I finally joined the millions that own a mosin

This is a discussion on I finally joined the millions that own a mosin within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 91/30 tula 1939, overall amazing condition. Has a few a total of 4 fill ins (that fixing broken wood thing they do) that I assume ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I finally joined the millions that own a mosin

91/30 tula 1939, overall amazing condition. Has a few a total of 4 fill ins (that fixing broken wood thing they do) that I assume is the result of its involvement with ww2. It was one of probably 10 or so that were on the rack. The most expensive one there at $189 but when I picked her up and opened the bolt I didn't even have to pull at it, the bolt literally slid out like it was bran new (no sticky bolt problem that I hear is so common). Which it is not of course as you can see by looking at it (not literal as I didn't include photos at this time). The stock is in great shape with the normal dings you would expect from a mosin. The only thing that makes it not perfect was a little rust in the bore. Which is an easy fix and I'm generally very pleased with it. The only raw end of the deal was because of the times I wasn't able to get the whole set up. Apparently these jokers like to sell the bayonet etc. separately for an extra buck now that we have this whole gun and ammo situation going on. However I was dealing with the shop owner directly (who was legit 100% hard to understand Russian himself) and expressing my interest in the Russian firearms and discussion of ww2. We traded stories (that my grandfather, and this Russian's father had told us) and he ended up giving me a ammo pouch, oil can, tools (not with the tool case), and bayonet. Unfortunately he didn't have any slings so I will have to get that another time. Great experience with this owner and his shop, great rifle. I will be going there for all my needs and they have basically every caliber and no limit on how much you buy. Sure this place in over an hour away but well worth it imo.

Now for you mosin owners out there. Tips on how to clean all that cosmo whatever its called off? Where is the best place to order 440/880 cans from? and where would I have the best luck finding an original sling?
    blanco64 and Betty like this.

2. Remove Ads

They are just so much fun shoot...and cheap also.
    031131 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The sticky bolt thing is when a round is in it and after its hot from firing. I basically stripped the barrel and bolt off the stock and cleaned it with mineral spirits. The wood you can wipe down and let it sit in the sun to get the excess cosmo to come out of the wood. Just wipe it down is what I did mainly and clean the barrel properly to get any junk out of it before shooting it. I think Sportmans Guide has the best pricing on ammo right now.
    Mr B likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
    The sticky bolt thing is when a round is it and after its hot from firing. I basically stripped the barrel and bolt off the stock and cleaned it with mineral spirits. The wood you can wipe down and let it sit in the sun to get the excess cosmo to come out of the wood. Just wipe it down is what I did mainly and clean the barrel properly to get any junk out of it before shooting it. I think Sportmans Guide has the best pricing on ammo right now.
    Thanks, it isn't exactly caked on like I have heard others complaining. I think they cleaned them before putting them out. I think it will be mostly the tight areas I have to get in. Thanks again for the info.

So I got some extra time and was able to clean it. Spent about 3 hours wiping down the stock. I think I'm done with that and generally the whole thing. But holy cow the barrel. I punched that beast with my .308 brush and my own punch rods (the cleaning rod is came with is useless lol, maybe because I don't have all of the tools). anyway I must have used half a bottle of clp over a period of 2 hours and it is still not clean. Punched it with the brush over 200 times and at least the same amount with cleaning pads. I'm tired of cleaning lol. I think I'll let it soak in clp over night or something like that at some point and see how well that works.

You all have the same experience?

I also took mine apart and cleaned all of the metal parts in mineral spirits. Used a cleaning rod and patches soaking wet in the barrel. Best to use a couple of different type brushes to get down in all of the crevices. Then soaked all of the parts in Remoil, let them sit overnight and wiped them down with a clean rag.

My stock was so bad I ended up stripping, staining, and tung oiling it. Lots of articles and videos on the internet about cleaning cosmoline off of stocks. Seems a lot of people are using Dawn Power Dissolver, letting them sit out in the sun, and in some instances putting them in an oven (not an option for me).

These things are a blast to shoot; very loud, kicks like a mule, big fireball out of the barrel, and cheap at $0.20/round. I bought a Limbsaver slip-on pad for the butt of the gun. Makes it much nicer to shoot. I had a pretty good bruise after the first outing.

Also, you'll likely find a pretty noticeable difference in the point-of-aim depending on whether the bayonet is on or off. I believe they were all sighted in with the bayonet on. Not exactly sure how a bayonet changes things, but it does.

Also, make sure you run a few patches of Windex through the barrel immediately after you get home from shooting corrosive ammo, followed by an oiled patch or two. Corrosive ammo will cause it to rust overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    So I got some extra time and was able to clean it. Spent about 3 hours wiping down the stock. I think I'm done with that and generally the whole thing. But holy cow the barrel. I punched that beast with my .308 brush and my own punch rods (the cleaning rod is came with is useless lol, maybe because I don't have all of the tools). anyway I must have used half a bottle of clp over a period of 2 hours and it is still not clean. Punched it with the brush over 200 times and at least the same amount with cleaning pads. I'm tired of cleaning lol. I think I'll let it soak in clp over night or something like that at some point and see how well that works.

