Gun Owner Unfriendly Businesses

This is a discussion on Gun Owner Unfriendly Businesses within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SixBravo Two reasons for not going to a Cardinals game: Anti-Carry and they couldn't beat anyone if they even tried. Who loses ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Owner Unfriendly Businesses

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Two reasons for not going to a Cardinals game: Anti-Carry and they couldn't beat anyone if they even tried. Who loses a game when they go into the 2nd half up by 23 points and the other team has nothing? Oh yeah - the Cardinals.

Why you think they left St. Louis. Because they couldn't get enough people to the stadium to pay the salary of the players. They crabed about the stadium was too small but thy couldn't put enough people in a small stadium.

2. Remove Ads

Add three more companies to the list of anti-gun ones (all are related): Value City, American Signature, and Schottenstein's Stores.

I was in a VCF store recently and saw a no-concealed weapons sign. I emailed the company and received the following response:

Date: 2006/11/09 Thu AM 0930 EST
    To: Redacted for privacy
    Subject: Concealed Weapons

Thank you for taking the time to contact our corporate office in writing.

The concealed weapons policy has been put in place for all of our corporate stores and was implemented for the protection of our customers and our business. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for your inquiry.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply to this message.

We only have Value City Furniture around here, but you guys may have the American Signature and Schottensteins near you.

I've wondered for the longest time as to why businesses post "No Firearms" signs, in a belief it'll shield them from gun violence. I've came to the realization that the entities in charge of these businesses have absolutely no idea what initiates violence. Many of them post signs in a vain attempt to deter people from carrying guns and being violent. Therefore, they are under the impression that guns (an object) are responsible for currupting the moral fiber of men and make them into killers. We all know this isn't the case, but remember, we are the minority. According to the sheeple (that may never have touched a gun in their entire lives), guns are tools criminals use. A normal person does not need to carry a gun for protection. That is why we have the police. The only people other than criminals that carry guns are untrained Rambo wanna-be's, and they are the cause of gun accidents (untrained being anyone other than LEO's and military). If you can believe it, I've actually had this SAME ARGUEMENT with my own father :(
    AMC could be under the guns = crime impression, or they simply want to appear to the general public that they are doing something to prevent violance within their establishments, and using a no guns policy as a sacrificial lamb, since there are more people that don't carry firearms than there are people that do.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    in Florida...and I've not ever seen a sign in the last six years since moving here...lived in Naples, Inverness, and now...Gainesville.
    Concealed means concealed anyway...

Florida is a great place...

ret
    Come to think of it, since VA doesn't have a mandated sign, I never see any gunbusters signs either....
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

What sign?

I didn't see no freakin sign? I don't look for them. I would certainly respect the owner if he asked me to leave but certainly I am not "required" to read signs to enter an establishment. They are never "clearly" posted and Virginia law states that I must leave if asked, which I will gladly do placing any merchandise immediatly on the floor and walking out never to return.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

What sign?

I didn't see no freakin sign? I don't look for them. I would certainly respect the owner if he asked me to leave but certainly I am not "required" to read signs to enter an establishment. They are never "clearly" posted and Virginia law states that I must leave if asked, which I will gladly do placing any merchandise immediately on the floor and walking out never to return.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    in Florida...and I've not ever seen a sign in the last six years since moving here...lived in Naples, Inverness, and now...Gainesville.
    Concealed means concealed anyway...

Florida is a great place...

ret
    Jared, the jewelry store, has signage on their stores here in Central Florida proclaiming that you cannot carry a firearm into the store or in the parking lot or on the grounds around the store.

Both the stores near me are located in malls with common parking lots. I got a nice chuckle as I walked by.

Heck, the first time I was ever in one of their stores, I did not see the sign and was carrying.

If I ever feel a need to go back to one, I'll still be carrying.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Assistant Administrator
    implemented for the protection of our customers and our business.
    This is the favorite lame and usual ''excuse''. What a joke, and a nice bonus for the bad guys.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmmm... I was not aware that my Guns were "anti-Family". I will have a talk with them about that. Thanks for warning me....

