Help me make a decision...

This is a discussion on Help me make a decision... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Getting ready to make a new gun purchase or two and I am having a tough time making a decision on which direction to go. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help me make a decision...

Help me make a decision...

Getting ready to make a new gun purchase or two and I am having a tough time making a decision on which direction to go. I have a few models of each type of gun that I am strongly considering. I will begin with seeking your thoughts on which type(s) to buy first and your thoughts on an order as I cant afford them all at once (who can?) but I can pick up a couple at the same time depending on which ones they are. Keeping in mind that I already have a concealed carry .38 snubby, a nightstand/carry SR40, and a Winchester 94 in which order would you buy the list below. I will be completeing this list its just a matter of order.

In no particular order:

Sub-compact pistol (Think LC9 size)
    Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
    Pump shotgun(s) (one for the closet and one for shooting and hunting?)
    Semi auto rifle (.223/5.56 variant)
    Bolt action rifle (bigger caliber than .223)
    Muzzle Loader (I had a Knight Original DISC and regret selling it. I do deer hunt.)

I'll be intrested to see what your thoughts are!
    Last edited by PHenry1775; February 27th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.

2. Remove Ads

You have the basic sidearm category covered, and assuming the Win 94 is in a rifle caliber like .30-30, you have the hunting rifle category covered until you need to specialize.

I think the very next slot to fill is the shotgun - a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 (or their variants) can cover all sorts of wingshooting and clay target needs. Just get a separate short barrel (18") for defensive purposes.

After the shotgun, I'd be looking at rimfire rifles and handguns for sheer shooting pleasure as well as lower-cost practice. The rest of the list is hunting-related, and starts to get specialized depending on what you're after and where you're after it (New England woods or Dakota plains).

Don't forget to budget for some training along the way!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Get a Glock 19.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Good reply gasmitty. The Model 94 is indeed chambered in .30-30. My thought on the shotgun(s) model is in line with yours; however, I'd like to have one that stays in the closet for the wife when I am not at home and another that is my "do everything else" gun. I certainly don't have to buy them at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You have the basic sidearm category covered, and assuming the Win 94 is in a rifle caliber like .30-30, you have the hunting rifle category covered until you need to specialize.

I think the very next slot to fill is the shotgun - a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 (or their variants) can cover all sorts of wingshooting and clay target needs. Just get a separate short barrel (18") for defensive purposes.

After the shotgun, I'd be looking at rimfire rifles and handguns for sheer shooting pleasure as well as lower-cost practice. The rest of the list is hunting-related, and starts to get specialized depending on what you're after and where you're after it (New England woods or Dakota plains).

Don't forget to budget for some training along the way!
    What he said - exactly the order I would and actually am pursuing - I am in a similar place with what I own.

Sub compact pistol ( M&p shield)
    Semi auto 22 ( ruger 22/45)
    Pump shotgun (Mossberg 500)
    Semi auto rifle (Stag arms ar-15)
    Bolt action rifle ( Ruger American 308)
    Semi auto 22 rifle ( Ruger 10/22)
    These are some of my faves. The ruger American and shield will be added to my collection as time and money permit. the rest I already have.

I think the semi auto 22 pistol should come first. You can get lots of trigger time with .22 bullets (once the panic is over) for a whole lot of savings over any other pistol round.

I see you don't have a .22 rifle on your list. That is a must in my view, but it is your list after all.

I think the shotgun should be next. Your pick on that one.

I have not found a use for a .223 as of yet. Since I got out of the Army, I have only fired a few rifles chambered in that caliber, and haven't missed it one bit. But that is just me, so that would be at the very bottom of the list.

For a bolt action, you simply can't beat the 30.06 round. You can get a very light flat shooting round or a big heavy round if you choose. Below that I would go to the .270.

The LC9 would be a good choice since you already have a SR for full sized gun. My choices in that size were the CW9/CW45. Since you already have the .40 cal, maybe a CW40 would fit the bill. Limit your caliber combinations.

Instead of the semi auto in .223, have you thought about a lever gun in .357, you could shoot your .38 ammo out of it to keep the same caliber. Or maybe a Sub 2000 or Beretta Storm shooting .40 cal since you already have a .40, or if you choose a 9mm compact, the SB2000 or Storm in 9mm.
    Pyzik likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I wasn't very specific when I said "Semi-Auto .22" was I? I should have specified "Rifle" as that is what I meant and I have fixed it.

I hadn't really considered a .22 Semi-Auto pistol though I probably should. I do like the Ruger 22/45 quite a bit. Who doesn't? ;o)

I had considered the Lever gun in .38/.357 for the exact reasons farronwolf stated, but since I already have a Model 94 in .30-30 I had moved past it and on towards the more important tools. I think my next "High Powered" rifle should be more of a "reach out and touch" you kind of gun. Something in .30-06 is at the top of the list here due to popularity of the round. Though since I have this base covered "somewhat" with the .30-30 it wasn't necessarily the most important in my mind.

