Sig Sauer p229 vs p220

Sig Sauer p229 vs p220

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer p229 vs p220 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was just wanting to know what the general forum knew about the pros and cons of the Sig Sauer p229 and the p220. Both for/against ...

Sig Sauer p229 vs p220

Was just wanting to know what the general forum knew about the pros and cons of the Sig Sauer p229 and the p220. Both for/against individually and versus each other.

There is a shop down the street from me that has both for sale for $600 (p229) and $650 (p220). Obviously both used at those prices!

My problem is that the p229 is chambered in .357 Sig. I'm guessing I'd be obligated to go and get the conversion to .40 kit just because. The p220 is .45 I believe. I looked at so many pistols yesterday...

Thanks

The P220 has a 4.4in barrel vs 3.9in for the P229. The current production P220 is only chambered in 45acp......early on they were available in 9mm. The P220 comes in 3 versions, full size with 4.4 inch barrel with a capacity of 8+1, Carry with a 3.9inch barrel and a full size grip with a 8+1 capacity and a Compact version with a 3.9inch barrel and a shortened stock with a capacity of 6+1. The P229 comes in 9mm, 357sig, and 40 s&w. The P229 is slightly heavier by an ounce or so than the P220. Both the P229 and P220 are excellent weapons and very accurate. The prices you were quoted is in line with what I've seen on the internet.

If you've never owned a Sig before and are not familiar with them let me give you a little advice. If the owner will let you, see if you can field strip the pistol you decide to purchase and take a close look at the full length rails. These Sigs have steel slides and aluminum frames. If there is one area of concern regarding wear on these pistols, it has to do with the slide rail wear. If they have/had been properly lubricated the rails should be black like the frame. If they have not been properly cared for, or if they have a lot of rounds down the tube you will see the black wearing through the anodized rails and will see grey or silver. You want the rails to be black, like the rest of the frame.

Good luck.....I own 3 Sigs and love mine.

I've got a Sig 220 Carry Elite Stainless. It's a beautiful, accurate gun and it's my favorite gun to shoot. It is also by far my heaviest pistol. I open carry it some or carry it in an OWB holster in the winter with a coat covering it. The previous poster is right about the frame rails. I lube mine after every range trip with white lithium grease (just the rails, not the whole gun). If the weight doesn't bother you, it's an excellent gun.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I do prefer heavier pistols because I feel like I have better control. I'm an old football player and the lighter guns don't necessarily feel comfortable in my hands. I will definitely look at the slide rails. I realized that the p229 is DAO so I'm not sure sure I like that. I wonder if they could turn it into SA/DA without too much trouble?

i have a p220, see avatar. its an amazing weapon, i looked over a 226 and a 229 before i went with the 220, all great guns, personally i like the .45. tho the 226 came in real close.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Links