Antis claim fewer gun owners and say gun ownership is in decline

Antis claim fewer gun owners and say gun ownership is in decline

This is a discussion on Antis claim fewer gun owners and say gun ownership is in decline within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have noticed that a frequent crowing point amongst the antis is to claim that gun ownership in America is on the decline. They state ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Antis claim fewer gun owners and say gun ownership is in decline

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Question Antis claim fewer gun owners and say gun ownership is in decline

I have noticed that a frequent crowing point amongst the antis is to claim that gun ownership in America is on the decline. They state that as a percentage of the population that there are fewer gun owners and try to point to data such as a Washington Post poll, or Brady Bunch figures to prove it. They acknowledge that gun sales are up but insist that it only says that there are more guns in fewer hands. These claims to do not fit at all with what I've been seeing. I've heard of more direct reports of people buying their first guns and obtaining their carry permits and this is in addition to the buying craze that occurred over the last few months. In response to any data that shows CC permits are on the rise, the antis try to deny it or refute it as not indicating that there are more gun owners. Of course one potential answer is that both the population and the number of gun owners are increasing, but the population is growing faster. Off and on, I've tried to look for any sort of real data, from a neutral and reputable source, to confirm or refute this claim but haven't really found anything conclusive. Does anyone know of any good sources of information on this subject?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Tell that to the LGS cash registers and sales receipts.
    NONAME762 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Have you been to your Local Gun Store lately to check how many guns are in stock (please take careful note of the empty spots in their display cases) and how much (likely not much at all) ammo is in stock??

Also, be sure to check your local Walmart(s) to see how much ammo they have in stock. I believe you'll find that Walmart is limiting the amount of ammo that can be purchased because it is in such short supply, right now.

If ownership of guns were truly in decline, then there ought to be an abundance of firearms of all kinds in Local Gun Stores and the stock of ammo ought to be plentiful.

I doubt that you will find overflowing stocks of guns or of ammo. That is strong evidence that the anti-2nd Amendment crowd is fabricating "facts" and "statistics" to suit their current fantasy (lie).
    NONAME762 likes this.

multistage likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

There are lies, damned lies, then there are statistics.

A good polling company can "prove" most people prefer ground dirt on their steaks over A-1.

Weapon sales. Ammunition availability. Background checks. These tell the true tale.
    In Illinois we see new people applying for FOID cards every day.

As much as the anti-gun crowd would like to hope they are winning hearts and minds the truth contradicts them.
    Secret Spuk and NONAME762 like this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Took my wife to the gun range last weekend and about 90% of the shooters were women just learning to shoot. The anti's figure if they tell a lie enough times people will believe it, sadly it works quite often.

Liberals are under the impression that just because they tell their lies so often they begin to believe them that everyone else will too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Even if it is true, it has no relevance on gun grab legislation.
    Dandyone, Secret Spuk and Tzadik like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Pleeeeasssseeee! The shelves at Wal Mart are empty and they only sell three boxes of ammo per person, the LGS can't restock their shelves quick enough, all gun shows are overcrowded, prices of private gun and magazine sales have risen to ridiculous levels, firearm, ammo and magazine manufacturers have long waiting times and can't keep up with demand, and all the local concealed carry courses are overbooked. Yeah, if something gun ownership in the US is on the rise thanks to the NRA's best spokesperson (OBAMA).
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I have noticed that a frequent crowing point amongst the antis is to claim that gun ownership in America is on the decline. They state that as a percentage of the population that there are fewer gun owners ...
    Irrelevant from the standpoint of a given person desiring to retain the right, to have effective means of defense against violence. They can crow all they want about who and how many, but it has nothing to do with the right to do so or the perceived need by citizens to partake of those rights.

Liberty haters are trying to use some nonsensical proxy for reduced need, when nothing could be further from the truth. The person caught in a deadly situation with a violent criminal has maximal need to be capable of resisting. Even if that's just one single citizen each year, that's sufficient justification for the viability of the right to be armed.

IMO, no such hunting for data to thwart lies and deceit in this regard is necessary. The mere fact that not all gun ownership is known, not all gun transactions are documented, and not all violent crime against citizens is reported means one thing, primarily: that it's practically impossible to come up with the actual, correct statistics related to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Off and on, I've tried to look for any sort of real data, from a neutral and reputable source, to confirm or refute this claim but haven't really found anything conclusive. Does anyone know of any good sources of information on this subject?
    About the three best sources I know of are: the FBI's uniform crime reports and related data; the Centers for Disease Control (WISQARS data system); and the arguments/statistics presented by Gary Kleck, Don Kates and John Lott regarding the failures of gun control in terms of stopping crime.

A good place to start -- John Lott's book, More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My local store has a 'take a number' system, same as when you go to the deli counter to get a pound of cold cuts. They never had that before.

In these parts, you need a purchase license via the local PD. The detective who processes the applications told me he is doing 500% more per month than a year ago. That is a reliable local stat. Some Progressive claiming ownership is declining has never stepped in a gun store.
    But it doesn't matter what they claim, as another poster mentioned.

Anti's claim a lot of stuff.
    Eagleks likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This is just more of the same.

It's like the comments we hear from on high about "common sense gun laws", if they call their opinions and options common sense then they believe they are common sense and expect the rest of us to believe that. They get the media to first state that their stuff is common sense, therefore anything that comes after that is not common sense.

This is just like that: by simply stating that ownership is in decline, and getting the media sheep to report that, the supposition is that ownership is in decline and that's fact, now everything else is a refute of the fact and therefore subject to doubt.

Just because they say it first doesn't make it true.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    Traits that are common for "anti's".

They usually don't know what they are talking about...

If they actually do,then they will lie about it.

They just dont know what they dont know.
    phreddy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    As usual, these people are so far removed from reality it makes you wonder if they're not all on drugs.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links