Took co-worker to the range

This is a discussion on Took co-worker to the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Over the last several months I got one of my co-workers into guns. Now, he's just eat up with it. He's bought numerous handguns and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By mprp

Thread: Took co-worker to the range

Took co-worker to the range

Over the last several months I got one of my co-workers into guns. Now, he's just eat up with it. He's bought numerous handguns and rifles over the last couple months. So, he came by last night after work and we went to the range.

It gave me a chance to shoot my new Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm. Man, what a dream to shoot!!! Just popping little dot stickers placed around the target at will from 10 yards.

My co-worker was shooting a large 38 revolver, a LCR in 38, and a tiny Kahr 9mm. He was doing great with his large revolver but a little all over the place with the others. He asked for a few pointers, so I invested a few minutes in helping him with grip (difference between revolver grip and subcompact pistol grip, getting higher towards the bore axis, etc.), finger position and trigger actuation, and alignment of slide with forearm and BOOM. He was like a marksman!!!

A few minutes later I broke out my XD40sc and he had never shot a 40 caliber before. I put up a fresh target and loaded a mag and let him step in the booth. He picked it up and put 10 out of 10 in the bullseye from 10 yards. Geez, I've been shooting over 30 years and I only put 8 out of 10 in it.

I shot his Kahr and that's a neat little gun. Shot pretty good.

I put some rounds through my PT709 while I was there, and it was flawless...as always. That's about 2,200 rounds now without a malf. I think I can consider it reliable.

It was a short range trip, but very productive. I think my XDm 4.5 19+1 9mm was an excellent choice for a hi cap HD gun. Shoots dreamily. I also reinforced to myself that I shoot my XD40sc better than any other small carry weapon (outside of my snubbie revolvers), and my PT709 is a reliable little deep conceal piece. Glad I got to shoot a Kahr for the first time. I was also proud to see that a co-worker I influenced to get into firearms is enjoying it so much and getting darn good with them too. He said his wife is getting into it and she now has a couple guns too. They took their CPL class and have applied for their carry permits. He lives down the street, so I'm glad to know our neighborhood is safer.

All in all, a great evening!!!
    Lish, blitzburgh and krisspy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's awesome...nice job introducing somebody to the world of shooting sports/self-defense who previously wasn't into before. I've a got a couple of buddies I'm working on, as well. Nothing wrong with having some buddies to hit the range with at anytime.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

It's always a pleasure getting someone into shooting. A friend and colleague of mine and his wife are taking their CCW class later on this month whom I have exposed to the firearms / CCW world, which in turn got his brother into it, which in turn got his brother's wife into it.....good stuff.
    BugDude likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I believe in taking people to the range and all. To introduce newbs to shooting. But a co-worker to the range. You all see the terminator movies.

Nice to see that spreading a little love can go a long way. Congrats on having someone else to help watch your "six" around the neighborhood.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just noticed where you live Bug. Make sure you and your buddy sign up for those anger management classes.
    NRA Life Member

Great to hear! Well done sir.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    Just noticed where you live Bug. Make sure you and your buddy sign up for those anger management classes.
    I saw that article today, the FL legislator proposing a requirement to take anger management classes if you buy ammo or guns. I'm going to propose that all legislators be required to sign up for Stupid Management classes.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I saw that article today, the FL legislator proposing a requirement to take anger management classes if you buy ammo or guns. I'm going to propose that all legislators be required to sign up for Stupid Management classes.
    And medical tests to confirm a lack of spine and testicles...

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    And medical tests to confirm a lack of spine and testicles...
    Given this particular FL legislator, I'm fairly certain she would fail at least one of these medical tests...of course, as things seem to be nowadays that's not a safe assumption to make either.

Links