting" to "aiming" with both eyes open. Won't be accurate as target shooting, but that is not what you are trying to achieve.

Finally, if you have more time than money (like most people), and you don't reload, consider buying semi-auto .22 pistol (like a Ruger MK III or something) to practice point shooting. It's not the same as your carry gun, but the skills transfer. And it doesn't take long to save money shooting .22's instead of .40's...

Good luck!
    blitzburgh likes this.

I've tried shooting with both eyes open and I seem to go crosseyed! I'm working on it though...I'm right handed left eye dominant also.

Would a .22 revolver be ok or do I need to go with a semi-auto to match what I've got? I could get an old .22 revelver that's been in the family pretty easy. I'll be on the lookout for a semi though. I'm sure you can believe this when I say you aren't the first to suggest this. On the flip side, have you tried to find .22 ammo lately! LOL

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    To the OP. You also didn't mention what firearm you were using. I strongly recommend as a training method to load spent rounds in a revolver. Assuming a 6 shot revolver load 4 live rounds and 2 spent rounds in the wheel (randomly, or have someone else do it) and give the cylinder a spin (or have a friend do it). Then fire off each round purposefully and and have the friend observe any flinch or muzzle lift/dip that occurs between rounds. If you lift/dip on a dead round, you're anticipating recoil which is bad. A very good practice. You can do that with a semi-auto too by having someone load the magazine and put a "dud" round in somewhere in the mag. Strongly recommended since recoil anticipation is the number one cause of inaccuracy.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeChris View Post
    Sounds good. So seems like I'm not doing too bad and just need to keep practicing. Thanks! I'll try some rapid fire next time out just to see what happens.
    Actually, don't. If you feel you must shoot "rapid fire," then make it a controlled pair (that's not a double tap, it's two shots in rapid succession with a sight picture on each shot). Given the current ammo scarcity, just shooting quickly to see what will happen strikes me as a waste of ammo and range time.

Given your newness to handgunning, I recommend the opposite approach - slow it down. Limit your practice sessions to 50 rounds (I used to say 100 when ammo was readily available) and make every shot a deliberate shot. Before you head to the range, figure out in advance what you're going to work on this session. Got 10-round mags? Great - load 'em with 5, or 3, and practice changing mags without looking. Get used to running the gun so you don't have to think about it.

Just as in other sports like bowling, golf and archer, consistency in what you do is an important component of building your skill. Make sure you grip the gun the same way for every shot. Doesn't have to be the "right" way for now, just consistent from shot to shot. If you see your fingers turning white from a death grip on the gun on one string but the gun is jumping around in your hand on the next string, well that's not what you want.

Work on drills at a distance where you can place your shots where you need to, then move the target out and work to keep your groups small enough. Although there is no substitute for live-fire practice, it's not the sheer number of rounds you send downrange, it's what you do to launch them properly that will improve your skill.

Good luck!
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Gun is an SR40C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links