Time to get a good airgun?

This is a discussion on Time to get a good airgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, with all the hoarding going on it's getting hard to find ammo. And the stuff I can readily find is getting very expensive. For ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Phaedrus

Thread: Time to get a good airgun?

Okay, with all the hoarding going on it's getting hard to find ammo. And the stuff I can readily find is getting very expensive. For instance, I can always get WWB in .45 ACP...as long as I don't mind spending $45 + tax per hundred! That adds up quick! I'm saving my brass, although right now I don't have my reloading stuff set up, but even if I get to loading again components are getting scarce. I'm starting to think my next gun purchase should be an airgun!

I'm being serious here! I can continue to plink, maybe even daily, at minimal cost. While there's no recoil, you still practice sight alignment and trigger control. As an added bonus, I could practice in my basement. This would lead to practicing almost every day.

So the question is, what do I get? I don't know much about specific models. I want a pistol, something with a decent trigger. Probably .177 but I could certainly be persuaded to get a .22 if there's a good reason. I suppose I would like to avoid PCB guns since a compressor that could fill it would be expensive, and a hand pump would probably kill me! Do CO2 guns have good enough accuracy to be worth practicing with? Any models to seek out (or avoid)?

Waste of money. Get a .22 (you should have one already) and spend the money on lots of ammo when the prices come down. Yes, you can still shoot it in your basement. Why can't you with any gun?

VIP Member
    I don’t have a lot of experience with airguns but the one I do have is a barrel cocked spring powered gun. From what little I know about airguns the spring-powered guns offer the most consistent pressures and accuracy.

A good source of info here: Educational Resources - AirgunDepot.com
    NONAME762 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I like the ones in .357, yes they exist, very acurate at resonable distances. and enough power for varment hunting.
    however they do tend to be pricey.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    Waste of money. Get a .22 (you should have one already) and spend the money on lots of ammo when the prices come down. Yes, you can still shoot it in your basement. Why can't you with any gun?
    Yeah, got the .22 pistol covered. Ammo to feed it is another matter. Got a few bricks laying around you don't want? It's not even price, there's just nothing to buy. As for shooting "any gun" in my basement...well, I guess we have different kinds of basements! And I suspect popping off a hundred rounds of .45 in the house is likely to get some attention from my neighbors/local PD.
    Cory1022 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I don’t have a lot of experience with airguns but the one I do have is a barrel cocked spring powered gun. From what little I know about airguns the spring-powered guns offer the most consistent pressures and accuracy.

A good source of info here: Educational Resources - AirgunDepot.com
    Several years ago on a gun deal gone bad I ended up with an older model German made air rifle. I'm not sure of the spelling but it was something like *FEINWERKBRAU*. It was Extremely Well Made and according to the guy that bought it...it was VALUABLE. I got $250 for it I think. I was flabbergasted that the guy was serious. It was in NRA Very Good Condition. I wish I still had it. I'd scope it and Keep It.

I'm considering buying an air rifle and scoping it as my eyes aren't what they were just 10 years ago. It doesn't need to be Tacticool, in fact the plainer it looks the better.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I had a Glock 17 replica airsoft. The higher end models are pretty dead on.Was really nice to go in the office and squeeze some rounds of and practice drawing drills.

With the ammo prices now I think I am going to get another one so I can get some trigger time in at least.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    Uh...laws about using firearms within city limits? Safety and health reasons (need really good ventilation)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Yeah, got the .22 pistol covered. Ammo to feed it is another matter. Got a few bricks laying around you don't want? It's not even price, there's just nothing to buy. As for shooting "any gun" in my basement...well, I guess we have different kinds of basements! And I suspect popping off a hundred rounds of .45 in the house is likely to get some attention from my neighbors/local PD.
    CCI makes some .22 ammo that is so quiet, you don't even need hearing protection. It sounds like a pellet gun. Depending on how much you shoot though, maybe it is a good idea to get an air rifle. You don't want a C02 one, those can get costly fast.

Any of the full metal blow back pistols are nice. Kwa,KJC, Tokyo Mariu are good brands. A nice blow back will run you between 120-200 bucks. With ammo prices now it will pay for itself pretty quick. I just set up a cardboard target in my office and shot away.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links