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    I would certainly respect the owner if he asked me to leave but certainly I am not "required" to read signs to enter an establishment.
    Maybe not in Virginia, but in a lot of states you ARE, in fact, required to obey any clearly posted signs. The argument that you just didn't see it may very well not fly. If you end up in court, and the judge or jury decides that the sign was posted clearly enough that you SHOULD have seen it then you may very well end up losing your CCW, and possibly spending time in jail. Besides that, the judge and jury will most likely conclude that, since you were carrying a firearm, you have a GREATER obligation than the common citizen to look for and notice such signage.

I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong. I don't know the laws in your state. I do know the laws in my state. My personal decision is that it is much safer and easier to simply avoid businesses that are posted than it is to violate the law and hope that I don't get caught.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The no firearms signs can't really be an attempt to reduce gun violence. They are efforts at "risk reduction", i.e., sue-proofing.

The people behind them think that NOT having such a sign means they are saying it's A-OK to bring guns into their businesses. That, to their weak minds, makes them believe they are signing on for some liability (i.e., parting with some of their precious freaking money) in case of a shootout or A.D. that hits someone.

That really is it. They don't want some Plaintiff's lawyer asking one of their store managers or corporate people, in a deposition (or on the stand in a trial), why there weren't some "No Guns Allowed" signs posted.

The followup question for an unprepared person in that instance is "So, it's OK with you that people bring their guns into your stores and have (shootouts, hitting bystanders) or (have A.D.'s, hitting people nearby) or (try, ineffectually, to stop robbers, hitting bystanders).

And, unless the person being asked the question is well-prepared, or a shooter, is always going to be some stuttering, becuase he knows his answer can be made to seem inconsistent with his previous answer.

Only gun people being in charge of such retail outlets can prevent such things from continuing.

The answer to the whole line of questioning is "Yer durn tootin' it's OK for legally authorized people to bring their weapons into my business. I don't want the liability that comes with preventing people from protecting themselves."

You see, you can get stuck the other way, too. If you strip people from their ability to protect themselves, YOU assume the responsibility for protecting them....

Thank God I live in Okie-Homa, where we can ignore such stupid freaking signs....

Your correct...

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Maybe not in Virginia, but in a lot of states you ARE, in fact, required to obey any clearly posted signs. The argument that you just didn't see it may very well not fly.

Denved0n, your arguments can certainly be used in Virginia, I am sure they are used all the time. However, Virginia law states that this type of offense can only be treated as trespassing, not a firearms violation. The trespassing code in states there are four ways to be notified you are not welcome. By oral request by a person in authority, by written request by a person in authority, by a posted sign in an area where it may reasonably be seen, by court order pursuant to specific code sections.

"Reasonably be seen is something that will have to be argued." I have also found some precedent in similiar sign notification issues in regards to having to notify the accused trasspasser. I'll see if I can find that again, it made me fairly confident I was safe until verbally notified. But remember IANAL...
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Matt...

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Jared, the jewelry store, has signage on their stores here in Central Florida proclaiming that you cannot carry a firearm into the store or in the parking lot or on the grounds around the store.

Both the stores near me are located in malls with common parking lots. I got a nice chuckle as I walked by.

Heck, the first time I was ever in one of their stores, I did not see the sign and was carrying.

If I ever feel a need to go back to one, I'll still be carrying.

Matt
    Just where is that store?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    There are two near me - one on 436 in Altamonte Springs, and one on Red Bug Lake Road at 417.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Cards or leaflets?

Does anyone have a copy of that card or leaflet? Went something like "We will respect your wishes and spend our money at the competition". I live near two theaters that post (meaningless signs in FL). I go out of my way to a nice theater that doesn't post. If I'm not going to spend money at a place because they post, I usually send them a copy of my receipt from the competition along with a note explaining why I don't shop there. May never change their minds, but I try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links