If you're expecting the patch to come out clean, forget it. You will NEVER get a clean patch out of a Mosin. Well, maybe someone could, but the amount of scrubbing they would have to do would wear down the rifling...

As a collector of vintage military arms, I have 4 Mosins in my collection. Never have I got a clean patch out of any of them. After firing, I do my usual cleaning routine (preceeded with ammonia and/or water if using corrosive ammo) and am happy when the patches come out only mildly cruddy.

Remember, even at that level of care, they're getting more TLC than they ever did in the motherland. They're built to last in Russia with little maintenence. They wont rust out if you do even the most basic of cleanings.

Have fun with it! And beware. They multiply.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    If you're expecting the patch to come out clean, forget it. You will NEVER get a clean patch out of a Mosin. Well, maybe someone could, but the amount of scrubbing they would have to do would wear down the rifling...

As a collector of vintage military arms, I have 4 Mosins in my collection. Never have I got a clean patch out of any of them. After firing, I do my usual cleaning routine (preceeded with ammonia and/or water if using corrosive ammo) and am happy when the patches come out only mildly cruddy.

Remember, even at that level of care, they're getting more TLC than they ever did in the motherland. They're built to last in Russia with little maintenence. They wont rust out if you do even the most basic of cleanings.

Have fun with it! And beware. They multiply.
    Lol yes I was expecting it to come out clean. Well that is good to know.

I tried getting the barrel clean on my Mosin, never happened. Went through a few hundred patches, tried leaving the barrel soaking in solvent overnight, every time I run a bore brush down it, it comes out just as dirty as the first day I started cleaning it.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have cleaned many Mosin Nagants but I now have a friend that works in a plating shop and he cleaned the metal parts of my last two in his shop. He ran them through the cleaning tanks and they came out like new. In the past when I took a new one to the outdoor range I took a cleaning rod, bore brushes etc with me and after each time I fired five rounds I would immediately clean the bore. It appears it helped get the majority of the crud out.

031131 this is your first Mosin Nagant but not your last, if you buy one you will buy another. I presently only have two but I have had as many as 10 at one time. You now have that dreaded disease "Mosinitis" and the only way to keep it in remission is to buy a Mosin Nagant every three months or so, doesn't matter what year or model as long as it is a Mosin Nagant.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have 4. They kick like a mule and the action is crap. But they were factory refinished and under $100 . Also came with baYO, sling,cleaning rod, and ammo pouches.
    What is not to like....too bad they have dried up now.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post

I have 3, an M44, a round receiver 91/30, and a hex receiver 19/30. Id really love to find an orginal scope for mine.

Anyway, heres whats going to happen, youll take it to the range, and after a few rounds, and everything heats up, more cosmo will leech out. Mostly likely from the wood. My M44 was packed in the stuff, heavy. It took several cleanings to get it all out. The stock still leaches it out. Ive read stories of guys putting them in black plastic bags and leaving them inside thiere cars to bake if you will for days. Some have stuck them in ovens on low low heat to get the cosmo to leeech out. I just left mine out in the summer sun, and it worked.

Theres a website out there detailing with pics where a guy put the receiver./barrel in some kind of electrochemical dip to get his clean, and it seems to have worked, according to his story. It makes sense, as some of these things have been sitting and then later packed in cosmo for a very long time.

Distinguished Member
    Just a bit on cleaning after shooting. The ammo that is available for the most part uses corrosive primers. What that means is that when you shoot, the primer, in the process of doing its job, creates salts which if left too long can rust and pit your bore. If you rinse it with water (some people claim that Windex helps but I just use plain water) and run a few wet patches down the barrel, and then clean it normally (the water just takes care of the salts, but not the normal residue left from shooting), it should not rust at all. Don't buy into the panic some people feel that they have to do this immediately when done shooting. You can go home and do it. Just don't leave it for days before doing it. Hot, or boiling water, will dissolve the salts a bit better but I use lukewarm water that I keep in a special container to go down the barrel with (pull the bolt and then pour it down through the crown and it drains out the chamber. Make sure to rinse off the bolt and mag follower as well.

And enjoy. They are nice, and powerful. I got an M38 Carbine as I couldn't handle the length of the regular 91/30. And I put a rubber buttstock recoil pad on and that saves my shoulder.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Try to use Barnes CR-10 to clean the bore, more so when using corrosive surplus ammo. Then use a oil based bored cleaner/lube. Barnes CR-10 will neutralize the corrosive salts and you'll get a lot of the black crap out of the bore that you wouldn't get out with a CLP cleaner.

good to know. I'll have to look for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links