Traveling with a Firearm in Delaware

This is a discussion on Traveling with a Firearm in Delaware within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been traveling in Delaware going to the local range with a firearm . I do NOT have a CCDW permit, and also do ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By Snub44

Thread: Traveling with a Firearm in Delaware

I have been traveling in Delaware going to the local range with a firearm . I do NOT have a CCDW permit, and also do NOT OC either. I travel with my Ruger SR9c unloaded with 2 empty magazines in my zipped range bag in the trunk / hatchback ( depending on which car I drive that day ) and the ammo in the glove box. Am I doing this correctly ? Also, the place I go is in Dover, De which has different laws than the rest of DE. Can someone put my anxiety to rest ? Everyone tells me different things all the time . Thanks

Dave
    CHEF ON BOARD

RUGER SR9c

...takes some searching and reading...but here's a good starting place...also the Dover code of ordinances...also the actual state-printed laws (online), not just what someone says they say...but the actual laws...well-intentioned folks often give out bad advice...

http://www.deloc.org/docs/Delaware_Firearms_Laws.pdf

I would say that is more than sufficient, can't get the two much further apart than that! I just got home from Ommelanden on Rte 9, carried my shotgun and pistol in the cargo area of my Tahoe while my range bag containing ammo and targets were under the rear seat. I think you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by THOR_55 View Post
    I would say that is more than sufficient, can't get the two much further apart than that! I just got home from Ommelanden on Rte 9, carried my shotgun and pistol in the cargo area of my Tahoe while my range bag containing ammo and targets were under the rear seat. I think you're good to go.
    However, i may have to stop going to the range soon, as I cant find any 9mm ammo anywhere....Do you have any suggestions for some 9 ?
    CHEF ON BOARD

RUGER SR9c

Unfortunately I don't. I check the local walmart 3-4 times a week and most times they are wiped out like everywhere else. I never even shot my Ruger P95 today, pistol/rifle range was packed and I'm not necessarily dying to dip into my stash so I settled for some 5 stand fun with my Mossberg 500!

When in doubt, call your local police departments non emergency line and ask.
    TVJ likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

...the last person I'd risk my freedom, gun rights on is a public servant...be it a receptionist, administrator, or sworn officer...it's not their job to educate us on the laws we put in place...when we educate ourselves by digging out and reading them, then we KNOW what they are...

...my opinion's been formed by long experience at asking, then reading and finding out I've been told what THEY wanted...not what the law provides for...both when I was and wasn't an officer...some don't know, some don't care, and some have an agenda...

...God bless the child who's got his OWN...
    Oldpsufan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...the last person I'd risk my freedom, gun rights on is a public servant...be it a receptionist, administrator, or sworn officer...it's not their job to educate us on the laws we put in place...when we educate ourselves by digging out and reading them, then we KNOW what they are...
    well that sounds like a good idea....thank you , sir
    CHEF ON BOARD

RUGER SR9c

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    When in doubt, call your local police departments non emergency line and ask.
    Bad idea. You will almost certainly get the wrong answer. Delaware law is clear: you may not carry CONCEALED on or about the person with out a permit to do so.

The location of the ammo is of no consequence at all.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    If Del. is anything like the surrounding states, the ammo and gun (unloaded) must be separate, both in inaccessible locked containers in the trunk. Having a CC permit makes no difference if the state you are traveling through does not honor the state you are from. Next month I will be vacationing in Sandbridge, Va., which honors a PA. CCL but Maryland doesn't, so rather than go through the hassle I will be doing the above caution.

Sponsored Links