My dilemma...

This is a discussion on My dilemma... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife just picked up a new Glock 19 for concealed carry (we're both new, ~6 months, to firearms and CCW), we took it to ...

Thread: My dilemma...

My dilemma...

My wife just picked up a new Glock 19 for concealed carry (we're both new, ~6 months, to firearms and CCW), we took it to the range, and well...

I want one!

I have a .40 SIG 229, but I shot the 19 better I believe. While I didn't really look at groupings closely (busy day at an outdoor range), I felt I had better control. I am new to shooting, so I imagine I'll handle the .40 with no problems with more practice, but man that gun was fun to shoot! I'm thinking it would be nice to carry the 19 instead of my 229, just for the weight savings alone. The fully loaded 19 came out around half a pound lighter! Plus the 9mm is definitely cheaper to shoot.

I guess what everyone keeps saying is true...

Once you buy one gun, you'll want more!

[edit]
    Oh, let me add...it's not really a dilemma of course. After reading around here, I'm not getting rid of my SIG, just may add a buddy. Although if you do have any input on the Glock 19 for carry vs. the 229, comment away.

2. Remove Ads

yes you cant have just one gun dont buy a 1911 you will really be in trouble them

Assistant Administrator
    I'm not getting rid of my SIG,
    Phew - relieved to hear that!!!

I own no Glocks but have shot 17's and 19's and they are easy to master and serve well for carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Before making any decisions you should compare apples to apples. Either try a P229 in 9mm or a Glock 23 which is in .40 S&W. I find that the .40 has a recoil that I do not like. I prefer both of my SIGs P239s in 9mm and .357SIG to any .40. My S&W 1066 in 10mm does not have the same kind of recoil that the .40s have either. That's just me, but what you are perceiving may not be a difference in the guns as much as a difference in the round.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    My S&W 1066 in 10mm does not have the same kind of recoil that the .40s have either. That's just me, but what you are perceiving may not be a difference in the guns as much as a difference in the round.
    The .40 has a sharp recoil bite in comparison to the .45 and 10mm. I know this to be true.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I shoot the .40 P229 fine, I just felt the 9mm was a bit more controlled. I agree with comparing the same guns in different calibers, but my main thought is that the Glock is significantly lighter and will be more pleasant to carry.

The midsize Glocks are a great platform I carry a 23 on duty and a 19 when I'm off.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    The midsize Glocks are a great platform I carry a 23 on duty and a 19 when I'm off.
    Not to hijack, but I'm wondering why you do this... Why not just carry one off and on since they are the same size and pretty darn close in weight?

A 19 or 23 is a great gun.

Congrats...

on several points...

Don't sell one nice gun to buy another (if at all possible)...just add to your new collection!

Nice work having your 'better half' join you in shooting and enjoying guns...many guys can't say this!

Having both of you with CCW permits is outstanding...this is even more rare...many are still working on this one too!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not to hijack, but I'm wondering why you do this... Why not just carry one off and on since they are the same size and pretty darn close in weight?

A 19 or 23 is a great gun.
    I don't carry the 23 when I'm off because the it's issued and we're not allowed to carry/use any company equipment off-duty. I don't carry the 19 while I'm working (I could) because if I had to shoot someone and the police decided to take the weapon while the investigation was being conducted, I'd rather it be the issued weapon, not my personal one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Go and buy one...Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Go and buy one...Problem solved.
    You're right, and I plan to if I'm going to carry it, otherwise I can just use my wife's at the range when we go together.

I may just get a holster for her Glock and tote it around a few days to see if the weight difference really makes much of a difference in comfort for me. That should determine if I need to add one to my collection or just shoot her's from time to time.

Having traded and sold many guns I wish I had kept, I agree that if you can, keep the Sig and add the G19. You can always use the Sig for home defense or at the range for fun. You may even find yourself favoring the Sig again sometime in the future. I must admit I have at times re-bought the same make and model twice. It is great that your wife shoots also!

I regret every gun I've ever sold, or traded. Definately keep the Sig. BUT Glocks rule. You'll definately find yourself buying more.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Links