Glock 26 or M&P Shield??

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or M&P Shield?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a Glock 17, and expecting my CCW in the mail in a few weeks. Now I'm looking for an EDC and it's basically ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or M&P Shield??

Glock 26 or M&P Shield??

I own a Glock 17, and expecting my CCW in the mail in a few weeks. Now I'm looking for an EDC and it's basically come down to the Glock 26 or the M&P Shield. I've heard great things about both, but I wanted your opinions. As far as for EDC, they both seem to be great choices. The M&P is a little slimmer, but the Glock 26 is a bit shorter. Capacity is fairly close with the 26 carrying 2 more rounds.

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

Since you have a Glock 17, I would go with the Glock 26. You can use the Glock 17 magazines with the Glock 26 if the need arose. Just my .02 cents.

As much as I like my Shield, I'd have to agree with Hoplyte. The convenience of sharing mags has it's advantages.

One caveat is, make sure you like holding the 26....being a Glock owner you probably will but always make sure.

My Shield arrives on Tuesday, but I would agree with Hoplyte. If you are already committed to the Glock platform I would choose the G26. However, if you are like me and you like the G17 but the baby Glocks just don't fit your hand, the Shield is a great option.

Just an opinion, but I'll take a Glock over a Smith autoloader every time, regardless of size or caliber.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Re: Glock 26 or M&P Shield??

I feel like a more fair comparison would be between the G26 and the M&P 9c. If you are fine with sacrificing a few rounds for a slimmer, more comfortable gun, then get the Shield.

I have both a G27 and Walther PPS and while the G27 is easy to carry, the slimmer PPS makes carrying much more comfortable and I only have to sacrifice a few rounds.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
    vice87 likes this.

As far as conceal carrying everyday do you guys notice a big difference between difficulty in concealing one over the other? Which holsters do you use for them?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

OK
    Let us reflect on the differences between an Glock 9mm G26 & an S&W M&P-9mm Shield for a moment ... EH

G26 is a little heaver

Shield is a little lighter

Shield single stack holds less boo lets < a standard 7-r or 8-r mag

G26 double stack holds more boo lets < from the standard 10-r mag up into 33-r

G26 slide is a little slightly longer < maybe .5"

Shield's grip-handle a little slightly higher < maybe .5"

G26 double-stack's handle and slid is slightly wider so it may be a little harder for some carriers to CCW

Shield's single-stack's handle and slid is slightly thinner so it may be a little easier for some carriers to CCW

Shield's single-stack handle is less beefy so it may be easier to grip < but it is a single-stack so it holds less boo lets>

G26 double-stack handle-grip is beefy-er so it feels thicker and may feel harder to grip but you will get used to it < but it is a double-stack so holds more boo lets

G26 has no manual thumb safety

Shield has a right-side thumb safety

Shield has a right-side mag releae

G26 gen-4 has an ambidextrous mag release

OK could be my eye sight < the G26 front dot-sight is easier to see

OK could be my eye sight < the Shield's rear two-dot sight is easier to see

Shield's rear sight is adjustable and easier to replace

G26 rear sight is a pain in the ars to replace & is not adjustable

G26 has a plethora of accessory readily available and reasonably priced

Shield have very few accessory < as of yet

G26 cost about $550. and easy to find / make that easier to find

Shield is very difficult to find and is $450. and up

G26 is very proven to be very reliable

Shield is some-what new but seems to also be very reliable

G26 & Shield are both striker fire handguns

So in closing:
    I've had um both side-by-side and as I listed above; the difference is soooooooooooo slight I'd have a hard time picking one over the other. But then that's me. You have to desire what you really feel most comfortable CCW~ing on your person.

The G26 is easier to find is slightly heaver slightly longer slight shorter in height has more accessories and is a~boot $100. more

The Shield is harder to find slightly lighter slightly shorter slightly higher in height has less accessories and is a~boot $100. less

It's kind of a ...... draw through my examination. I could go with either one

So unless you can be successful enough to place ah G26 & ah Shield side-by-side to help compare what you like and do not like best, as in too; what you can, will, and want to live with. You may even end-up feeling like me that it is some-what of a tossup. Or just simply chose the one you happen to find to be able to buy first and just do get it. I'm most positive you will be happy with either one you get.

Or simplest solution is: "Get um both!!" and just rotate their CCW on a daily basses.

That's my refection and I'm sticking to it .... TYMMOMNV

Shield.......
    MJClark likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

If you shoot a 17, go with the same trigger and get the 26. It is a little fatter but not much. Go with what you know and it becomes second nature when you need it.

I wish I could find a M&P Shield....
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Like any tool, each has its time and place. If you end up like me, get both. I switch between a Nano when I need something small and slim and use the G27 when I can support something bigger. G27 is my first choice, but I go to the Nano if it doesn't fit what I am wearing.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If it were me and that is the only way I can answer your question, I would go with the G26.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I have a Shield and had a M&P compact. I do not have any Glocks and do not foresee me buying one. With that said, as some have stated, with the G26 you will be able to use the larger mag. The trigger action will be easy to adjust to if needed. If I owned a glock I would go with the 26.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Just an opinion, but I'll take a Glock over a Smith autoloader every time, regardless of size or caliber.

^Dem there is fightin' words pardner!^^^^^^^^^

I am a S&W M&P dyed in the wool, and I would rather have the G26 than the shield.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links