Shooting a 12 ga shottie on an indoor range?

This is a discussion on Shooting a 12 ga shottie on an indoor range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious- for those of you that shoot on indoor ranges, how many of you are allowed to shoot 12 ga shotguns there? A few ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blanco64

Thread: Shooting a 12 ga shottie on an indoor range?

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar

Just curious- for those of you that shoot on indoor ranges, how many of you are allowed to shoot 12 ga shotguns there? A few days ago I was at the LGS using the range and saw half a dozen fired 12 ga hulls. That particular day I had to keep the session short because I had to work that afternoon so I forgot to ask someone about it. Perhaps someone was selling or trading a gun and the LGS wanted to see if it worked, or maybe the house 'smith was testing one he was working on. Maybe it was another range member. Next time I'm there I'm gonna ask if it's okay to shoot a shotgun. It would be great if they say yes! I've been planning to buy a Remington 870 and set it up as an HD gun and it would be great to be able to pattern it and practice with it on the range.

2. Remove Ads

My range allows shotguns, but only slugs can be fired.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Really? What's the rationale for that? Just off the top of my head I'd have thought that the backstop isn't set up to stop a 1oz slug? Or it for air quality (lead) reasons?

Thanks!

The indoor range I use only allows slugs or 00 buckshot. When I asked about it, they said it's because birdshot bounces off the backstop back toward the firing line, and it also tears up the lights and target transport systems.
    6459 likes this.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm gonna ask them at the LGS range where I have a membership and see what they allow. Buck or slugs would be fine with me since 00 buck is what I'd likely keep loaded in it.

slugs only at every indoor range I've used as well.

Indoor range, no shotguns or rifles over 22 cal.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

the indoor range I go to allows 00 buckshot, or slugs. all the way up to .50cal handguns. Their backstop is a massive dirt pile backstop.

Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    The indoor range I use only allows slugs or 00 buckshot. When I asked about it, they said it's because birdshot bounces off the backstop back toward the firing line, and it also tears up the lights and target transport systems.

Of the three in my area, the one i visit the most only allows 00 buck for the same reason, Though, ive been shooting shotguns indoors regularly for about 3 years, and have never seen it happen. The other two have never said anything about using light target loads.

The range i go to most charges extra for long guns, but they are allowed. They don't allow steel shot because it bounces around so bad. Any lead is good to go.

My local indoor range does allow shotguns to be fired but only with slugs or 00 buck.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

my range allows 12 ga aslong as its buck or slugs, no birdshot allowed.
    ruger91

NRA member

Last time I went to the range, they let my buddy shoot whatever he wanted out of his 12 gauge short of a sabot slug.

Links