troubles with sigma 9 trigger

This is a discussion on troubles with sigma 9 trigger within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i just bought a used s&w 9gve sigma. like the gun the looks and the 16 round capacity but im having a hard time getting ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: troubles with sigma 9 trigger

i just bought a used s&w 9gve sigma. like the gun the looks and the 16 round capacity but im having a hard time getting used to the heavy trigger pull i cant seem to be accurate with it. im used to shooting my glock 23, 21 and i love their triggers. is their any way to reduce the pull? i shot 100 rounds through it today and still couldn't seem to get use to it and be as accurate as i am with my glocks. had better groupings with my 21 than with my sigma 9. maybe just more practice?

Distinguished Member
    Had a sigma, liked the gun, reliable as anything could be. Tried all the tricks on the web to make the trigger better - slightly improved it, but its still a really long, heavy trigger.

I sold it, I figured the money was better spent towards a gun that was easier/more enjoyable/better for me to shoot. I know some people say, "quit whinning - its like a long DA revolver trigger" but thats not what I wanted in my semi-auto pistols.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

there is a trigger fix. do a web search and you will find the infomation. not hard to do. u-tube has several vids that show how to do it. i did it and it helps some. brings it down to around 6/7 pounds from the 10 pounds. you got to remove some springs and polish some parts. i think if i work on it some more i could get it down more. there is a spring fix kit also on the web. but i don't know how good it is. as far as the sigma goes it is a good gun except the trigger. i like the way it fits my hand and the way it shoots. never had any problem with it before and/or after the trigger fix.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have the sw40ve. To be honest the trigger doesnt bother me. Yeah is a stiff trigger but is a SD pistol not a range pistol. If you hang in and shoot it youll get used to it where it doesnt bother you. Ive heard of the trigger mods but also know a few that had malfunction issues after they did it and put everything back as it was.
    I cut my teeth on da revolvers for years so maybe that is why the trigger doesnt bother me as much but Ive had Glocks and others that had easier triggers then switch over to the Sigma and no real difference in combat range accuracy.
    The more you shoot it it will ease up some too.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

9mm sigma

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I have the sw40ve. To be honest the trigger doesnt bother me. Yeah is a stiff trigger but is a SD pistol not a range pistol. If you hang in and shoot it youll get used to it where it doesnt bother you. Ive heard of the trigger mods but also know a few that had malfunction issues after they did it and put everything back as it was.
    I cut my teeth on da revolvers for years so maybe that is why the trigger doesnt bother me as much but Ive had Glocks and others that had easier triggers then switch over to the Sigma and no real difference in combat range accuracy.
    The more you shoot it it will ease up some too.
    I owned a sigma for 10 years and I've shot the thing often over 2k rounds with no issue other than a really heavy trigger.Shooting mine helped the trigger a bit.I purchased a 40 cal sigma
    and it was a piece of crap ;bang nothing bang nothing,i ponied up the extra cash a bought a glock which is one of the best pistol I ever owned! Keep in mind I own both when I was poor
    and sigma was all I could afford that's what I bought.Why would you want to spend money on a trigger job.I remember someone doing trigger jobs on sigmas for $85 bucks but I can't remember who add anoth hundred your in glock territory.

I have a Sigma, and never liked the trigger.

After having it for a few years I sent S&W an e-mail about how the trigger seemed excessively heavy and gritty, and it was so heavy I was unable to shoot the gun accurately.

They emailed me back a prepaid shipping label, and when I got it back from their warranty repair shop, the trigger was greatly improved.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Try this... Apex makes a spring kit that drops trigger weight by 2 lbs, smoothes the trigger pull, increases reset feel etc, and its 20 bucks.

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid66.html
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    I bought one from a guy at work for $180.
    GS was going to give him $150. 5 mags case, all in near perfect condition.
    I asked him how screwy the trigger is, and he said, "my brother and dad hate it and can't shoot it for crap, but I can do alright with it".
    I bought it, took it out and my nephew was snickering and poking fun.
    Until I shot the daylights out of the target from 15 yards.
    Some people can shoot it no problem, some have a more dificult time.
    Here is a link to a DC thread that shows how to do a home job on a .40 cal sigma, which would be the same as a 9mm.
    Go to post #9
    S & W Sigma 40
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    The way to fix a Sigma trigger is this:

1) First make sure that the gun is unloaded.
    2) Hold the pistol in your strong side hand facing away from you.
    3) Use you weak side hand to strip the pistol from your strong side hand and replace it with a Glock 19....Problem solved.

I'm sorry OP. I couldn't resist.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It without question is a Revolver trigger in a semi-auto frame. I will give you advice that has helped me shoot mine well. Grant Cunningham's book on Revolvers explains that with a heavy revolver trigger, you need a firm/tight grip. He says to grip a revolver as tight as you can with both hands to the point the gun shakes while you aim, then back off on the grip a little. Holding your sigma that tight is what helped me shoot as accurate as any other pistol.

I have the sigma SW40VE along side a Ruger SR45 in my bedside safe.

Don't mess with the trigger. It can never be a glock type. It is heavy because the trigger pulls the firing pin back 100% from its resting position. A glock is partially reset from racking the slide. If you put a lighter striker spring in, then you might get light strikes.

i have a glock 21 and glock 23. wanted to try a different gun came across sigma 9 and bought it. i went nd fired another 100 rounds through it today and am getting more accurate withit i think its a gun ill keep. after shooting more today i will just leave the trigger alone but still with it was lighter

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The way to fix a Sigma trigger is this:

1) First make sure that the gun is unloaded.
    2) Hold the pistol in your strong side hand facing away from you.
    3) Use you weak side hand to strip the pistol from your strong side hand and replace it with a Glock 19....Problem solved.

I'm sorry OP. I couldn't resist.

^^Just wait till your father gets home^^^^^^^^^

You're headin' for the big time out chair!
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sponsored Links