Would you do this?

This is a discussion on Would you do this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Send a S&W 629 3in barrel to magna-port for porting and recessing the barrel crown?...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 3 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Would you do this?

Would you do this?

Send a S&W 629 3in barrel to magna-port for porting and recessing the barrel crown?

2. Remove Ads

Nope. It can be more difficult to resell a ported gun if it ever comes to that. Also, you need to consider your uses for this gun r/t to the increased noise and flash.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    Nope. It can be more difficult to resell a ported gun if it ever comes to that. Also, you need to consider your uses for this gun r/t to the increased noise and flash.
    I agree. I don't think you'll see any noticeable difference for the money you would spend.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

I don't sell guns anymore, so resale doesn't matter to me.

If I had reason to believe magna porting my pistol would make it easier for me to shoot, or just more pleasurable, I'd do it in a second. A buddy of mine has the Ruger Alaskan I think it is, with a 2.5" barrel in .44 Magnum. This gun's ported, and I think it helps bring the pistol back to the target for the second shot. Might be in my head, but I believe it to be so. Yeah, it's louder too, but I wear ear pro so that doesn't bother me.

Hell, it's only money, our medium of exchange. Could be rocks. Go for it.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

...rather than Magnaporting it, I'd shoot .44 Special loads in it...best of both worlds...easy on your end...rough on the recipient's...

I ve had three guns sent to gemini Sp101 a S&W mod 60 S&W 642 I can sell all three the day I put them online for twice what I have in them. The porting on the Mod 60 keeps me on target when using 357 the airweight with porting is a dream to shoot 38sp in not only do the actions alone make it worth it they look dam cool,

No. You get so much flash from the cylinder to forcing cone gap in a revolver it's about like being ported anyway.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Snub44, what brand and weight do you use? I imagine 44 special can be hard to find right now.

VIP Member
    NO---

Here's why. They do a fantastic job and can't be faulted, but once you do that to a handgun you
    destroy some of your ability to shoot it from certain fighting positions which could impede its use, or actually hurt you,
    if you ever needed to really use it for SD.

If it is just a range gun, well, the effect will be noticeable but of little importance.

Getting a port done isn't cheap. I think I paid 150 bucks 8-9 years ago. So if your reason for doing it is
    perceived recoil, you might be better off selling what you have, adding the money you will pay for porting,
    and buying something which you are better able to handle.

A lot of folks will use the "flash" argument to dissuade you from porting, but that is almost the least of it.
    I don't notice it at the range which is somewhat darkened except for the targets, and I keep lights on
    in the house at night which I think are bright enough that the flash won't be noticed or interfere.

The big problem is if you have to "shoot from the hip" and gas flies up into your face, or into an arm
    being used to block a rush against you.

That said, my ported pistol is still what is next to the bed.

If you really want to keep that revolver but recoil is an issue for you, look for low recoil loads. In up close
    and personal defense, the different ballistics probably won't make a real difference. (My opinion only.)
    Diddle likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Why make a great SD gun that you can shoot from retention (like you might have to in a Wally World parking lot), into a gun that will give you a tan if you do shoot from retention.
    I see absolutely NO REASON to do so, unless you just have a bunch of guns and you like the novelty.
    Hopyard, BugDude and Diddle like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

After all the input, no porting will be done. I will try 44 special instead. Any recommendations?

historically, there hasn't been much good SD ammo in .44SPL.

see what DoubleTap is offering. or perhaps CorBon. the best of the older stuff seems to be the Winchester Silvertip.

p.s.: if your main purpose with this gun is self-defense, then i think you're smart NOT to port it.

...CCI Blazer aluminum cased uses Gold Dots...200 gr...it's a bit better'n Silvertips...not too hot or expensive...Academy's where I find it...other more powerful loads include DPX, Corbon...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....l-hollow-point

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    historically, there hasn't been much good SD ammo in .44SPL.

see what DoubleTap is offering. or perhaps CorBon. the best of the older stuff seems to be the Winchester Silvertip.

p.s.: if your main purpose with this gun is self-defense, then i think you're smart NOT to port it.

From another point of view, it could be said that there is really no especially bad .44 Special self-defense ammunition.

I wouldn't feel at all inadequately armed if I kept my .44 Special revolver loaded from a box of plain ol' Winchester Western 246 grain round nose lead ammunition. It's still big bore ammo, throwing heavy lead, and with fine penetration.

245-250 grain lead semi-wadcutter handloads are most often used around here but, beside the 246 grain round nose factory loads, there's a box or two of Federal 200 grain lead SWC hollow points. These give nice velocity and perhaps enhanced expansion though I've not tested them for expansion. Chronograph tests of this Federal load showed a muzzle velocity of 851 fps from a 5-inch barrel. The Federal 200 grain load had a bit of a following among .44 Special enthusiasts a few years back.

I also don't care for porting. I don't want stuff coming out of handguns in any more locations than the muzzle unless it's the barrel/cylinder gap in the case of the revolver.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't know if you load your own, But .44 mag is one of the most versatile rounds out there. You don't have to shoot the barnburner rounds all the time, you know. Pick a load that comes out at around 1000-1050 fps with a decent 240 grain pill. That will more than be sufficient.
    NRA Life Member

Links