Proud Dad moments

This is a discussion on Proud Dad moments within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is 4 years old. We went to a carnival the other night and he won a game and got to pick out a ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 11 Post By BugDude
  • 2 Post By blanco64
  • 1 Post By Bill340
  • 1 Post By RickyD

Thread: Proud Dad moments

Proud Dad moments

My son is 4 years old. We went to a carnival the other night and he won a game and got to pick out a prize of his choice. He chose a toy gun that had a target and 3 "bullets." He as quite proud, telling me it was just like my guns. In the days after coming home, he wanted me to show him how to use it. We set up our range and I taught him the safe handling rules. And he is taking it VERY seriously. I taught him proper shooting technique and I must say he has very good form. And is a good shot too from 8 feet. He has made me quite proud repeating "I only point my gun at the target or the floor." We talked about Daddy's guns not being toys, and he seems to understand the difference between toys being for kids and real guns not and not to touch them, tell me or mom if he sees a real one. I showed him one of my unloaded ones, and told him when he got older I would take him to the range. He seems cool with that.

I must say it has been a proud Dad moment. He even racks the slide of his toy gun with good form. I think he'll be a natural!!!!

And in the spirit of "it didn't happen without pics," here's the obligatory new gun pic:
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Keep stressing gun safety to him, Now I wonder who would win if ya'll had a little competition.

I've shot his toy gun more the last couple days than any of my real ones in the last couple of months. It's rather fun!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think I found the inspiration for anything ever made by HighPoint lol..... Congrats ! You should be proud of your son, but be proud of yourself too. You are teaching him safe weapon handling, proper technique, and excellent weapon safety. He will do his father proud, but dont get up set when he shoots better than you ! :)
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've shot his toy gun more the last couple days than any of my real ones in the last couple of months. It's rather fun!!!
    Mainly because it's the only thing you can get ammo for?
    BugDude and blitzburgh like this.

Very neat! Those are fun times. Keep up the Eddie Eagle safety mantra too. Can't instill that too early.

HOLY CRAP! That picture scared me to death- how many rounds can that thing hold?! It must be on the banned list!

Seriously, that is a pretty swell carnival prize! And a VERY sweet story!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Dart gun at the basement range. Always did like that.

Careful, though. He might well turn out to be a "ringer" for your IPSC tourneys.

Nice to see he's got safety/handling down pat, at least so far. Eddie The Eagle stuff can definitely help with all of this. I'm sure you'll have the 2A-related elements well in hand.

Congratulations on the new little shooter in the house.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Looks like a glock with 3 personal drone attachments...
    BugDude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I have worked with kids as young as six years old, and they are fun to teach. They are very serious about learning and listen quite well.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member
    It's great to be a parent!
    blitzburgh likes this.

Awesome! Being a parent is definitely one of the best joys in the world. So great to hear that you're teaching him so well and that he's taking things seriously!

I'm jealous of those grips!

Edit: That's a dang sweet carnival prize!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Links