New Taurus revolver

This is a discussion on New Taurus revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a Taurus Poly Pro in 357 mag the other day at my lgs. It fit my hand like a glove. I've been looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Taurus revolver

Distinguished Member

New Taurus revolver

I saw a Taurus Poly Pro in 357 mag the other day at my lgs. It fit my hand like a glove. I've been looking for a snubnose and this one seemed like it might work out. I only have one Taurus revolver and that's an old model 82 that must be 30 years old and it still shoot like a dream. I've been trying to find something out about this new polymer gun and it's not going too well. The reviews on this thing are all over the place, from "I wouldn't touch a Taurus with a 10 foot poll" to "I love it". Somewhere between the bottom and top must be some honest, hands on experiences with this gun. I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks for your time

2. Remove Ads

It's nice to see that Taurus's business model of ripping off other people's designs and selling them as their own has continued into the 21st century.

A polymer gun like this in .357 kicks like a mule, only harder. While fine for one shot self defense, it is not a gun that anyone will want to practice with on a regular basis, which is critical for a EDC gun. Personally, if I was going to buy a weapon like this, I would get it from Ruger, the people that spent the money on design and engineering, rather than the guys that stole it from them.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Who did Taurus "steal"the design from, Ruger? Seems the LCP is a almost direct copy of another's works too. If something is selling , it makes sense other companies will try to make their own version. Look at all the poly pistols and 1911 clones on the market.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am a snubbie junkie, If budget is a concern you can get a good deal on a S&W 642 I use it for pocket carry great gun, MY everyday carry is either a SP101 2.4 with 38+ps or a S&W Mod 60 ported with 357 good leather is worth the money I use a Milt Sparks summer special for both or a remora for driving use speed strips an only reload from them at the range for practice

Senior Moderator
    I personally don't like poly frame revolvers and believe that it would be too light weight for .357's
    WHEC724 and MrsHB like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Haters gonna hate.

If it works for you, then great!

Bought my wife the Taurus poly pro 357, she is 5' 1" 135 lbs & has no problem w/ the kick - she loves shooting it! With that gun, one shot anywhere upper body mass w/ a 158 grain hollow point should end the discussion . . . .

Mess with the bull enough and eventually you'll get the horns.
    WHEC724 and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I can't imagine loving to shoot a .357 lightweight revolver because of the kick, but my mom has a little .38 rossi (made by Taurus) my dad bought her years ago and she still loves and carries it.

VIP Member
    I got no problem with Taurus but in poly?????
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I am in the avoid at all costs camp. I bought a 605 .357 mag snubbie in 2007. Out of the box it had a major issue with the cylinder not rotating in a perfect circle, allowing the cartridge faces to catch on the frame of the gun as the cylinder turned. 3 shots was all I could get before it locked up. The LGS offered to send it to taurus for me but would not take the gun back or offer me refund of any kind. Tuarus said they repaired it, and when got it back, it still had the same problem. Sent it back again.... same thing. I sold it as is with full disclosure for $100 bucks, took the loss and said never again. Spend the money on a used SW or a ruger sp101 and never look back. You will thank yourself in the long run.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    I finally shot my new Taurus poly pro a couple of days ago. Here are my thoughts on my new gun. It isn't that light weight, it feels good and comfortable in the hand. I am using the longer grips that come with the revolver. The recoil is noticeable, but not unpleasant. I shot 75 rounds on the first outing and by the end of the session, I had reduced an 8" group at 25 feet to 3 - 4" groups. Overall, I am very pleased with my new purchase. My groups improved when I started shooting the gun double action. That surprised me. The trigger is smooth and predictable. I'm not going to say I love the gun after only a box and a half of ammo, but I do like it. I'll see how it is doing after another few months. Right now, I feel pretty good about it.

I've had close association with someone who has purchased Taurus revolvers. Observation can be instructive and aggravation has been successfully avoided here.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I got no problem with Taurus but in poly?????
    Makes a nice weight for carry and packs a punch

Distinguished Member

2nd trip to the range with my new Taurus

This is the result of my second outing to the range with my new Taurus Poly Pro. This target was shot at 21' and shows the results of SA/DA shooting. The targe is a standard NRA 50ft slow fire with a 7 1/4" diameter. I'm pleased with my new Taurus.
    Attached Images
    PEF likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links