The Single Action Revolver: A practical addition? What do you think?

This is a discussion on The Single Action Revolver: A practical addition? What do you think? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently gained an interested in revolvers, in particular Ruger double actions. That got me thinking about one of the first .22's I've ever fired, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Single Action Revolver: A practical addition? What do you think?

Sponsor

I recently gained an interested in revolvers, in particular Ruger double actions. That got me thinking about one of the first .22's I've ever fired, and of of the funnest guns, my fathers .22 single action.

Recently I started looking at the ruger single six and the blackhawk. I used to consider of these just range guns. Then I got thinking, why do I consider these single action revolvers JUST range guns? I wouldn't consider a bolt action rifle to be just a range piece because of an "antiquated, slow firing design".

I think my previous opinion of single actions being only valuable for range use and interesting for their classic looks and history is putting an incredibly low expectation on a very reliable and durable revolver. Now I'm of the mindset that a durable single action revolver could make a great camp, truck, and hunting gun.

So what do you guys think? Where does a single action revolver fall in your gun collection? Do you see it as a practical tool or just an interesting addition?

Thanks!
    Clay

EDC of course!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Senior Moderator
    SA makes a Great hunting revolver
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    ^^ That. Plus a great addition to any collection. I shot my Blackhawk better than I ever shoot my semis.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

One of my Ruger Blackhawk's is near to hand all the time when I am working around the farm.
    I have hunted with single action revolvers for years. Everything from rabbits to black bear. great gun and ultra reliable. IMHO

Do a quick search here on DC and you will find a number of threads devoted to single action revolvers.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

There is nothing more smile inducing than shooting a 22 lr SA revolver,,, except having one in each hand cowboy style
    bmcgilvray and ctr like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I love my single actions. Don't forget to checkout the Ruger Bearcat.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Go for it. I think a handgunner's collection is incomplete without some SA entries. My Single Six is a great shooter, and a .357 or .44 Blackhawk is high on the wish list.

I find the Single Six is a great training tool for new shooters. Perfect for simple trigger and sight work, the manual cocking slows the beginning shooter down so each shot is (or should be) deliberate, and just six shots before reloading.
    bmcgilvray and Sky Pilot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    They are great additions to any collection. Fun to shoot! I love the 45LC.
    bmcgilvray and R040607 like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

None in my collection...yet. The only semi auto I have any interest in adding to my collection is a 1911. Beyond that the last five guns I have bought were all revolvers. I'm not done with semi autos, just really have low interest in adding more and my semi auto stable covers my needs from full size, compact, subcompact, 22LR plinker etc.

I'm not sure if I want to add SA revolvers to my lineup. With the cost of ammo I can barely afford to feed the guns already in my collection. But there is something about the nostalgia of a SA revolver.

If and when I get one it will be a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible or Ruger Single Six or Single Ten.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

A single-action revolver is way more practical than current conventional wisdom would have us believe. A single-action revolver is a repeating handgun, capable of easy and rapid shot-to-shot manipulation. A single-action revolver can utilize a wide range of powerful cartridges and is capable of accurately applying bullets on target.

I occasionally carry one in a belt holster when I hike on our place. While not my first choice for personal self-defense, I wouldn't feel especially cheated to have to press my single-action revolver into use if needed. It's fairly elderly, but still offers adequate power, accuracy, and has always been mechanically sound and trouble-free for the 30 years I've owned it.

The fun factor has to count for something too. Shooting single-action revolvers offers pleasant amusement on a fine afternoon. Shooting single-actions is instructive too, offering practice in trigger control, sight alignment, proper hold, and pacing oneself. Guns would be entirely boring if one could only take them seriously at all times.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Ruger Bearcat. Best SA 22 there is. Guaranteed to make the shooter smile.

VIP Member
    With all of the guns being sold out, my LGS has plenty of these to choose from.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

While they might not be the "best" option for defense, you would be very well protected with a brace of SA revolvers, a coach gun, and a lever action rifle. They worked then, and they still work now. And as a bonus, they are much more "PC" as well.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I think .45 long Colt is the ONLY handgun ammo consistently in stock at Wally World anymore.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links