Gun Safe Question

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have no experience with gun safes.......Growing up my dad kept his "extra guns" locked in the closet. I have an old gun safe in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jcm
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Gun Safe Question

Gun Safe Question

I have no experience with gun safes.......Growing up my dad kept his "extra guns" locked in the closet. I have an old gun safe in good condition (no rust, ect.) that I am about to refurbish (paint, change locks, add shelves, ect.). I live in Fl....... Do I NEED a dehumidifier in it? Right now I keep my firearms in my closet and they are free from rust. Currently we live in an older mobile home and it is rather drafty and not at all "air tight" so our A/C unit will not really help much in keeping out the humidity. However, the guns are doing fine in my closet, so, wouldn't they be fine in my safe without a dehumidifier?

Thanks,
    BekahM

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    If they're doing fine as it is, a few desiccant packs might help. They aren't expensive and can help. Cheaper than a dehumidifier I would assume.

Thats what a friend of mine also suggested. Also, would you recommend an electronic lock or keyed locks? It came with two tubular cam locks, but I can install either one.

I'd go with a keyed lock. Electronic locks have spotty reputations. Spin dial would be better.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

30 dollar remington dehumidifier works great.

dial lock (like on a high school locker) is best.

fire resistant safe is best.

Yes, if their fine in your closet they'll be fine in your safe.
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

jcm
    Your closet gets regular air circulation every time you open it. I'm willing to bet your safe is not too ventilated, so unless you open it at least a couple times each day, all that humid air will just stay put. A $30 dehumidifier rod is pretty cheap insurance. They last forever and cost pennies per day to operate (IF that much).
    kb2wji likes this.

Here's everything you want to know about safes...lots of infor here, enjoy!

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jcm View Post
    Your closet gets regular air circulation every time you open it. I'm willing to bet your safe is not too ventilated, so unless you open it at least a couple times each day, all that humid air will just stay put. A $30 dehumidifier rod is pretty cheap insurance. They last forever and cost pennies per day to operate (IF that much).
    Actually, dehumidifiers run pretty much constantly and are not as cheap as you might think to run them. You can monitor how many kilowatt hours yours uses in a month by getting one of these and plugging the dehumidifer into it and select KWH mode. Run it for 30 days and multiply the amount of KWH on the display by your local rate (somewhere between 10 and 30 cents per KWH). This will tell you how many $$$ per month that thing sucks from the wall outlet...

P3 - Kill A Watt

Since I work for a power company, run 2 or 3 dehumidifiers just to be sure to keep the guns safe from humidity.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Thanks for all the help...... I'm excited to finally be getting one in here! I'll be sure to check out the "Gun Safe Buyer's Guide" website.

Thanks,
    BekahM

Links