Mossberg 715T - Anybody have experience with it?

This is a discussion on Mossberg 715T - Anybody have experience with it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to my LGS today just to take a look around and I noticed a Mossberg 715T. He was asking $299 (it's new, not ...

Thread: Mossberg 715T - Anybody have experience with it?

Mossberg 715T - Anybody have experience with it?

I went to my LGS today just to take a look around and I noticed a Mossberg 715T.

He was asking $299 (it's new, not used) which is a bit below MSRP. No surprise there, I'm a long time customer (bought at least 10+ firearms from them) and him and his wife dearly appreciate my business and the business of those I refer.

I'm just curious if anybody has any experience with this specific weapon? It reminds me a lot of my friends S&W MP 15-22 (which I've put at least 750 rounds through, without one problem by the way) - There's a significant difference in price between the two rifles.

I must say, it's an attractive offer. I only have experience with Mossberg's shotguns, so I'm a bit clueless in these waters. Is this a decent rifle, would I be better off paying the extra money for the S&W or picking this one up? I'd like to pick up this .22LR rifle for practice purposes, so I can conserve my 5.56 ammo, plus it'd be a fun range gun.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Upon further research, it appears this is a "tactical" .22 Mossberg came out to rival S&W MP 15-22.

Since nobody has responded to this thread, I'll be the forum guinea pig! I'll be picking it up tomorrow and will update this with a detailed report in case anybody else is interested.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Just a heads up, Mossberg customer service isn't all that great. I called and after 20 minutes on hold, was told to send an e-mail. I sent them an e-mail several days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. (I just asked what the manufacturer date based on a serial number was, and how much a specific service would cost.)

Apparently decent response times have never been their thing.

Cheaper feeling plastic toy gun compared with the 15-22. The 15-22 is a bit better quality and feels that way compared to the mossberg. Personally I would just a ruger 10/22 for a rifle and use one of the many mod kits if you really want to have an AR15 style 22lr gun.

I have one and it functions fine. It is fun to shoot but the plastic does make it feel a little like a toy.

F.Y.I. $299 is way too high for that rifle. Cabela's has it for $269.99 Cabela's: Mossberg Tactical Rimfire Semiautomatic Rifle

Ask your LGS to match the price and go have some fun at the range.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Update: I went and picked it up tonight. My LGS is also a pawn shop, while there, I inspected some electronics for him that he wasn't familiar with. I ended up walking out the door with the rifle and a 20 round box of Gold Speer Dots (125 grain, .357SIG. $21.99) for a grand total of... $165.

Unfortunately, by the time I got back to the house, it was dark.. so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to give it a shot.

Came with a 25 round mag and he ordered an extra one (free of charge) for me because of the money I saved him by 1) inspecting the electronics he wasn't familiar with and 2) giving him 100 rounds of 9mm that I picked up and 'traded' (for his personal use).

Saw one of those today. First one Id seen. Had a BSA scope on it. Looks like it would be fun and Id say 30 rds of rapid fire 22lr would sting a bit if you were a BG
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

blitzburgh Is the barrel threaded?

blitzburgh Is the barrel threaded? or is the flash supressor welded on?

Blitzburgh was the first thread I viewed, but long after he purchased his. I bought mine several months ago from Bud's Guns for 289.00. It came with a Barska scope, plus extra front and rear sights, just laying in the box. Everything is plastic except for the trigger, the bolt and the barrel. Difficult to tear down for cleaning. Feels like I am taking apart a kids's toy. I had to make a sling holder for it, using the extension tube screw hole and a longer screw. I made it using duct hanger straps (the strips with holes every 1/2 inch) to attach it to the screw. I attached a luggage ring to it to hook the sling to. The flash is screwed on. Bud's had them for sale for 214.00 last week. It is not an AR, by any stretch. It reminds me of an airsoft gun made to look like an AR. The life of the accuracy will depend on how much heat the plastic gets before it warps. The rail splits down the center lengthwise. Either the hot sun or rapid firing could cause it to warp. I regret buying it. I should have paid more and got a better gun. Sad part is I ordered six 25 round mags for it in February that I already paid for and am still waiting on them from 715T Accessories. $500.00 total down the drain. I also bought a Stag and the .22LR conversion kit. I just change out the bolt and can shoot 22's. I think that is the better way to go. My .22LR bullets that I ordered from 715T should be in by December! I gave up on WalMart.

I bought one and the first thing they told me was "take it apart,clean it before firing it".Mine shipped with some sort of oil inside of it,so I took it apart and broke out the Hoppes.
    My problems with it at first was not being able to fit more than 11 rounds in the 25 round magazine.So I took it apart,and gave it a good cleaning,and now it loads 25 rounds no problem.My other issue was how difficult it was to remove the magazine.I smoothed the inside of where the magazine goes a bit and its a little bit easier now.
    Mine came with one 25 round magazine,and had a hell of a time finding a second 25 rd magazine at a good price until I finally found one off Armslist.I also purchased 2 10 round 702 Plinkster magazines since the 715T is basically a 702 dressed like a AR.So far,it fires great.It loves CCI Mini-Mags.

Links