Great suggestions on an order so far! Keep them coming!

It seems pretty obvious based on your lists that the pump shotty should be next...the usual suspects are the Mossberg 500/590 and Remington 870. Is the sr40 a compact? Personally, I would want a full size semi-auto handgun at some point.

Here is my suggestions based on the list you provided:

1. Semi auto rifle (.223/5.56 variant) - Excellent defensive weapon and you can hunt with it (good luck finding one at a reasonable price)

2. Pump shotgun(s) (one for the closet and one for shooting and hunting?) - Excellent defensive weapon and you can hunt with it (Remington 870)

3. Semi-Auto .22 Rifle - Excellent for hunting small game and inexpensive to shoot (Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22 or Mossberg 715T)

4. Bolt action rifle (bigger caliber than .223) - Add a scope and you have a great hunting rifle/precision marksman rifle (Remington 770 will get you into this category at a reasonable price point)

5. Sub-compact pistol (Think LC9 size) - (Sig P938 with a 7 round mag)

6. Muzzle Loader (I had a Knight Original DISC and regret selling it. I do deer hunt.)
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I would vote for shotgun and an AR variant.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    Is the sr40 a compact? Personally, I would want a full size semi-auto handgun at some point.
    My SR40 is the full size. It's not a bad carry gun but it spends more time at the beside than on my hip. In my opinion it's a little big for summer carry. My .38 snubby is an early 90's model 85. Its a great carry gun but I have been looking closely at the sub compact semis due to the narrower frames which would make summer concealment a bit easier. They're lighter too. Naturally since I have the .38 already a subc isn't an immediate must have.

Seems most of the comments are leaning towards the shotgun and/or .22 rifle/pistol as the next purchase. That is what I was thinking. There seem to be plenty of 500/590's and 870's available in the area just not necesarily in the configuration that I am looking for. The great thing is that I can make a number of changes after the purchase.

There are also Marlin 70's, Remington 597's and a few 10/22's available. All are great guns but they all seem to have their individual drawbacks. I am leaning towards the 70 or the 597 right now. I like the Ruger but I am having a hard time justifying paying that much more money for a 10/22 when I know I am going to be making changes anyway. On top of the fact that the concensus seems to be that the Marlin will shoot circles around it. The 597 appears to group as good or better than the 10/22 as well. I am more concerned with accuracy and reliablity than anything else. It could be a beater for all I care as long as it groups well!

Thoughts?

a 10/22 is an icon, everyone needs one, everyone should have one, with that being said a shotgun is alway A-1 super special awesome for home defense, nothing says get the f out like a 12ga shell being pumped in

I'd probably go with the shotgun first. Remington 870 pump if you can afford it, or the New England Firearms Pardner (870 Clone) if you want to save money, and particularly if you're going to leave it in a closet, and not in a gun safe. I leave a Pardner out in the house, as a "quick grab" weapon, and I won't lose a lot of sleep should it be stolen. My Remington, Winchester, Ithaca and Benelli(s) live in the gun safe.

I'd probably opt for an AR in .223 next, as it's a great home defense weapon for you and your wife, and they aren't getting any cheaper. That rifle and 10 standard magazines (30 rounds) will give you lots of peace of mind, should things get ugly. Ideally, you and your wife would both have one, but again, they aren't cheap.

I'd then go with the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, chambered in 7.62 or .308. That little rifle will put food on your table, and will serve as a stand off defense rifle, should that become necessary.

Ruger 10/22 rifle would be next. They're cheap, so you probably ought to get one for you and one for your wife. Lots of fun to shoot, and they'll put small game in your freezer year round.

Thompson Omega 50 cal muzzleloader would be next. Accurate, fun to shoot, and will take deer, elk, or moose. Nice to have. IMO, they've eclipsed the Knight you are familiar with.

Though it wasn't on your list, I'd probably add another high capacity pistol, your preference of make, with a light rail on it, for home defense. Be nice if the wife could shoot it as well. Just can't have enough, IMHO.

Good luck on your journey Sir, and be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'd get a pump action shotgun first. I just picked up a really rough Mossberg 500 at a pawn shop for $90 OTD. After a good cleaning (seriously, it took me 4 hours while watching TV) it was pretty smooth action. I'm going to turn it into a refinishing/building project, but I wouldn't have to. It's not pretty (yet) but it'll shoot clay pigeons and the like.

Next I'd get .22lr rifle. A Ruger 10/22 gets my vote. I picked one up several years ago for $180 but who knows what the price is like now adays.

After that I'd say your taste will have changed and so there's no point of planning out that far ahead! Your situation (financial, security, family, etc etc) will probably have changed and your gun purchases will reflect that.

Remember the cost of accessories (scopes/rings/mounts, slings, magazines), upgrades (trigger work, sights, magazine releases) and ammo will need to be factored in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links