Another school panics & overreacts

This is a discussion on Another school panics & overreacts within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...se-Creuse-High Former high school student, now an airman at the Air National Guard base less than a mile from the school, enters the school before ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Another school panics & overreacts

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...se-Creuse-High

Former high school student, now an airman at the Air National Guard base less than a mile from the school, enters the school before classes to talk to a counselor about a letter of recommendation. Janitor sees guy in camouflage, flak jacket, and empty holster calls cops.

I have lived nearby the air base for all my life, and don't think twice when I see a guy in a camouflage outfit with a holster. Even when the holster has a gun in it!

How is this overreacting? He's there at 6:00 am, and as a former student, I'm sure he knows that school doesn't start that early. I mean, who was he expecting to see at 6:00 am? Don't you think the school board and other members of the administration have told all employees to "see" everything, be suspicious, and call about anything you might suspect. And then to not have the good sense to NOT go in camo or to think someone might suspect something is simply ignorant. Perhaps it's because he's just 21. I'm glad the school took such measures; better safe than sorry, especially since it didn't really disrupt the school day AND as the story reported, it's likely that no charges will be filed, meaning rationality prevailed.
    Snub44 and bmcgilvray like this.

To be fair I am trying to picture this. If I saw someone with a "flak vest" (I assume he means body armour), and a holster coming into a school, and the man was young or old, I might be scratching my head also and being a tad concerned.

Why on earth would you go to a school wearing anything other than just your uniform. If the dude was decked out like an urban SWAT guy then yeah, there would be time for concern.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

...sounds like a case of "Hey, look at what a big man I've become...ain't I awesome?!!!" very poor judgement...

The USMC proscribes the wearing of BDUs while off base. This episode illustrates one good reason for the value of such a policy.

I agree with Snub. Obviously showing off and obviously using poor judgement in doing so. And 6 AM is not exactly business hours unless he had some special arrangement with a counselor.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The USMC proscribes the wearing of BDUs while off base. This episode illustrates one good reason for the value of such a policy.
    Huh? I have seen them all the time wearing camo unniforms of base in many areas of the country. Are there exceptions?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

But were they Marines?

And, if they were, were they actually in violation?

One can "enjoy" the "city life" that Twentynine Palms, California has to offer, encountering Marines at every turn, and not see a single BDU until he enters the base.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I agree this was an over reaction. It should not be uncommon for anyone to see somebody in uniform near a military instillation.

Why would he be there at 6am wearing his uniform?

To meet with his former guidance councilor. (Before he had to report to work at 7am.)

Of course that's the reason! Before school begins & after school ends are the two best times for administrators to meet with parents & former students seeking recommendations. (I can't believe how ridiculous some sheeple have become.)

-
    oneshot likes this.

Yes they were ( I know the difference, low IQ, short haircut, big tattoos LOL j/k). All of the places I saw this were not near a marine base. I have seen them around San Antonio, Albuqurque, Ft. Meade.

Looked like most were just running into a Walmart for something, not out at a resteraunt.

Re: Another school panics & overreacts

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

I agree with Snub. Obviously showing off and obviously using poor judgement in doing so. And 6 AM is not exactly business hours unless he had some special arrangement with a counselor.
    Bdu stands for battle dress uniform. So that is the what he was wearing.

If Marines were in their BDUs (or are they termed CUUs in the Marine Corps?) and off base, running into WalMart and what-have-you, then they were breaking regulations. Unless they've amended the reg's recently to allow it. Wasn't so as late as last October.

At any rate, to get back on topic, it is apparent that the fellow in the OP's link got some attention if that is what he was seeking.
    pittypat21 likes this.

If the airmen wore an empty holster and a ballistic vest into the school he is a moron
    bmcgilvray and Exacto like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

It's still against regs for Marines to wear their cammies off base. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Marines like to break rules.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yes they were ( I know the difference, low IQ, short haircut, big tattoos LOL j/k). All of the places I saw this were not near a marine base. I have seen them around San Antonio, Albuqurque, Ft. Meade.

Looked like most were just running into a Walmart for something, not out at a resteraunt.
    If not anywhere near a marine base it could've been (a) a recruiter (I've known a couple that dismissed uniform regs) or (b) Marines on an Army base with a smaller unit, and chances of running into a senior Marine are slim, or (c) a corpsman.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I thought the guy was an Airman not a Marine...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links