laughable situation on the interstate last week

This is a discussion on laughable situation on the interstate last week within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i was stopped by a deputy on I 65 a few nights ago. the officer ask if i had any firearms and i said yes, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: laughable situation on the interstate last week

laughable situation on the interstate last week

i was stopped by a deputy on I 65 a few nights ago. the officer ask if i had any firearms and i said yes, i have a couple in my gun bag and one one my right hip.....he ask me to hand him the one i was wearing, and i did... after i gave him the gun he removed the mag and spent the next 2 to 3 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the chamberd round out of my cocked and locked 1911.... he then handed mt back the gun and ask me to remove the round... i just removed the round and gave the gun back to him....i did not get a ticket but i thought that this comical situation could have been deadly for the officer..... he didnt realise that you cant rac a slide with the saftey on...
    Eagleks likes this.

2. Remove Ads

It's hard to believe, but not everybody has handled/has experience with 1911's (which is a shame, but wise for ones wallet).
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by virg View Post
    ...this comical situation could have been deadly for the officer...
    If you thought it could be deadly for the officer why not tell him to remove the safety and rack the slide?

VIP Member
    It's alarming that he was willing to fiddle with a loaded firearm that he knew he knew nothing about.

At the point that he handed a chambered and cocked firearm back to you and asked you to un-chamber the round, demonstrated that he no longer deemed you a threat, therefore there should be no need to disarm you.

I'd be writing a letter to the station. He endangered both of you.

"Hand me the gun, sir"

"Here's the gun, officer"

*struggle struggle*

"You have to release the safety to rack the slide, officer"

*slide racks back*

"Thank you, sir"
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

...had it not been that the OP was an upstanding citizen, it would have been foolish for the officer to do what he did...but he made a judgement of character...and a wise action followed...imagine trying to tell an embarrassed officer how to keep his finger off the trigger, not squeeze the grip safety hard, not drop the gun, and release the safety, while jacking the slide...I think it went well...it's very sad that an LEO hasn't become familiar with the 1911...he's missed a blessing...

I don't see anything comical and IMHO the LEO is an IDIOT,sir hand me your gun so I
    can clear it BG SURE Officer BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG.If he was so concerned about Officer safety why is he having you unholster a gun?Number 2 he knows nothing about the gun but you think it might of been deadly for him?What if he ND'd A round into the side of your head? Still find it funny?
    I had a situation where I was stopped for a headlight that was burnt out and I carry a 1911 when the LEO asked me to hand her my gun I said it's probably a lot safer in the holster,she seemed to agree
    phreddy, BugDude and JDE101 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When i got pulled a while back,the trooper asked for my gun.I asked him,would he mind if i unloaded it first,even thou it was just a glock.Thats what the troopers carry here,except their's is the Gap.He said go ahead.Some LEOS just arent the expert that some people claim to be.That was just my 2nd time of having to go thru this and both times,the troopers were nice as they could be.

A lot of officers are only proficient with their duty weapons. Not really their fault, but you'd think it would be otherwise.

I don't think this officer is an idiot. In fact he seemed to handle the situation with equanimity. Would you rather he be the type that panics, starts screaming and behaving like a lunatic? The internet is rife with videos of this type of behavior. Moreover, it's unfair to expect all peace officers to be firearms experts. If you noticed the guy struggling with the piece, obviously unfamiliar with
    a 1911, why not just tell him about the safety? Now if he was pointing the thing in an unsafe direction, or lacked trigger discipline,
    that would be cause for concern. But this doesn't seem like such a big deal.
    crossfireltd likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Where on I-65 did you get pulled over and by what dept.?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They're "Glock spoiled." I rarely handle a 1911, but I think I could have figured that out. I bet long division would have really stumped him.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Let's see, what could go wrong after an officer asks you to hand them a gun... Hopefully nothing, but I sure don't want to have a gun in my hand during a conversation with an officer, and I certainly would not want to transfer a loaded weapon!

I carry in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holster. If this ever happens to me, the officer will be asked to remove the entire holster with gun in it from my waistband. That is one of the advantages of the clip style holsters.

Gun does not leave holster unless I'm going to use it or unload it and put it in a safe.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Never understood why my fellow LEOs want ppl on a traffic stop to handle a weapon, even to hand it to the officer. I would have just said, we won't have a problem as long as that gun stays on your hip. If ppl admit they have a gun, they usually aren't the ones to worry about. As to the OP, I'm glad you find it humorous, as no one was hurt, but that could have ended badly
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's alarming that he was willing to fiddle with a loaded firearm that he knew he knew nothing about.

At the point that he handed a chambered and cocked firearm back to you and asked you to un-chamber the round, demonstrated that he no longer deemed you a threat, therefore there should be no need to disarm you.

I'd be writing a letter to the station. He endangered both of you.

^^HeHeHeHeHe^^^^^^^^^^!!

That is even funnier than the story in the OP!

Not to mention he didn't ask for the TWO still in the bag, which any old lunatic hell bent on murder could have still gotten to in no time flat.

Hey OP, did you check to see if he had a bullet in his shirt pocket.
    sldcountry and JoJoGunn like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links