2nd Amendment Rights for Felons

This is a discussion on 2nd Amendment Rights for Felons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think that nonviolent felons should have their 2nd Amendment rights restored after they have payed their dues and proven they can be a responsible ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 2nd Amendment Rights for Felons

2nd Amendment Rights for Felons

I think that nonviolent felons should have their 2nd Amendment rights restored after they have payed their dues and proven they can be a responsible citizen. I think a decade is enough time.

I started this petition and I hope you all sign it and share.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...elons/XfLnvW3K

People make bad choices all the time. If they can prove themselves to be reformed, then I don't see any reason they should not be able to defend their home, their family and themselves.
    I don't see any reason they should not be allowed to hunt and feed their family.
    Vermontgunowner and ANGLICO like this.

2. Remove Ads

Currently, your link is displaying a 404 error. "Unavailable For View"
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Welcome from South Carolina

I agree with you. There are also a lot of stupid fellonies. In vermont we only have 1 type of felony. All of them get you baned from firearn ownership by federall law.
    3rd conviction of driving without a licence. A bar tender who serves 3 minors a drink, there are litterely hundreds of them in this state. Be carefull of what you wish for when you say (Enforce the laws that are allready on the books).
    The newist is the notice sent out by the A.T.F. It says if you have a medical marawana (sorry about the spelling) card you will be prosicuted as a habittual user of illegal drugs if your cought with a single bullett.

2nd Amendment

circumstantial case by case bases, basically if you are convicted of a felony, you should be able to petition the courts to amend your record to allow the use and possession/carry of firearms, approval from a least a district court judge. a review of the incident, measures taken as to not happen again, time served/punishment applied should all be taken into account..buuuut thats just me.
    crossfireltd likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

If you play, you pay...Sure...give the felon their 2nd Amendment rights back after 20 years of crime free living...Otherwise, they made their choice...JMO
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

IMO, why just bar the second amendment post-release? Why not lose the right to silence post-conviction? Or the right to council? I mean, why do felons deserve lawyers? Or lose the right to not have soldiers quartered in your house?

If it's a right, it's a right. All revolutionaries are criminals to the government they're fighting, anyway.

IMO
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    If you play, you pay...Sure...give the felon their 2nd Amendment rights back after 20 years of crime free living...Otherwise, they made their choice...JMO
    i must respectfully disagree, there is just too many convoluded laws out there, while ignorance of the law is not an acceptable defense, there are some silly felonys out there, thats why it should be a case by case basis.
    Vermontgunowner likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    circumstantial case by case bases, basically if you are convicted of a felony, you should be able to petition the courts to amend your record to allow the use and possession/carry of firearms, approval from a least a district court judge. a review of the incident, measures taken as to not happen again, time served/punishment applied should all be taken into account..buuuut thats just me.
    In Vermont you can't do that because a fellon dosent lose their rights. The only thing you can do is get a pardon from the govenor. He does 2 each year. Better be connected.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    And the person with a misdeameanor who paralyzed someone for life while driving like a lunatic can have all of their rights? I don't think so. Too many things are felonies which are harmless (to people and property) while folks with misdeamoners have committed awful crimes.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I signed it. I believe in second chances for people. God Bless

I have no problem with convicted felons owning guns. I mean you don't even have to be "convicted" of anything to be targeted by a drone , just "suspected" of terrorist activity. Same goes for being detained indefinitely under the patriot act, with no due process. At least that's how I understand it.

I have no problem with convicted violent felons retaining their second ammendment rights either. When they get out of prison let them have guns. But then why are we letting convicted felons out of prison anyway? Oh yeah, I forgot. The same liberal judges who are afraid of our guns are equally afraid to enforce the existing sentencing guidelines, so they let these guys out on a whim. Maybe there should be a rule that if a violent prisoner is released early, he has to meet with his parole officer each time at the residence of the judge who sentenced him.

A similar thread ran back in January, here: Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms??
    Might be worthwhile seeing some of the opinions voiced at that time.

I'll save you a few mouse clicks and repeat my response in that earlier thread: Count me among those who are against restoring rights to convicted felons in all but exceptional cases. There is no such thing as an "ex-felon," no more than there is an "ex-mother." If someone has a problem with certain crimes being felonies with the attendant loss of civil rights, then the proper course of action is to have such crimes reclassified as misdemeanors. But don't expect me to sign up to lobby for giving Bernie Madoff or similar "non-violent" criminals any civil rights back. Don Henley said it in a song: "a man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun."
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links