Ammo pricing and availability

This is a discussion on Ammo pricing and availability within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Getting pretty grim here in NE Florida. Went to a LGS and the display cases were looking lean. Very little ammo on the shelves. Got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ammo pricing and availability

Getting pretty grim here in NE Florida. Went to a LGS and the display cases were looking lean. Very little ammo on the shelves. Got a box of 50 .357 and 50 .38 special both FMJ - $92. No 9mm in stock.

It's difficult to practice when range ammo is this expensive and hard to find. The usual online sources are mostly out of stock.

Thankfully, I have a good supply of all calibers on hand, but my policy is to buy more than I shoot so I'm always accruing. Hoping that this mania calms down soon.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

You can check if the manufacturer of the gun you use mostly has a 22 about the same size and weight. My primary weapon is a Bersa Thunder 380 and the Bersa Thunder 22LR looks and feels the same as the BT380. The recoil is not the same but I can fire my BT22LR all day cheaper than the cost of one box of 380 bullets. I get the practice and the enjoyment of shooting with my BT22LR at a lower cost. Now the new gun will cost you if you can find a 22 that works for you but in the long run it may be cheaper. Hopefully you can.
    shockwave likes this.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Trip in to town today. Plenty or 38's,45's some 40's. Some 380's Rifle not much left some 30.06 some 39X54
    No a 9mm , 5.56 or 223 to be had at any of the stops.
    The one place that sells a lot of weapons for the first time had only a few in the handgun case. Only a few basic shot guns and bolt action rifles.
    Durhams had the same old over price stuff that has been sitting in the case all year . They did not have ammo when times were good.
    shockwave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    You can check if the manufacturer of the gun you use mostly has a 22 about the same size and weight.
    22LR is harder to find than anything else here.

And I shoot my 22s more than anything because is supposed to be cheap to train with and readily available!

Best place to buy ammo around here seems to be at the ranges, LGS is hit or miss, generally they have stuff coming in but they have a lot of demand. I suspect they are like us and are not really pushing high inventory due to the volatility of prices. I can say that here in N. Ga last week I found everything I was looking for except bulk 22lr. Prices were close to what I was paying 6 months ago for the product but the more expensive option was generally all that was available. My local gun range seemed to have plenty of stock including all of the usual range reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    22LR is harder to find than anything else here.

And I shoot my 22s more than anything because is supposed to be cheap to train with and readily available!
    Same here in Tennessee. .22LR non-existent in most stores. Those that have it demand prices that are on par with .38 spl or .40sw. 9mm also not to be found in most places, and it's more expensive than any handgun round. Really don't have a rationale for 9mm and 22lr shortages, in that they're not what feds are buying and most LE agencies aren't burning 9mm anymore. Anybody have an explanation?

Can't find any 9mm in my part of the world but I'm having luck with 38sp so I've been carrying and practicing with it. I shoot shotgun games and reload these in 20 and 12 but I do see these in stores in target and hunting loads. I miss my 9mm

Update: Sourced 350 rounds of 9mm FMJ through Gunbroker for $180, which I can live with, and several boxes of #1 Buck through Cabelas. That's enough to get me back on the range.

The failure of "Son of Assault Weapons Ban" makes it increasingly likely that AR-15s and high-capacity magazines will remain legal and the only likely legislation we'll see will involve tighter background checks, which I support. The fewer loonies and felons who can obtain arms the less chance of another tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Update: Sourced 350 rounds of 9mm FMJ through Gunbroker for $180, which I can live with, and several boxes of #1 Buck through Cabelas. That's enough to get me back on the range.

The failure of "Son of Assault Weapons Ban" makes it increasingly likely that AR-15s and high-capacity magazines will remain legal and the only likely legislation we'll see will involve tighter background checks, which I support. The fewer loonies and felons who can obtain arms the less chance of another tragedy.
    That $0.51 per shot and twice what wwb cost at Wally 8 months ago ($23.95 plus tax for 9mm/115gr/100 rnd fmj). I simply refuse to pay it. I've stopped shooting for now. In January I bought 1,000 rounds for $325 and thought that was high but I rationalized it as much higher quality ammo.

People were paying $120 for 525 rnd 22lr bulk ammo at a local flea market a few days ago that used to sell at Wally for $18.95. IMHO they were idiots. WE are our own worst enemy. If we'd stop paying inflated prices, this price bubble would quickly burst and thing would go back to normal soon.

There, I'm done. Sorry
    TailRunner and krisspy like this.

I draw the line at $15 a box for 9mm, $20 for .45 and even that makes we sick. Where's the ramped-up production going? DHS?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Getting pretty grim here in NE Florida. Went to a LGS and the display cases were looking lean. Very little ammo on the shelves. Got a box of 50 .357 and 50 .38 special both FMJ - $92. No 9mm in stock.
    Are you saying that you spent $92 for 100 rounds of .357 and .38 ammo? If this is correct, you must have been pretty desperate. That is about 3 times the prices which prevailed 6 months ago.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Are you saying that you spent $92 for 100 rounds of .357 and .38 ammo?
    Yes. Of course, I didn't know that would be the price. I told the clerk what I wanted and he rang it up and gave me the bill. I thought, "Damn, that's high," but I'm not a quibbler. I ordered what I wanted and was given it. It's one of those "don't ask how much if you can't afford it" kinda things.

Good luck finding anything right now.

Local Academy got a supply of popular ammo, except anything 22, limit 1 box per caliber per day, normal pricing. That supply will be gone today.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

3 Boxes 45 ACP (Blazer) 3 Boxes 38 special (American) $182.64, called 3 LGS only one in the area with any, was told to buy over phone as they could not guarantee any when I left work, and they had just received a shipment, picked over pretty good by the time I arrived. Trying not to hoard, and become part of the problem. But my local range is just about out of everything, and the prices keep going up there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links